• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel and cutting method

Alan D

Just interested, how many of you use Corel as your main job generation programme and how to send it to a cutter/printer ie export to another sign programme and output from there/use utillity that came with cutter/other method.
Alan D

Kottwitz-Graphics

I use Corel 13 to design and cut from. Summa came with a disk that installs a plugin that sends the job to the cutter.

If I were going to upgrade, I would get CoCut. It has the ability to add horizontal and vertical weed lines. (My plug in will only do a weed box).

w2csa

I use Corle X3.
I set up a specific color and name it:
CutContour Exactly as it is typed here, then save as a .eps.
I use the Roland Colorip. I import the .eps file and it is all ready to cut.
Hope this helps.
Chris

Alan D

Just interested really, incidentally there is a vba that puts weed boarder around objects with a horizontal central weed line, not as sophisticated as some but does a basic job.
Alan D

OldPaint

BEEN CUTTIN FROM COREL TO ROLAND.....SINCE 1992...and in all that time ive never NEEDED A WEED BORDER...
i usually reset all i need to cut, onto the 23.50" high by 100.00 long space and tell it to cut SELECTED ITEMS...this way it cuts only what i box and will stop at what ever lenght it uses.

Alan D

I would be lost without putting weed boarders on, I just find it easier for production with less waste, just goes to show there are so many different workflows out there.
Alan D

Techman

ive never NEEDED A WEED BORDER

If you aitn used a weed border and power weed lines,, then you simply have not experienced the real pleasure of power weeding..

The pleasure is when you can rip up a line of weeds in one swoop as fast as you can pull it up..
No power weeding is fine when all you have to do is one job. But when you got 180 feet of vinyl lying on the table,, and more jobs in the que, and customers due to pick up in a couple of hours.. thats when power weeding is really nice..

Doing a banner in just 30 minutes start to finish makes for some really nice returns.. Especially when you charge them extra to have them "done in an hour"

tommythesignguy

I cut directly to the Roland from Corel 12, but, have a second machine that I copy and paste to a cutting program. Sometimes I must export an EPS or AI to it.

OldPaint

nun ya can read i guess....or i didnt say it right.
I NEST(is that better?)all i need to cutonto plotter sheet, so weed border is usless. on large letters, how hard is it to run the exacto down the sheet of vinyl???
i had a prgram with a weed border at one time called PRO-CUT(related to CO-CUT). was a pain in my arse......to use it....

flyinhawaiian968

lol!

I don't use borders or weed lines with only one exception. If I'm doing something really intricate, like 1 inch tall or smaller lettering, and/or scriptish types of fonts that are small, I'll do a center weed line from within corel (line through the center of text, then knockout the line with the text), this makes it easier for weeding without losing a letter since I'm only weeding half of the line.

Other than that, weed like a man! Pull the whole 54" sheet of print/lam/cut letters in one piece!!! :wink:

Chris

I use X3 with my graphtec. It came with Cutting master 2. It has a plug in. It is an icon in the application launcher. I just click it and away it goes to cutting master, the I cut from there.

Alan D

I think the Graphtec plugin is one of the better freebies I've seen, looking at the start screen it looks as if Scanved Amiable has something to do with so I assume it is similar to Flexi
Alan D

Alan D

I have to admit I prefere Signlabs cutting front end but Cutting master is very good for a freebie and it also has the automatic weld, Signlab doesn't have that at all. Brian, watch your fingers on that razor blade.
Alan D