• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel or Adobe?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
OH NO HERE WE GO AGAIN!
All sign shops should have both.
Corel is a 100 times faster and easier to teach. The workspace is highly customizable. You can add any kind of keyboard shortcuts you want. Macros are way better than "actions" too.
That being said, I don't care what you use as long as it gets done.

Chasez

We use Adobe here but I'm slowly learning Affinity... Looking like it will replace Adobe here for us.

Chaz

bannertime

Flexi and Adobe have been a pretty bullet proof combo. If I had to restart on a budget, I might would look into Corel.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Corel has always been really clunky and unfinished to me. I grew up on Illustrator so I stick with that. I think that's how most people are. They stick with what they know. That being said, I can't see how anyone who has used illustrator or Corel could like using Flexi's design program. I feel like it glitches out every time you try to do anything!

rjssigns

Like Vander J said, it's all in what you were trained on. I started out with CasMate 30 years ago, then Corel. Moved into Xara and Flexi for a long long time. Went back to school and learned Adobe products. Prototyping class was Corel to drive the laser. All other design classes were Adobe.
Presently using Adobe products.
When I get my new iMac I'm going to install/learn Affinity. Also going to dive back into Xara at some point.

There are always options. Don't be afraid to try different things.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Ford vs, Chevrolet vs. Dodge pickup trucks. Corel vs. Adobe vs. whatever.

In both cases all of the products are functionally identical.

What someone prefers depends far more on personal prejudices than any functional difference. Adobe has a bit of an edge, not functionally, but because they used to, and may still do, donate their various products to educational institutions. Apple did, and may still do, the very same thing. Young minds matriculate knowing only Adobe and Apple and thinking that's all there is. Not so but these are true believers and have a difficult time dealing with heresy.

Billct2

I started with Gerber and then added Corel, so those are what I'm used to and still use. Like has been said, it's kinda a personal preference thing, and once you start with one it's a little hard to switch.

doublesigndude

We've been using Flexi from the beginning, added Adobe years later. They compliment one another. Just like any tool, can't pound a nail in with a screw driver, some have tried I'm sure. Personal preference and usability to the desired user should be key. Which side of the bed do you sleep on? Toilet paper rolled over or under? Cats or dogs? On that note, Happy Holiday's all!!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I started with Corel/Gerber GA/Flexi, then went to Corel/Gerber GA/Cas-Mate - designing and outputting mostly promotional signs and vehicle graphics. As I slowly worked my way up in the business I had to switch to Adobe Illustrator and started specializing in architectural signs and environments. When CadTools was introduced I started digging Illustrator. Corel has CAD functions built in but has a few limitations. CadTools with Illustrator makes more sense to me and my workflow.

My preference is Illustrator withCadTools, but like others said, they both have their place and will work.

starprint

Corel hands down
It's faster, powerclipping, image drop, lens effects, filling. I used illustrator ator for 5 years when I moved to Corel draw I'm glad I did. It's best for us. Menu designs, business cards, flyers, signage, vehicle livery and even multi page documents all created in corel draw. Only thing I miss in illustrator is the symbol manager.
Love corel draw. Won't go back to illustrator. All our products are corel, corel word, corel pdf etc. Since the move over we have never looked back.

Panchenko

Who is using what? Personally better, cost, functionality, depth of design ability?
I was tought in the dark arts of CorelDraw (LoL). No, seriously, i believe Corel is so easy to work with when you have basic to very heavy designs, shortcuts are helpful, macros rocks, easy to work with when you are working with roland software and cut plotter. Its the best.

ams

This thread will cause arguments and probably get 60+ replies to it. Adobe used to be the software of choice, because before Corel X3, Corel was crap. Once X4 hit, it was a complete game changer. Now with X8 it's an industry leader and Corel is built more for signage now than an art program. There are die hard Adobe lovers who went to school for it or grew up with it. There is still a place for Adobe, if you want something amazing with millions of effects, it's great. But if you want cut vinyl, more simple stuff, things compatible with CNC's it's Corel hands down. Adobe takes way more training to use and is a graphics program, where Corel is more simple and straight to the point. So again both have their place, but I prefer Corel because I am not a graphic artist and my stuff is not high end designs. It does everything I need it to.

A lot of people say "Corel can't do this, it can't do that" Well actually it usually can but they don't know how to do it or know it exists. I've recently found new things with Corel that I never thought was possible. Plus with the dozens of add ons, it really amps it up.

But for Flexi, in my opinion that is an overrated piece of crap, it's expensive and not great at all.