• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel or Adobe?

JMallows

Graphic Illustrator
You might want to read that line, or have someone read it to you, until it dawns back their in your reptilian cortex that anyone who pronounces themselves a 'designer' [whatever that might be] in a sandbox filled with sign makers stands a good chance of appearing a taste presumptuous if not arrogant.

I am sorry, I did not mean to come off in a way to make anyone angry, let alone call me out in such a negative fashion. I am new to this site and feel that your comment was quite a bit "arrogant"! I was simply stating that in my own opinion, everyone has their own ways of going about the "creation" of any type of work in the artistic world. I do not feel it is your place to sit back and call people out in a way of trying to make them feel wrong or small in the field of work they have specially chosen as their career path. Please refrain from any form of negativity to my comment as I was simply replying my personal opinion on programs and I did not ask for some sort of lesson on how my brain is similar or is that of a reptile.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I am sorry, I did not mean to come off in a way to make anyone angry, let alone call me out in such a negative fashion. I am new to this site and feel that your comment was quite a bit "arrogant"! I was simply stating that in my own opinion, everyone has their own ways of going about the "creation" of any type of work in the artistic world. I do not feel it is your place to sit back and call people out in a way of trying to make them feel wrong or small in the field of work they have specially chosen as their career path. Please refrain from any form of negativity to my comment as I was simply replying my personal opinion on programs and I did not ask for some sort of lesson on how my brain is similar or is that of a reptile.

Welcome new list guy.
You have been 'Bobbed" - Achievement unlocked - Level 2 status confirmed.
Hang in there - it gets better (until you have to face the final boss - Gino)

wayne k
guam usa

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

Kid, doing signs has little to with most anything 'artistic'. It's far more abound synthesis and typography. Back in the day, probably before you were born, there was no vinyl, no printing, no cutting. Everything was done by hand with brushes and paint. On innumerable occasions while hand lettering something or another people would ask if I did that all by hand to which invariably I'd reply 'No, I use a brush'. To which they would remark something to the effect that I must be really artistic to be able to do that. To which I'd reply that I didn't have a artistic bone in my body, that this was a learned skill and anyone with sight in at least one eye and not stricken by palsy could learn to do it.

Try to understand, as difficult for you as that might be, that when it's your turn to post you get to say whatever you want to say in whatever style it might please you to affect. When it's my turn to post I have exactly the same privilege. But the one thing you may not do is try to preempt another's possible responses by demanding that they do or do not say some particular thing or that the affect or do not affect some particular style while doing so. Commenting on how something was said rather than on what was said is considered bad from. In other words, I'll be as negative as I damn well choose to be. If that gives you the vapors I admit to being mildly amused by your discomfort.

ams

As a designer, I feel this is not true at all. Where Mac may seem better to one, it may not suite another. I personally spent over $2k on my computer a few years ago for my freelance work and would not have changed my mind. I am not a fan of Corel at all, but everyone is different and we all have our own ways. The only thing that should be looked at is the ending outcome of what is produced, not how it got to that point.

It's because you didn't take the time to learn Corel, if you did you would see it has a Illustrator layout mode built in, so it looks more like illustrator. It's a massive program with a simple interface. Under every menu are sub menus, every setting has sub settings, most tool boxes are closed but when you open all of them it fills up your entire screen. The purpose of a simple interface is to not take up unneeded room and display a bunch of crap you don't want open. Just hit the hotkey for what you want and close it when you don't want it.

Edit: By the way, you have to get out of your comfortable zone and try something for a few months before you make an opinion about something. I started on Omega Composer and was overwhelmed with Corel at first. Took me awhile but I adjusted and loved it and never looked back.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
It's because you didn't take the time to learn Corel, if you did you would see it has a Illustrator layout mode built in, so it looks more like illustrator. It's a massive program with a simple interface. Under every menu are sub menus, every setting has sub settings, most tool boxes are closed but when you open all of them it fills up your entire screen. The purpose of a simple interface is to not take up unneeded room and display a bunch of crap you don't want open. Just hit the hotkey for what you want and close it when you don't want it.

Edit: By the way, you have to get out of your comfortable zone and try something for a few months before you make an opinion about something. I started on Omega Composer and was overwhelmed with Corel at first. Took me awhile but I adjusted and loved it and never looked back.

It's because you didn't take the time to learn Illustrator, if you did you would see it has a Illustrator layout mode built in, so it looks more like illustrator (because it is Illustrator). It's a massive program with a simple interface. Under every menu are sub menus, every setting has sub settings, most tool boxes are closed but when you open all of them it fills up your entire screen. The purpose of a simple interface is to not take up unneeded room and display a bunch of crap you don't want open. Just hit the hotkey for what you want and close it when you don't want it.

Edit: By the way, you have to get out of your comfortable zone and try something for a few months before you make an opinion about something. I started on Corel and was not overwhelmed with Illustrator. Took me very little time to adjust and saw that for my workflow, it had sped up my process, I occasionally look back at Corel and find it's still lacking in key features and functionality I need.

:banghead:

Last edited:

ams

It's because you didn't take the time to learn Illustrator, if you did you would see it has a Illustrator layout mode built in, so it looks more like illustrator (because it is Illustrator). It's a massive program with a simple interface. Under every menu are sub menus, every setting has sub settings, most tool boxes are closed but when you open all of them it fills up your entire screen. The purpose of a simple interface is to not take up unneeded room and display a bunch of crap you don't want open. Just hit the hotkey for what you want and close it when you don't want it.

Edit: By the way, you have to get out of your comfortable zone and try something for a few months before you make an opinion about something. I started on Corel and was not overwhelmed with Illustrator. Took me very little time to adjust and saw that for my workflow, it had sped up my process, I occasionally look back at Corel and find it's still lacking in key features and functionality I need.

:banghead:

This doesn't warrant a response.
At least people can trust me for help and ignore your stolen advice.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
So lame. At least people can trust me for help and ignore your stolen advice.

I'm guessing you didn't see how lame your statement was by having it fed back to you...

So if anyone would trust the ridiculousness of your statement, I could care less if they trust me...

ikarasu

Lets have a truck war now...... ford vs toyota, Go!

They both get the job done. Different workflows for people with different preferences. There isn't a winner... It's whatever you feel comfortable using.

It's the user, not the software that makes a difference. We have people sending us stuff from Signlab, illustrator, correl, you name it. The files we hate are the ones where the customer has a thousand clipping masks for no reason, linked files they didn't include... Etc.

If you can get from a to b with the same results, who cares what you use?

I started from scratch learning both. At the same time, different ways to do different things they both have their annoyances... To be honest I found illustrator had more limitations than Corel. The artists limit, the text size without flattening limit... But I ended up using illustrator instead of Corel because it looked more polished and nice .

Corel looked and felt like a Linux program, while illustrator looked and felt like a windows program. Personal preference pushed me to Adobe .but I can guarantee you someone with 10 years experience in Corel, can do anything someone with 10 years experience in illustrator can, just as good... Presuming the same skill level.

AaronSSsignsKC

I think good shops should use both corel has its pros and cons as well as adobe programs. This argument will never die, I think a lot of it depends on the type of shop you are what kind of work you are doing and really what clients you have. Companies that deal with and do a lot of work with architect, design and advertising firms will do more work out of adobe programs just because the clients artwork dictates you to. If you do a lot of vector cut vinyl CNC work etc Corel is great and allows you to work at full size on fabricated signs etc. Like I said this argument will never die and you will always have people on each side of the fence with flaming torches and pitch forks.

WildWestDesigns

Corel looked and felt like a Linux program, while illustrator looked and felt like a windows program.

As Linux user, I'm kinda curious about this. Especially considering CorelDraw is older then the Linux kernel. Also for the longest time Adobe was Mac only and now they are pretty much on parity between Windows and Mac versions (what differences they have are slight).

Now, the one thing that I will give you is that Corel did have their own Linux distro, but that wasn't until later (late 90s to mid aughts I'm thinking).

ikarasu

As Linux user, I'm kinda curious about this. Especially considering CorelDraw is older then the Linux kernel. Also for the longest time Adobe was Mac only and now they are pretty much on parity between Windows and Mac versions (what differences they have are slight).

Now, the one thing that I will give you is that Corel did have their own Linux distro, but that wasn't until later (late 90s to mid aughts I'm thinking).
It's just the style of the app .It reminds me of something made in visual basic. I don't think it's a bad thing, it just has the Linux/OSX type feel to it .

I think it's the main reason I cant stick to OSX/Linux, I can't even really say exactly what it is that makes it feel different... Windows cursor just feels smoother, the windows look less flattish, etc. Maybe it's just the greyish colour playing tricks on me!

WildWestDesigns

It's just the style of the app .It reminds me of something made in visual basic. I don't think it's a bad thing, it just has the Linux/OSX type feel to it .

I think it's the main reason I cant stick to OSX/Linux, I can't even really say exactly what it is that makes it feel different... Windows cursor just feels smoother, the windows look less flattish, etc. Maybe it's just the greyish colour playing tricks on me!

I would say that it's the distro of Linux that you are using. Some do look flat and some do have somewhat of a "jerky" motion, but that would depend on the compositing manager that is used and there are several (5 that I can think of right off hand with Compiz being the most common).