• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coreldraw 2019

wes70

Just ordered coreldraw 2019 upgrade from X4. Love X4, but finally upgrading to Win 10 and thought I better upgrade corel too. From doing a little research it seems 2019 may not be that stable, even with the service packs. Is anyone having any issues with 2019?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We haven't upgraded from X7 for the same reviews. Many are having trouble with it. Sluggish, quit responding, etc.
Guess we'll be waiting for the 2020 version.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
myront said:
Guess we'll be waiting for the 2020 version.

That may come at the cost of having to sign up for the $16.50 per month subscription, $198 per year. That is if Corel's head honchos stick to their guns and kill the ability of perpetual license owners to upgrade. Only those who bought the buggy 2019 release and paid $99 extra for "upgrade protection" would get the opportunity to pay $99 for CorelDRAW 2020.

I have the sneaking suspicion this strategy could backfire on Corel. Lots of users could merely stick with whatever version of CorelDRAW they already own and call it a day. In trying to strong-arm its user base Corel could actually end up killing much of its revenue stream. I haven't bought v2019 and probably won't at this point.

jpescobar said:
CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2020 will be released in the next couple weeks.

That seems way earlier than Corel's usual release pattern. The past few versions have been released in the March-April time frame. Version 2019 was released on March 12.

Given all the issues Corel has had with the version 2019 release as well as accommodating a new Mac-based version it would seem like their plate is pretty full. I don't know how they expect to fix all the issues with version 2019 on both Mac & PC platforms as well as introduce worthwhile new features barely 9 months after the last version of CorelDRAW was released. It doesn't give me a very good feeling at all about the version 2020 release. I guess I can't be too surprised either; venture capital companies tend to be grossly out of touch with reality, thinking they can just jam something through.

WildWestDesigns

I don't know how they expect to fix all the issues with version 2019 on both Mac & PC platforms as well as introduce worthwhile new features barely 9 months after the last version of CorelDRAW was released.

This is the kind of thing that makes me worried about any software that is on the ubber accelerated update schema. This things barely go through a beta phase (if they do, with the reports of 2019, I have to wonder). Some vendors may do better then others (or more people have a workflow that doesn't cause a lot of bugs to be triggered).

Now, I do realize that if they were to wait until everything was golden, then a release would never happen, but it's hard to keep everything good with updated and adding new features every single time, especially if starting behind the 8 ball.

I'm worried about how Corel is going to do going forward. I hope they pull it around, I just don't know.

pjfmeister

I have found a few operational changes/issues ie specific tools moved or do not work as well/easily/quickly as previous versions....I have no stability issues. I would say all in all it has been solid for me.
If I had it to do over I would have just stuck with X8.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I think Corel was doing better when they had CorelDRAW on a 2 year cycle between full version releases. That cycle provided more time for the development team to build up enough improvements to make full version upgrades somewhat substantial (not to mention have more time to fix bugs). The once a one year cycle makes it seem like a pretty ho-hum, unimpressive thing -but they still wanted $198, the same price for the old upgrades that took 2 years to develop.

If they wanted my advice (hell would probably freeze over first) I'd tell them to do this: let any perpetual license holder subscribe for $99 per year. Do that without drilling them with the $300 gouge up front. Further, the $16.50 per month standard subscription price seems too high to me. If it were up to me I'd maybe have new users pay the $198 per year rate maybe 2 years then drop it to $99 per year as a loyalty bonus.

That's what they need to do if they want to stick with the subscription model business. Otherwise they need to go back to the old model, selling perpetual licenses and traditional upgrades, allowing users to upgrade when they want to do so. I can't help but wonder if there is some complacency or denials of reality with regard to the competition out there; it seems as if Corel thinks Adobe is its only rival. With them wanting 1/3 the price of an Adobe CC subscription it seems like delusions of grandeur. IMHO, CorelDRAW is the only app in the suite worth using. Meanwhile Adobe has a bunch of industry leading applications and valuable added on goodies to sweeten their deal.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

I was just looking into this. About to set up a win 10 desktop I got for black friday, have been avoiding it as much as I can. Someone on here was using x6 with win10 and had found away around the file, edit, view being 'whited out', but I haven't found that post again.

This one?

Yes, Corel 16 on a fresh install of Windows 10 (not a updated version). I don't remember having any issues except the command bar (File, Edit, View, etc.) wasn't visible, but I set up my own command bar in "customize" and it works exactly the same.

E Coloney

Yes, I have issues with CD 2019. It has some clever features but some are intermittent. Specifically, often I cannot group items together. I was using X7 prior and am pleased I still have it on my machine. Have thought about wiping windows10 and doing a reinstall but that's a huge project. Perhaps when I get another PC I'll do that.
What do people have to say about INKSCAPE ? Does it save/export only to .svg files?

WildWestDesigns

What do people have to say about INKSCAPE ? Does it save/export only to .svg files?

No, you can export to other formats. The version that I use and how I have one plugin setup, I can actually use the save as to save embroidery files. But you can do PDF and EPS as well out of the box.

If you are using any workflow that is print related and you want to incorporate Inkscape into your workflow, you will have to add either a plugin or you will have to add another program into the mix (I use Scribus). The main reason is the SVG format itself. It's mainly designed for web work and since Inkscape's main "master file" is SVG, everything about Inkscape out of the box is geared more for that.

Keep in mind, I am a huge Inkscape fan and I use that (mainly because I'm on a shall we say non traditional OS and I actually use it in PWA work that I am involved in) program alot.

ams

I was just looking into this. About to set up a win 10 desktop I got for black friday, have been avoiding it as much as I can. Someone on here was using x6 with win10 and had found away around the file, edit, view being 'whited out', but I haven't found that post again.

I recommend getting X8, it's stable.

Scrathcy

For my 10cents worth, been using corel19 on win10, with generally no issues. I have used CorelDraw since version1. I would say I have just learnt stuff will go wrong when I least want it to.. SAVE - SAVE - SAVE, its the only way to be SAVE … lol

I have trained people on CorelDraw for years. Is it unstable, yes.. Is Illustrator unstable, yes, is photoshop unstable, yes.. I have published magazines with Adobe products and had them bomb on me lots of times. I have used them all and they have all bombed on me when I least wanted a bomb..

I think everyone's comments are right, if only we could get what we want, but we have to make money, grow and survive, so I gave up worrying about it and just keep learning what dose and doesn't work and what makes the most money for me by saving me time.

The upgrades always seem to have enough improvement for me to want to stick with them.. I guess If you don't want to learn something new or have a new possibly faster way of doing what you have always done.. then stay with what works. I know a lot of people feel safe with what they know, makes sense and also makes financial sense.

Andy D

Honestly, if you can export your workspace and share it, that'd be awesome sauce. Unless you've done a whole mess of screwy commands and shortcuts. I've spent a decade memorizing the default ones!
I am the king of screwed up short cuts...
I carry over short cuts from every program I have ever used, starting with Gerber.

WildWestDesigns

I haven't looked into it and I don't even have my x5 version on my VMs right now, but can you not export your keybindings into a backup file. Take Andy's UI layout and then just override with your backup keybindings to get it back to where you want it after loading up his UI settings? If the keybindings is the only thing that is going to get real wonky?

I've always used express keys on my Cintiq, so I never really had to learn keybindings, so when they do get changed from one version to the next (some programs do change their bindings), it doesn't affect me too terribly much.

WildWestDesigns

Can you uninstall cortana yet?

There used to be a program that you could unpack the Win 10 iso and then strip it of components and repackaged it into your own iso. I think things were getting harder and harder to take out with the 19.03 update.

Have to remember that Cortana itself is also tied into the search functionality. So if you like to do searches in Files (Windows Explorer) or from the Start menu, that functionality could be castrated by taking out Cortana.

I do think MS is supposed to be separating Cortana on their own, but I don't know if that was to placate users by just saying that or if there is anything to it.

Shoot even the "Power Toys" that they brought in for Win 10 is not the same like it was on my Win 98 computer (or VM now).

While there are certainly more options (even still) with Windows compared to Mac, when trying to extract things on your own that are integrated deeply into a system, no bueno. One can add to, but not take away. Not modular in that way.

Last edited: