• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

convert pdf to eps?

J Hill Designs

yeah sorry didnt actually try by picking a pdf...but it seems it will convert pdf to mp3 rofl...

I can try if you want...ill pm my address

m giese

I have X3, you can open the pdf and export to an eps file... export, not save or save as....

don't know if this helps, but figured it was close in versions, though I am guessing you have tried that.

m giese

also... zamzar, convert pdf to ps then convert ps to eps... no idea what the results will be, but the price is right. good luck.

royster13

I remember reading a thread here about this. Did a search and couldnt find it. I have xara 6 and corel 12. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

pdf is not a file format.....What program created the native file that is inside the pdf?.....Does the resulting eps need to be vector?....If the native file is not vector neither will the end result....

as stated before if the PDF was not originally in vector format it will not end that way. I can import into flexi with a PDF and export as an EPS let me know if you need help

axis

"pdf is not a file format..."

Just out of curiosity, if I create a file in Acrobat and save it as a pdf, what is it?

@OP- when you say "eps" do you mean vector file? Bitmaps can be saved as eps files, too. PDF files contain (among other things) a truncated version of Illustrator eps. If you know anyone with a current version of Illustrator you can open the pdf to see what you have. If it does contain vector art you can then save it back to a more compatible file, like AI10 or even AI8.

royster13

"pdf is not a file format..."

Just out of curiosity, if I create a file in Acrobat and save it as a pdf, what is it?

Mostly garbage if the sender and receiver are not using the same programs....But I could have said it better.....

I can convert a Publisher file to pdf and if someone tries to open it in another program and try to convert it to an eps it will be a disaster....

PS....I have been to Rosyln WA.....Had to see where Northern Exposure was made....

axis

I'd have to agree about the "garbage". A surprising amount of which comes from spendy design firms, where producing a clean file seems to be an unknown skill.

Publisher should be banned from the universe.

Did the OP ever get this figured out?

BPI Color

I don't think exporting to eps is going to help you. For instance, the font info (even if the entire font was embedded vs embed subset) is not fixed in the eps format. If that font is not on your system you could be up a creek. Especially if those fonts are from a legacy Mac postscript type 1 font. I have no experience with Xara. Can you place a PDF and then use a flatten/transperancy preset to outline fonts like Illustrator?

And I heartily agree with Axis, death to Publisher.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
pdf is not a file format.....What program created the native file that is inside the pdf?.....Does the resulting eps need to be vector?....If the native file is not vector neither will the end result....

Finally someone gets it. A PDF is a container for various objects in various formats. It itself is not a format such as vector, jpg, tif, etc. The objects being put into a PDF do not, generally, require that their information be converted to some other format.

Converting a PDF to some other format is much like converting an automobile into a set of tires.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Finally someone gets it. A PDF is a container for various objects in various formats. It itself is not a format such as vector, jpg, tif, etc. The objects being put into a PDF do not, generally, require that their information be converted to some other format.

Converting a PDF to some other format is much like converting an automobile into a set of tires.

What exactly do you mean? A pdf created by Illustrator is often the EXACT same file as the equivalent ai or eps. If I save my vector file as a pdf and someone opens it up in Illustrator, it will look exactly the same. However there are ways to downgrade the file when saving as a pdf. Such as toying with live text and embedded images can be made worse depending on settings. Also some effects in Illustrator do become funky for lack of a better word.

Now a pdf created by non Adobe software can in fact create problems.