• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel or Adobe?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Ummm, there is a lot of cr@p on this thread,

Hey Cameron I see you already have a business up and running, what are you using right now and how is it working for you... any issues with the software you are already using?

Now how is Corel 100 times faster than Illustrator... you can design 100 signs to my 1! Oh man, I'm gonna switch and make millions!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Ummm, there is a lot of cr@p on this thread,

Hey Cameron I see you already have a business up and running, what are you using right now and how is it working for you... any issues with the software you are already using?

Now how is Corel 100 times faster than Illustrator... you can design 100 signs to my 1! Oh man, I'm gonna switch and make millions!

fast-mode.jpg

Sidney

Like them both, but Corel is my choice. When working with large scale designs I have experienced memory issues with Illustrator (so you end up working 1/3 scale etc). I have never experienced a memory issue with Corel....you can almost work full scale and have no hang time or memory issues. You can also print from Corel without use of a Rip program, unlike Illustrator.
*Have been in the sign business 27years and growing:)

Sidney

This thread will cause arguments and probably get 60+ replies to it. Adobe used to be the software of choice, because before Corel X3, Corel was crap. Once X4 hit, it was a complete game changer. Now with X8 it's an industry leader and Corel is built more for signage now than an art program. There are die hard Adobe lovers who went to school for it or grew up with it. There is still a place for Adobe, if you want something amazing with millions of effects, it's great. But if you want cut vinyl, more simple stuff, things compatible with CNC's it's Corel hands down. Adobe takes way more training to use and is a graphics program, where Corel is more simple and straight to the point. So again both have their place, but I prefer Corel because I am not a graphic artist and my stuff is not high end designs. It does everything I need it to.

A lot of people say "Corel can't do this, it can't do that" Well actually it usually can but they don't know how to do it or know it exists. I've recently found new things with Corel that I never thought was possible. Plus with the dozens of add ons, it really amps it up.

But for Flexi, in my opinion that is an overrated piece of crap, it's expensive and not great at all.
I agree... Flexi is not my choice.

WildWestDesigns

I have never experienced a memory issue with Corel....you can almost work full scale and have no hang time or memory issues. You can also print from Corel without use of a Rip program, unlike Illustrator.

I've never had a memory issue in Ai (and I run my Windows programs in VMs and this includes rendering video and animation), but some memory issues can be mitigated if running appropriate hardware. Some of it could be coding of the software, memory leaks etc.

While people can generally get away with "lesser" hardware depending on their workloads, if one is really stressing the boundaries of what they do, it pays to splurge a little bit more on hardware that is better able to handle the upper stress of CAD software.

But that really does depend on workflow.

JMallows

Graphic Illustrator
Something I don't like about Adobe products (unless it has changed) is they are a closed system...
meaning, in Corel Draw you can modify almost anything, short cut keys, tool bar, etc. but in Illustrator,
they decide what you have to use...
Also, I have run across too many douche bag "designers" (nobody here) who think that if you use
Corel Draw and/or use a PC instead of a Mac then you can't be a real designer..
As a designer, I feel this is not true at all. Where Mac may seem better to one, it may not suite another. I personally spent over $2k on my computer a few years ago for my freelance work and would not have changed my mind. I am not a fan of Corel at all, but everyone is different and we all have our own ways. The only thing that should be looked at is the ending outcome of what is produced, not how it got to that point.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
As a designer, I feel...

You might want to read that line, or have someone read it to you, until it dawns back their in your reptilian cortex that anyone who pronounces themselves a 'designer' [whatever that might be] in a sandbox filled with sign makers stands a good chance of appearing a taste presumptuous if not arrogant.

Andy D

As a designer, I feel this is not true at all. Where Mac may seem better to one, it may not suite another. I personally spent over $2k on my computer a few years ago for my freelance work and would not have changed my mind. I am not a fan of Corel at all, but everyone is different and we all have our own ways. The only thing that should be looked at is the ending outcome of what is produced, not how it got to that point.
That's why I was careful to add "not anyone here". I have dealt with designers in the past, with large advertising firms, that
their contempt comes oozing through the phone when I tell them that they need to save their file in a file format that I can import
into my PC Corel Draw.

WildWestDesigns

I have both. I own Corel outright.

Well technically just a different license schema not actual ownership, however, since Corel seems to want to be going to a yearly release schedule, I have to wonder if that too will change. But that's speculation on my part.

Adobe I must continue to pay until I die.

Between this and how MS is handling Win 10 pushed me over the edge to VM Windows and run Linux on bare metal. Not going to be ideal for everyone, but since most of my customer supplied files are either PDFs (at best) or raster files (doesn't matter if I get a raster or vector file, my process is the same), so I don't have to worry about being current. Even if I do, plenty of built in viewing tools on the Linux side to get it to work and bring into the VM.

billsines

Well technically just a different license schema not actual ownership, however, since Corel seems to want to be going to a yearly release schedule, I have to wonder if that too will change. But that's speculation on my part.

Between this and how MS is handling Win 10 pushed me over the edge to VM Windows and run Linux on bare metal. Not going to be ideal for everyone, but since most of my customer supplied files are either PDFs (at best) or raster files (doesn't matter if I get a raster or vector file, my process is the same), so I don't have to worry about being current. Even if I do, plenty of built in viewing tools on the Linux side to get it to work and bring into the VM.

Not really sure what you're talking about with Win 10...are you referring to a subscription model for the office products? If that is the case, I'm with you. People send me excel files from time to time. Takes a few seconds, but I bring it over to google sheets, then I can see what I need to see. I have zero interest in paying a subscription fee for any office stuff.

I will spend money on necessary stuff, but paying endlessly for something really grinds my gears. Really, really bad.

Johnny Best

I use opensource software, free, such as OpenOffice to read word or excel files. Do not know what they have for Window users since I am on a Mac.

WildWestDesigns

Not really sure what you're talking about with Win 10...are you referring to a subscription model for the office products? I

No, I'm actually talking about the forced updates on Win 10. Although truth be told, I'm one that believe that all computers used for physical production should be offline period (which would preclude subscription and/or cloud based solutions for production machines).

But I'm more about keeping production rigs offline with how MS is handling updates on Win 10.

I use opensource software, free, such as OpenOffice to read word or excel files. Do not know what they have for Window users since I am on a Mac.

Most open source programs are cross platform, some are even multi-arch (x86 and ARM). If you like OpenOffice, try it's "fork" LibreOffice (personally I like Libre more, but that is a personal preference).

Even Darktable is available on Windows (took them a long enough time to do that).

It's amazing what built solutions for reading Ai and CDR files exist within Linux distros when the actual program itself doesn't handle font substitution (even with PDF compatibility on) and even reading of different generation files.

Johnny Best

Never use word programs but keep the OpenOffice for people who send me excel spreadsheets.
Tried Libre years ago and it was just the same to me.

WildWestDesigns

Tried Libre years ago and it was just the same to me.

Depending on how far back "years ago" is, you might have tried both close to the "fork" and they would have been the same. Depending on what functionality you need, they still may not be any different.

I can get by with Word 97 even today (and I still have a working copy of it (and do still use it) that I bought all those yrs ago).