• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Draw or Adobe which do you prefer?

Air Art Girl

Most people do not realize the power of Corel Photo Paint that is connected to Corel Draw. It's an amazing program and I use it 95% of the time to design. Unfortunately, the Adobe products are better know and therefore are more widely used.

This is a boxer or briefs type of discussion though!!!!

hammered

I have tried both and like Corel. Its just an easier layout for the tool sand such for me. I know both are equally fine if you know them. I just like Corel.

vid

(edit)...I have never used either Corel or Adobe so i don't really know the difference. I will be interested in the future in doing custom designs, shading, transparencies, etc. Do you guys know the difference between Corel and Adobe & which one do you prefer?

I use both everyday. It just depends on which hammer I need, as to my preference day to day.

I adore the elegance of Illustrator. It's simple to me and I prefer it for design and illustration. ...and all the tools work.

Corel is more function oriented for me and I prefer it for diagramming and composite layouts - specifically the measuring tools and multiple pages. Some of the tools can end up with goofy results, though.

It's interesting to me seeing the different layouts created by individual artists using each tool. With intermediate/advanced users of each, I can typically tell the difference between the use of the two applications because of the way the layout has evolved and the tools used.

Because you mention designing, shading, and transparencies, I'd suggest leaning towards Illustrator. To me, it's got a stronger set of these types of tools. ...and the terminology and effects of the tools are based on traditional process camera work.

Though, you can create similar effects in Corel, they appear to me to be just that, effects. They seem to be based on computer coincidences rather than mechanical techniques of yore. I'm a traditionalist snob that way. To pick one, I prefer Illustrator for it's kinship to industry heritage as well as it's ability to make pretty pictures. ...probably the reason it is the industry standard of graphic design. ...but hey, get and learn both.

Is the newer versions of Illustrator more user friendly than v.10??

no...

Grafix USA

I use both. I like AI because I'm so used to Photoshop and it's controls are close but Corel does some things better. Download the 30 day free trial of each and play with them to see which one you like best.

Ken

Its difficult if you try to learn both at the same time. I prefer CorelDraw..X3..havent tried 14 yet.
Ken

Its difficult if you try to learn both at the same time. I prefer CorelDraw..X3..havent tried 14 yet.

Not really. It is when you get into a "habit" of one package that the curve gets really steep.

Most people do not realize the power of Corel Photo Paint that is connected to Corel Draw

Absolutely true......but since being left hanging by some crazy CorelDraw quirks I would not want to rely on it.

I use both everyday. It just depends on which hammer I need, as to my preference day to day.

Corel is more function oriented for me and I prefer it for diagramming and composite layouts - specifically the measuring tools and multiple pages. Some of the tools can end up with goofy results, though.

Yep.

Even with all its quirks, everybody should still have Corel's graphic suite.

Chappy

I use Illustrator for my personal business and Corel at work, and both have their strengths and weaknesses. It is a very personal decision really, if you know anyone with the programs you should try them out and see which feels more natural to you (or buy both if you can as they can compliment each other).

For me Illustrator flows better and I can create better and faster with it (I did learn it first though) but Corel is not a bad program and does some things better determining on what you do with them (or how you work). Like vid says Corel is more function oriented, the ability to easily set scale in your drawings just by double clicking your rule bar and changing it is great. Also I agree with Vid on that Illustrator does a better job of transparencies, shadows and stuff like that (the drop shadow function in Corel is horrible to me most of the time). If you are going to do wraps and digital printing I would get Illustrator and use it in conjunction with Photoshop.

Illustrator is the industry standard for a reason though.

Rooster

Adobe wrote postscript.

Illustrator files are essentially postscript files. Corel files need to be saved as eps (encapsulated postscript) to work right.

FWIW, in the 18 years I've worked with vector files I've had far fewer issues with illustrator than corel. Plus the fonts that come with Corel (at least the ones that it used to come with) are complete crap.

For pixel based files photoshop is the best. I've been using it since version 1 and nothing else comes close to the feature set it offers.

Neither illustrator nor photoshop is what I what call a user friendly, easy to learn application though. They have so many features you can get lost in them easily. Of course if you know how to make use of those features then you'll never settle for anything less.

TonyHoles

Is the newer versions of Illustrator more user friendly than v.10??

I wouldn't call either Corel or Illustrator user friendly. If you are just learning them I would probably recommend taking a class. I for one have been using Illustrator since the mid 90's and I have thankfully picked up more and more pointers over the years (crap I almost learn something new with Illustrator weekly...thanks to signs101). However, someone not real versed in it, I would recommend a class in order to get up to a good knowledge base of what the program offers. I have a friend that is an old school vinyl guy and is now taking an Illustrator class, which will help him tremendously.

peavey123

I was schooled in both illustrator and corel draw they both work...I am just partial to illustrator.

At work we have recently dropped Flexi. So now I do all vector work in Illy. You can even add contour cut lines with illy. We do have corel draw but it only gets used if someone sends a corel draw file...which is rare.
Just be careful with corel as colour can be an issue. Other than that it is just personal preference...

Todd-sta

Well as someone who has used Illustrator every day for the past 9 years and Corel draw for several years before that....

I can say I like both for different reasons.... but in general ... as a vector drawing program and considering functions as common sense, user friendly, ease of getting from point A to point B.....I'd have to tip my hand to Coreldraw.

Having said that, I use Photoshop every day too... and While Illustrator is quirky as hell and I hate the fact that it takes 20 tools (slight exaggeration) to get something accomplished verses Corel's one..... I have to say that Illustrator works seamlessly with Photoshop which is without question the industry standard....

So, I have Coreldraw.... but I use Illustrator.... weird, huh?

Big House Signs

I have flexi 8 and when i have to send stuff out thats what i design in and eport it out as an eps...then check it to make sure it is cool in Illustrator. I used to love corel phot paint but since we got the cs2 adobe suit I do all digital in photshop. the Filters are so much better and we have bought lots of plug ins. So I'll design in photoshop then import back into flexi to send to print...luckily everything has been spot on.

Paula

KR3signguy

I agree, Illy & photoshop
There is a greater demand to know Illy over Corel within the whole
digital design-print world. You'll most likely be receiving more Illy files than corel and sometimes your client won't be able or won't want to convert them over. Get both if you can.

graphixtogo

If you are going to use Photoshop (which most everyone does), it makes sense to pair it with Illustrator. The keyboard shortcuts are the same and the program layout is similar. This familiarity breeds speed in production.

You also have one company to deal with for tech support.

Most of the work I do, I end up creating a logo for the customer. Having it in Illustrator makes it easier to send the file off to have business cards, stationery, or any other kind of printing done. Not that it can't be done in Corel, I just think it is easier to have programs from the same family for output purposes.

digitalgraffiti

I have used Illustrator and Photoshop since the first versions were out. They are great programs. Corel has always been strong in the sign business, but NOT in printing and pre-press. Most of my 30+ years experience in graphics and advertising has been in the lithographic printing and pre-press and Corel is just not acceptable in most service providers.

I personally use Illustrator more but would sure love to the best of Corel teamed up with the best of Illustrator and we would have a killer program. Never happen though unless Adobe buys Corel out which I doubt will ever happen.