• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

(coreldraw fan) needs to export sketchup files to solidworks ? anyone ?

hi,
coreldraw is of course the main and basic tool for me, but customers ask more than 2d, so i have to extend my knowlege. (yes, we can do almost 3d effect in cd too :rock-n-roll:)
i picked up sketchup, and sticked with it.
i export files from coreldraw to sketchup via DWG/DXF, then resize to the right dimension.
i´ve been looking for any suitable way how to export sketchup files to solidworks, but haven´t found any reliable plugin.
would you be good enough to share your experiences or tips, how to solve this problem please?
thanks a lot in advance
good luck!

Last edited:

Techman

Doesn't SW take dfx files?

DFX files. You can go direct to DXF from corel using the plugin dfxtools. (about 50 bux)
It will allow corel to export the correct arcs direct from corel.

hi,
thanks for your tips, but i´ve to dissapoint you both guys.
DWG / DXF files you can find everywhere, but solidworks refuses
them all.
in other hand sketchup doesn´t save models in SolidWorks Files (*.sldprt, *.sldasm, *.slddrw)
by the way, i´ve already got dxftools pro, but it hasn´t solved my problem too.
solidworks always fides with curves, lines are ok.
hope to solve this soon, because i´m doing it for a friend.
cheers!

hi,
yes it does, it depends upon quality
it´s very stubborn, DXF/DWG models from coreldraw are useless for further editing or plasma cutting.
i´m sorry, i was very optimistic at the beginning too.
later i thought, sketchup can be an option...
anyway, any tips are appreciated.
good luck

mgieske

I was in this situation a few months ago. go to Staples and buy Turbocad for about $80. It will import the sketchup file and you may then export to a number of 3D formats compatible with SW.

thanks to all you guys,
it´s wonderful how many incredible people are around here, blessed with good heart and wisdom:)
merry christmas and happy new year!