• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

corel photo paint??

signguy 55

I don't have a digital printer, but I have a few sign shops close by that do so lately I've been subbing out my printing to them. I have CorelDraw12 which includes photopaint. I would like to start designing more detailed artwork, nothing fancy, just additional outlines, maybe some subtle starbursts on the lettering like you would do with an air brush and increasing the market for digital, especially banners and trucks.

I know Photoshop is the industry standard (I have version 5.5), but can Photopaint do basically the same thing? I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I would like to become better at the program especially since I already have it installed.

There are youtube videos that show some amazing stuff being done with Photopaint. Your thoughts please.

Thanks!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Another Ford vs. Chevy question. The both do pretty much the same thing, each in its own way.

There is no 'Industry Standard'. There is only a bunch of school children who were exposed to Adobe in lieu of anything else and are fond of stridently proclaiming it to be the 'Industry Standard'. They do this because they know no better.

signmeup

Another Ford vs. Chevy question. The both do pretty much the same thing, each in its own way.

There is no 'Industry Standard'. There is only a bunch of school children who were exposed to Adobe in lieu of anything else and are fond of stridently proclaiming it to be the 'Industry Standard'. They do this because they know no better.
Bob, I love how you put things into perspective. Very well said.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i use photopaint cause i don't have photoshop....most of the photoshop tutorials can be followed in photopaint just sometimes the tools aren't in the same place....

OldPaint

bob hit the nail on the head..........................PHOTOSHOP vs PHOTOPAINT............aint a whole lot of diferance.............JUST THE FACT OF WHICH ONE YOUR ACCUSTOM TO!!!!!!!!!
i dont even own PHOTOSHOP!

ChiknNutz

I beg to differ, they are quite different programs in terms of capability. For the bulk of things, though, either is fine and honestly I prefer PhotoPaint due to ease of use FOR ME and it's what I know best. But in terms of actual horsepower and features, PhotoShop really does have more to offer. This is coming from a Corel enthusiast so I am not biased to Adobe at all, just stating what I feel is the truth.

Rodi

For the most part true, but I find curves in Photopaint to be bad, but sending out special separations (HEX) is much better in Photopaint. I don't like Photopaints duotones, but I dont use them much.
Signguy, why don't you just use CorelDraw to make the starburst? Unless you are using shadows, transparency etc, it would be better, imo

signmeup

I agree with Rodi. Make your star burst in Corel then give it a white drop shadow, break the drop shadow off and rotate it just a smidge. Looks great.

Techman

The problem with photoshop and other adobe tutors is that there is all to often a step missing. They assume that you know the next step. But, if you knew the next step then you wouldn't need the tutor.. Yes?

Joe Diaz

Every once in a while, I open something in photopaint. But for the most part, everything I need in graphic design program can be done directly in Draw. Corel Draw actually has a lot of built in bitmap editing tools and is perfect for all things vector.

My main reason for using photopaint is for the slicing tool which comes in handy for web layouts. I also use photo paint when I need to use the clone tool, the touch up brush or the magic wand tool.