• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel for main software? / Corel Sign Tools 3

feizaguirre

and I looking for a very cheap solution...got Corel 12 for $108 including shipping
thanks for the great advice
Fernando

OldPaint

CO-CUT IN ITS ORIGINAL INCEPTION WAS A BRIDGE PROGRAM.
corel leased its plotter engine to CO-CUT/EURO-CUT at the same time corel version 5 was released. cocut/euro cut was selling this at sign shows and its sales line was "it works seamlessly from within corel." as it should because it was corels program code!!! co cut/euro cut had the lease of this part of corel for 2 years. both corel 5 and 6 WILL NOT CUT TO PLOTTERS. after corel 7 was released this part was added back to corel. now cocut/euro-cut had the engine and the built a "plug in program" from that.

Techman

Personally, I don't care if cocut was the code to launch moon shots. IT works great. Does what its supposed to do. Makes Corel already a very good sign program even better.

Corel 9 for $40 bux + cocut $150 bux (used) = im running along side any body with a $4 grand sign program. No hassles, no problems, no worries about SP2, no worries about wihch OS its running. Never needed tech support. Never have to wonder when the next patch was comming out. Nothing negative. Plus it does some of its own stuff that makes life so grand. Any body who writes it off before even trying it is really missing out.

Some luv to cut direct to a cutter via corel. They wear it as a badge of independance and resourcefulness. They say it is free. Great for them..

ME, i like to be unlimited in options. Not to just a corel roland setup. Me and cocut and corel will run any cutter around fast and accurate from any computer that will run corel.
Techman

idsign

Question about Corel/CoCut:

It seems that Corel / CorelTrace puts what seams to be a zillion extra points in a vector as compared to VMP or SignLab.

When CoCut sends plot thru driver/plotter, are these points 'smoothed' or is the cutter made to move (kinda jerky?) to each and every point along the path?

When I cut an .ai imported into VMP, the cut seems much more 'flowing' and faster than the same .ai imported into SignLab. Granted I am no pro in SignLab and it may be that I could make a SignLab plot seam less jerky using more advanced settings.

I like the speed and results of VMP trace to curves (crv) much better than CorelTrace to Corel vector (cdr). I feel more comfortable and productive editing curves in VMP - smoother results and more intuitive than manipulating bezier nodes and handles in Corel11. Opinions?

Barry

jimdes

Barry, I tried the current demo version with my Lynx 60. I purposfully tried exactly what you are talking about because of my experience of cutting from Corel. The results were the same as cutting directly from Corel.

You can smooth points in Corel and Corel Trace by using the "Curve Smoothness" option in the properties bar. You can also use a little Kamikaze smoothing by changing the "curve resolution" in the "HPGL Export" section of the options when preparing to save or plot.

A Curve resolution of .004 is typically recommended for most operations but I'm comfortable with .01, I also recommend setting pen velocity based on manufacturers recommendations for the materials you are cutting. Generally 35 cm/sec is acceptable but I tend to speed things as high as 50 cm/sec. on cast.

You want to leave your plotter units alone, those just mess up your scaling.

To test my settings, I draw a 3" X 3" 64 sided star and plot it out. Over draft (sharp, erratic points on inside corners) and under draft (rounded points on outside corners) can usually be corrected by adjusting pen speed. Jerkiness from too many points can be smoothed by decreasing the plotter resolution, I call it the Kamikaze method because you never know which points will be eliminated until you plot it. In fact, I'm really not sure how they do it, it just works and for most jobs, I'm okay with it. For finer jobs, I'll stick to the higher resolution settings.

I have a drawing I'll modify for your use to test your setup, complete with jerky circle and star!

idsign

Jim,

There is the expertise we need. Again, I spoke out of school not delving into the controls available from Corel and CorelTrace. I apologize.

Jim. Thanks for that test. Nice to learn from you. Nice to know.

Barry

SteveB

This is a great thread - sign programs that are constantly gouging users for multi $ upgrades will soon be a thing of the past I'm sure. Graphtec & Summa both bundle cutting programs with their cutters. Summa's also include a Corel Plug-in (bridge - I guess?) - I think Graphtec bundle an Illustrator plug-in. The newest release of Corel has an awesome video disk which teaches you most of what you will need. It's cheap, has a gazillion fonts, has awesome import & export facilities and if you need to add a workstation to your business there's no fiddly security dongles giving you headaches (& extra costs). Re too many nodes. there's a little slider in the coreltrace application that allows you to scan with a lot less or a lot more accuracy.
I deal with folks all the time who are being arm-wrestled into spending lots of $$'s on upgrades if they want to keep using the program they are familiar with, for example because their old software won't run on a newer operating system. Even though I am involved in selling up-grades, I advise them about the cheaper options like the new cutters bundled with cutting software, Corel / SignTools & now Co-cut which I'd never hear of before. For any of you guys looking at a $500+ upgrade, I'd advise you write/e-mail your supplier and explain that you are aware of all the new cheaper options available to you. WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO ABOUT IT. Maybe dropping the big fat upgrade $$ costs would be a start. You could always sell your software on e-bay and buy Corel & Signtools / Co-Cut with the proceeds - you'd have newer software and be released forever from the tyranny of out of date Sign Making software + the expensive upgrade path that goes hand in hand.
Corel is also really good at creating very small graphic components for the web / e-mailing so you can use it to make snappy, fast loading graphics for websites. Why not offer this as a free service to your customers? - You will supply 'free of charge' fast loading Gif's of any signage or graphics you do for them to use on their web-sites. It's easy, you just export your layouts as Gif's - the dialogue box holds your hand for the rest of the process.

OldPaint

VM PRO is a good alternative was $399 i think www.future-1.com go look. its a lot like corel in its working.
when i bought my plotter in 93 i got LETTER ART 6.0 with it. i was already GERBER-NEVER in this lifetime smart. guy tryed to seel me a 4b and when i got lookin at all the extra expense gettin a $1200 4b was not a good deal!!! and it only had 5-6 fonts!!!
ive played with geber GA softwear AND WAS SO GLAD I DIDNT buy that 4b. what a pain in the ass program compared to corel(which i had been using for a couple yreas when GA came out).
iam now cutting from corel 10 in XP. for a long time i messed with XP it wouldnt see my LPT-2 pci card, then the driver from roland was a dog....cut like a 4b......but if i loaded my 98se hard drive it cut normal.
the new XP DRIVER is version 2.70 and its the good one.

Gazzz

corel is a great vector based program, but don't waste your money on sign tools. Sign tools does nothing corel can't do, so if you think you're lacking in skills, keep your money and do some tutorials.