• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel tutor??

Griff

I recently purchased a vinyl cutter and a copy of Corel X5 to start cutting vinyl mostly for kart racing, along with other general sign work.

I am looking for a good general tutor for Corel X5, whether it is online, a dvd, etc. I just need some help learning the ins and outs of the tools and design tips. I have previous experience with vinyl installation, but have a lot to learn with the design side of things.

Thank you in advance for any help

Griff

No I don't have a full blown shop. I am a full time youth minister and i race go karts. So my main focus right now is to start doing kart graphics on the side and see where it goes from there. I don't hand paint sign, however I probably could, as growing up we used to hand paint everything on our race cars.

As far as software goes, I have Corel X5 for design and then SignCut Pro to run my cutter.

rigosign

They way I learned Corel was buying a book at our local Borders and did all the tutorials. It took a little while but I really did learn a lot. Also just trying jump into it, I know it takes a bit of practice but you will get the hang of it.

MikePro

sent ya a PM about lynda.com (its free, in case the merchants get mad at me)
best of luck to ya!

signage

Griff there is a search feature at the top of all forum pages, and if you type in Corel Tutorials you should find some great links.

Jim Hill

Alex Galvez

I also purchased a book on CorelDraw when I started and it was very helpful but once someone told me about the video tutorials that Alex Galvez posted on U-Tube my learning really got kicked into high gear.

I am not sure how many of his tutorials are still posted on U-Tube because a number of people who wrote books and offered their own tutorials for sale were not very happy with him offering his tutorials for Free on the internet.

He now posts many of his tutorials only on a CorelDraw sponcered site and some are free and some will cost you.

This guy is one of the best teachers and it was so cool to be able to open my screen to half size and then open his tutorials to half size and just follow along with everything he was teaching you and if you did not understand it the first time just replay the tutorial again.

Jim

Mosh

Another person who got charged too much so decided to do it himself.
People like this are ruining the sign/vinyl industry. IMO you should be
kicked off here!

BTW, Corel is NOT a vinyl cutting program, it is a design program!
You still need to go through a plug in or such to cut, thus it is NOT a true vinyl
cutting program, NOW GET LOST!

Poconopete

kicked off here!

You still need to go through a plug in or such to cut, thus it is NOT a true vinyl
See post #3
There seemed to be a lot of people thinking you should be kicked out when you got here too.

SignManiac

Mosh you may as well get use to it. Even if non professionals don't happen to find this site, there will always be a constant influx of people trying to get in this business, with or without our help. There's no stopping it. It's technologies fault for making it so easy, hell Staples even sells a button now.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
kicked off here!

really?? really?? not feelin' this is a bit of an over reaction??

'sides, he already said he has cut software...guess you didn't read that part....

SignManiac

I think Mosh's point is that he isn't a professional sign shop and is looking for a way to save money by doing it himself instead of paying a professional shop. Mosh just has a way of coming across hostile at times, when he's off his meds.

I could care less myself about anyone entering the business. Nothing will stop someone who is determined and if you feel that threatened by beginners, then you better step up your game. This industry has no protection and it's a free country still.

Last edited:

Joe Diaz

Actually, You can cut right out of Corel without a plugin. You have been able to do it for quite some time now.

Griff

You guys who are accusing me (I assume you are talking about me) of trying to just save money by doing it myself are wrong. I am doing this to start a side job. I have worked in the sign industry on the installation side of things, but now learning more in terms of the design part. Like I said my main focus in starting is kart graphics and that is because I guess I have to start somewhere and I race karts and already have people asking me to do their graphics. I also plan to do general vinyl sign work also, and have already done so. Yes I race and I guess I will be able to do my own graphics and save money there, but that is not why I am doing it. I enjoy doing vinyl work, I see a need or an area of the market that I think I can do well, so i took the plunge.

Maybe rather than jumping down my throat, asking for some clarification would have cleared this up. I would have been straight with you.

jemmyell

Hi,

Try Foster Coburn's ebook:

http://www.unleash.com/

It is VERY high quality. I know Alex Galvez tries hard, and he IS a good teacher, but a great many of his techniques are slow and convoluted. Free is often worth everything you paid for it...

-James Leonard

signwizz

So mosh doesnt own any tools to do mechanical or plumbing or electrical work he always hires people to do odd jobs around the house DOUBT IT!!!
so why cant this guy buy his own equipment and do his own stuff....Your the professional and people will come to you rather than him ........
You have to start somewhere and cheap is the way to go at first then he might grow and own a shop and do it full time who knows
just my 2 cents
signwizz

Fatboy

Griff , best is to just teach yourself with the help off people here as well as tutorial video's. Also do a search here. Some great tips. Good luck and welcome here.