Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corel and cutting method

Discussion in 'Corel' started by Alan D, May 13, 2008.

1. Alan D

Alan D Member

May 8, 2008
    Just interested, how many of you use Corel as your main job generation programme and how to send it to a cutter/printer ie export to another sign programme and output from there/use utillity that came with cutter/other method.
    Alan D

Tags:
  2. Cadmn

Cadmn Very Active Member

Aug 19, 2005
    I use a roland cutter & it sets up just like a printer no need for any add on proggy

3. Kottwitz-Graphics

Kottwitz-Graphics Very Active Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ridgely, MD
    I use Corel 13 to design and cut from. Summa came with a disk that installs a plugin that sends the job to the cutter.

If I were going to upgrade, I would get CoCut. It has the ability to add horizontal and vertical weed lines. (My plug in will only do a weed box).

4. w2csa

w2csa Active Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Canandaigua. NY
    I use Corle X3.
    I set up a specific color and name it:
    CutContour Exactly as it is typed here, then save as a .eps.
    I use the Roland Colorip. I import the .eps file and it is all ready to cut.
    Hope this helps.
    Chris

5. Alan D

Alan D Member

May 8, 2008
    Just interested really, incidentally there is a vba that puts weed boarder around objects with a horizontal central weed line, not as sophisticated as some but does a basic job.
    Alan D

6. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    We use Corel X3 along with CoCut Pro.

7. flyinhawaiian968

flyinhawaiian968 Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Corel X3 with Roland Cutstudio for our CX300, and Versaworks for our XC540.

8. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

BEEN CUTTIN FROM COREL TO ROLAND.....SINCE 1992...and in all that time ive never NEEDED A WEED BORDER...
    i usually reset all i need to cut, onto the 23.50" high by 100.00 long space and tell it to cut SELECTED ITEMS...this way it cuts only what i box and will stop at what ever lenght it uses.

9. Alan D

Alan D Member

May 8, 2008
    I would be lost without putting weed boarders on, I just find it easier for production with less waste, just goes to show there are so many different workflows out there.
    Alan D

10. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    If you aitn used a weed border and power weed lines,, then you simply have not experienced the real pleasure of power weeding..

The pleasure is when you can rip up a line of weeds in one swoop as fast as you can pull it up..
    No power weeding is fine when all you have to do is one job. But when you got 180 feet of vinyl lying on the table,, and more jobs in the que, and customers due to pick up in a couple of hours.. thats when power weeding is really nice..

Doing a banner in just 30 minutes start to finish makes for some really nice returns.. Especially when you charge them extra to have them "done in an hour"

11. tommythesignguy

tommythesignguy Active Member

I cut directly to the Roland from Corel 12, but, have a second machine that I copy and paste to a cutting program. Sometimes I must export an EPS or AI to it.

12. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

nun ya can read i guess....or i didnt say it right.
    I NEST(is that better?)all i need to cutonto plotter sheet, so weed border is usless. on large letters, how hard is it to run the exacto down the sheet of vinyl???
    i had a prgram with a weed border at one time called PRO-CUT(related to CO-CUT). was a pain in my arse......to use it....

13. flyinhawaiian968

flyinhawaiian968 Member

Mar 12, 2008
    lol!

I don't use borders or weed lines with only one exception. If I'm doing something really intricate, like 1 inch tall or smaller lettering, and/or scriptish types of fonts that are small, I'll do a center weed line from within corel (line through the center of text, then knockout the line with the text), this makes it easier for weeding without losing a letter since I'm only weeding half of the line.

Other than that, weed like a man! Pull the whole 54" sheet of print/lam/cut letters in one piece!!! :wink:

Chris

14. I use X3 with my graphtec. It came with Cutting master 2. It has a plug in. It is an icon in the application launcher. I just click it and away it goes to cutting master, the I cut from there.

15. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    Same as Lange..

X3 with the Graphtec plug in... works great.

16. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    OKI data dot matrix and a razor blade!

17. Alan D

Alan D Member

May 8, 2008
    I think the Graphtec plugin is one of the better freebies I've seen, looking at the start screen it looks as if Scanved Amiable has something to do with so I assume it is similar to Flexi
    Alan D

18. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Alan you are correct the Graphtec plug is a skimmed down version of Flexi's production manager!

19. Alan D

Alan D Member

May 8, 2008
    I have to admit I prefere Signlabs cutting front end but Cutting master is very good for a freebie and it also has the automatic weld, Signlab doesn't have that at all. Brian, watch your fingers on that razor blade.
    Alan D

20. hamiltonaudio

hamiltonaudio New Member

Jul 29, 2006
    I too am a Corel X3 fan - then export as CMX - open direct in Flexi and cut.