Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corel to Flexi

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by maddmd, Dec 10, 2006.

1. maddmd

maddmd Member

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I have been using Corel for 3 years and now thinking of buying Flexi.
    My question is can you open and use a corel file in Flexi?
    Will it still seperate colors in prodution manager for cuttng or do you have to redo each design?

:thankyou:

Tags:
  2. RiXaX

RiXaX Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Mendocino, CA
    I don't know of anything that will open a Corel file but Corel.

3. maddmd

maddmd Member

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    What if opened in Corel and saved as an AI file then imported?

4. Mark L

Mark L Member

I have opened corel files in flexi when the customer exporting them to .eps format, but the gradient part came in terrible.
    I'm not sure if you can bring in cdr files without exporting them

5. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    I used to use Corel 8 and those files would go straight into Flexi with minimal problems. But now that I have X3, it won't do it all. I usually save artwork as a CDR, and then a copy as AI (saved in Illustrator 8 format) and that usually opens fine in Flexi.

I HATE Flexi for it's file compatibility. It flat out sucks. It can't even deal with transparent GIFS!!!!

6. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    You can save as a Corel Presentation Exchange file, .cmx, and import directly into Flexi. In recent iterations of Corel there's two cmx formats listed, plain vanilla and cmx 5. I've always used the pain unqualified cmx and seldom have a problem. Note that Corel's outlines are turned into a stroke in Flexi and a Corel contour will be treated as a separate path with a stroke.

7. learned the hard way

learned the hard way Active Member

Jan 3, 2006
    If you are just cutting and not printing, then you will be unlikely to be using gradients and such, so that shouldn't be a problem. I design in Corel and then just copy and paste into Flexi with no problem at all. If you want another entire design program, Flexi is a good one. However, if you are considering buying Flexi just for the cutting capabilities of its production manager, it would be much cheaper to buy a copy of CoCut. It works just as well.

8. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Export CDR as EPS then open in Flexi . . .

Or export CDR as EPS, covert to PDF, then open in Flexi and UnMask ! ! !

9. maddmd

maddmd Member

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Thank you all.
    No I will be using it to print also. Just did not want to start all over with alot of repeat files.

:thankyou: :thumb:

10. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    yeah, it sucks. If you design it in Corel 8, it will import over. But if you do it in 12 or X3, then even if you save it as 8 format, it won't bring it over. Just save as an ai. file, and you should even be able to keep most of your gradients!

11. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    get cocut pro and you can still use Corel with no interuption nor import worries.