• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cool Signs in Montgomery, TX, doesn't pay their bills

Sam Nitzberg

Title is pretty self-explanatory. Won't answer phones, won't return messages... they've got national accounts and hired us for an installation, which has been completed for several months. Just a word to the wise...

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Just looking at their website, I would never consider even calling them for a bumper sticker.
It's spelled WHETHER.

Sam Nitzberg

Yeah, nice. They contacted us for a local install of a channel letters at a Bassett Furniture location, paid their deposit (thank god), shipped us the sign, we installed, never heard from them again. Why would one sign company do this to another?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Third party sh!t always gets paid in advance. From sign shops to insurance claims. You ask why would a sign company do it ?? Why would anyone do it ?? Because they are thieves and they're in every type business out there. They know you probably would not be persistent. So, they do it. Eventually they will pay, if you hound them, but they figure you'll just write it off and take their chances.

reQ

over 4 years ago, i was given contract to install new signs (channel letters; light boxes, metal awnings) for local Burger King location. Sign company is located in Los Angeles & i will not put any names here just because.
Took me over 3 months to get them to pay for it. Was the same situation - could not get a hold of the person who contacted me, could not get a hold of accounts payable. So one day i just told the person who picked up the phone, that i would rather get paid for it as was agreed on signed contract (yes, we had paper signed with them for this job) than sending it to collections. Back then, bill was over $4500 US dollars, so for me it was big chunk on money to lose. Next day they called me and said that they are sending the cheque with Fedex overnight. Did not lie, received it next morning.

eahicks

They possibly haven't got paid from their customer (Bassett - highly unlikely though). But still...

Kottwitz-Graphics

Just send them a nice friendly reminder post card (not a letter, post card so everyone can read it) with a copy of the balance due, and a bright red "past due" stamp... that may get the ball rolling...

...OR...

A middle of the night sign removal...

eahicks

How da heck you found it lol. I tried googling

1)Cool Signs
2)Cool Signs Montgomery
3)Cool Signs Sign Sytems - after saw the website from the link.

Google shows nothing :D

I just googled 'cool signs texas'

Kwiksigns

wookie
Doesn't really apply as they are not on the list, but I always check the sign syndicate forum for reviews of national distributors when I get a RFQ from any out of state company. Their actual forum is not nearly as active as signs101, but they have an extensive list of large and small national companies that have good and bad reviews on it that has come in pretty handy...

You could always sign up on there and get them added.

Jean Shimp

Wonder what would happen if you send a bill to Bassett Furniture for the unpaid balance?? Threaten to remove the sign?? Just curious if you could stir up some grief and get a resolution. Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time letting that stuff go.

visual800

Email them and state signs will be removed if not paid. I had to do that with a Fastsigns that hired us out. That really wakes them up.

Sam Nitzberg

I'm sure Bassett wouldn't help. Too corporate, I was a subcontractor of a subcontractor... Removing one letter -- I think just the "B" would be nice -- is more along the lines of what I'm thinking might have to be next. Then charge them for the reinstallation in order to do that!

TheSnowman

According to their website, you must have gotten the "green alternative"...unfortunately they forget to tell everyone that the "green" is cash.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure Bassett wouldn't help. Too corporate, I was a subcontractor of a subcontractor... Removing one letter -- I think just the "B" would be nice -- is more along the lines of what I'm thinking might have to be next. Then charge them for the reinstallation in order to do that!

You'll be playing with fire if you do this. I know many here won't agree, but you will be. Bassett had nothing to do with this in any way whatsoever. That aside, once you instal those letters, they are now attached to the wall and you'll be tampering with private property, now. You put them up and unless you can prove you have in writing an order to remove them...... that's no longer a legal issue of getting paid, but vandalism, along with some very other harsh criminal charges. It's not their fault, you didn't get paid. If you even insinuate to the sub you are gonna do this, they'll just laugh at you for taking the law into your own hands. Now, you might end up owing far more than what you're owed.