• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Copyright Release Statement

Does anyone have an example of a letter for releasing the copyrights for work you've done? We have done this a few times with logos but this is the first time one of my customers asked for a formal letter stating the release of the copyrights.

Thanks
Stuart

jiarby

That is why they invented lawyers...

Tell them to draw it up as they want and you will sign it. As long as you got paid.

Techman

just write him one. All you have ot say is. All rights to XXX is released to His Name forever. dated and sign it. ITs over.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I always keep right of promotion, you have to be careful how you word a copyright release and your contract should state before an work is done...

On some designs I may do a quicky release...

(my name) give full copyrights to (name of person) with no restriction of use of the following artwork (name of artwork)

I retain rights of promotion

I usually have a contract that stipulates usage and scope of work. I ALWAYS keep rights of promotion, I may limit usage or I may not, the only usage I may limit is if the logo or design turns into a product for franchising. Then I list costs associated with that. Or if it's a sign, especially a themed sign, that the scope of work was to be for a single location. Then they get this....

If there is clipart you need to make sure they know that third party artwork is not included in the transfer (you should not be using clipart for logos anyway but i thought I would bring it up)

I, (list name) as designer, and the undersigned, declare that the (list material) entitled:

Designer hereby grants to Client (list clients name) the exclusive, perpetual and worldwide right and license to use, reproduce, adapt, modify and display the Final Art solely in connection with the Project as defined in the Proposal and in accordance with the terms and conditions of the design agreement dated 00/00/0000.

NAME___
ADDRESS___
PHONE___
EMAIL___

If you do not have a agreement or contract, then you can add a list of rights you retain....
Always.. I MEAN ALWAYS retain the right of promotion... this may include the following but you can cut it way down if it's too wordy.

Designer retains the right to reproduce, publish and
display the Deliverables in Designer’s portfolios and Web sites, and in galleries, design periodicals and other media or exhibits for the purposes of recognition of creative excellence or professional advancement, and to be credited with authorship of the Deliverables in connection with such uses. Either party, subject to the other’s reasonable approval, may describe its role in relation to the Project and, if applicable, the services
provided to the other party on its Web site and in other promotional materials, and, if not expressly objected to, include a link to the other party’s Web site.

Then list others right you wish to retain.

W

wetgravy

I always keep right of promotion, you have to be careful how you word a copyright release and your contract should state before an work is done...

On some designs I may do a quicky release...

(my name) give full copyrights to (name of person) with no restriction of use of the following artwork (name of artwork)

I retain rights of promotion

I usually have a contract that stipulates usage and scope of work. I ALWAYS keep rights of promotion, I may limit usage or I may not, the only usage I may limit is if the logo or design turns into a product for franchising. Then I list costs associated with that. Or if it's a sign, especially a themed sign, that the scope of work was to be for a single location. Then they get this....

If there is clipart you need to make sure they know that third party artwork is not included in the transfer (you should not be using clipart for logos anyway but i thought I would bring it up)

I, (list name) as designer, and the undersigned, declare that the (list material) entitled:

Designer hereby grants to Client (list clients name) the exclusive, perpetual and worldwide right and license to use, reproduce, adapt, modify and display the Final Art solely in connection with the Project as defined in the Proposal and in accordance with the terms and conditions of the design agreement dated 00/00/0000.

NAME___
ADDRESS___
PHONE___
EMAIL___

If you do not have a agreement or contract, then you can add a list of rights you retain....
Always.. I MEAN ALWAYS retain the right of promotion... this may include the following but you can cut it way down if it's too wordy.

Designer retains the right to reproduce, publish and
display the Deliverables in Designer’s portfolios and Web sites, and in galleries, design periodicals and other media or exhibits for the purposes of recognition of creative excellence or professional advancement, and to be credited with authorship of the Deliverables in connection with such uses. Either party, subject to the other’s reasonable approval, may describe its role in relation to the Project and, if applicable, the services
provided to the other party on its Web site and in other promotional materials, and, if not expressly objected to, include a link to the other party’s Web site.

Then list others right you wish to retain.

+1 to this. Pretty much the same as mine.