• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDraw X7

Steve C.

I have X6 and only a few crashes, I love that Corel finally came around with
the open type automatic ligature and alternates feature. The elliptical gradient
sounds good but, like someone else said, how will it convert to ai.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
i sure wish Adobe would get off their butt and take some of the best features of Coreldraw and apply those to Illustrator. Each upgrade of Illustrator only adds minor features. One or 2 good ones, the rest are not too exciting.

SignManiac

Eric,

Out of curiosity, what do you consider to be some of the best features of Corel that would benefit Adobe or vice versus? Or anybody else for that matter. I personally use the lleh out of powerclip, welding, trimming, and most of all hot keys...

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Eric,

Out of curiosity, what do you consider to be some of the best features of Corel that would benefit Adobe or vice versus? Or anybody else for that matter. I personally use the lleh out of powerclip, welding, trimming, and most of all hot keys...

I have not used it since v10 so I cannot comment. But so many people talk about the things that Corel can do better or features that Adobe does not have so there is no shortage of features and ideas.

Multiple contours on an object is one good thing. I do lots of logos with multiple contours and each must be done one at a time. Or the feature where you draw a star shaped object and when you manipulate just one "point" on the star the rest of the same points on that star move the same amount and direction

SignManiac

I can only imagine all of the possible scenarios on each and everyone's computers. I'm sure each of us all have our versions setup to our particular liking. Just for the fun of it, here's my typical coreldraw setup that I work with. I've been fiddling with mine since ver 1.0 My how it has come along over the years.

Attachments

• Corel desktop.jpg
    Corel desktop.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 120

WildWestDesigns

Multiple contours on an object is one good thing. I do lots of logos with multiple contours and each must be done one at a time.

I used to like how Corel did it as well, but by far the best method that I have seen is with my digitizing program, which also gives the ability to do vector offsets, not just embroidery ones. I wish that the full fledge vector programs would do it like this.

Attachments

• Contour.jpg
    Contour.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 108

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
CorelDRAW has certain parallel extrusion "block shadow" effects not supported in Illustrator. I'll use those on occasion creating graphics, isometric 3D views of signs and drawings of channel letters. The 3D extrusion effects in Illustrator only have vanishing point based 3D, no parallel extrusions. Corel has a bunch of CAD-like object editing tools that speed up a lot of technical drawing chores. Illustrator has me hopping all over the UI to do many of the same things.

Illustrator is able to paste vector paths into Photoshop. CorelDRAW can't do that since it can't put AICB paths onto the clipboard. AFAIK, Corel can't even put vector paths into Corel PhotoPaint or Fractal Design/Corel Painter. Illustrator has a bunch of unique vector brush tools that work especially well in conjunction with a Wacom tablet. Corel has a little of that capability, but it is pretty clunky by comparison.

CorelDRAW has had its shapes tool for a long time. The latest update to Illustrator CC added a live corners feature which seems like a step in the direction of Corel's shapes thing. It's another way to have control over corner effects.

Regarding the Contour effects in CorelDRAW, they're nice but I always inspect the results. In some previous versions, like X3, the Contour effect generated paths with a huge number of nodes. It's as if it was producing paths with nothing but many tiny straight line segments joined together. I'm used to seeing AutoCAD spit out that kind of crud in its DXF and DWG files. Corel cleaned up some of that stuff with X5 and X6. I still think Illustrator produces cleaner, more precise results with its Path Offset effect, although you can only do one contour effect at a time and not multiple steps.

Techman

Testing corel x7.

I see they are going to a subscription model. Very restrictive..

Sorry Corel draw
I've been using your stuff since vers 3.
But now that you demand a subscription. And demand I sign up for about 2 different access points to get the content and advanced features..
Web based access to the content, updates and enhanced features is a medium problem. However, $199 for the software and then paying another $198 a yearly or $24 a month for access to the additional content and those updates,,, or turning it off when I no longer wish to pay is too much to bear. If I have software that needs an update yet be denied those updates is asking more than I wish to endure.
So actually,, Corel upgrade is now 199 + another 198 or a total of $397 to use it for the year.

I will not be upgrading to X7.
And then...
I already have an account so why do you demand I enroll again into different areas?

I am deleting the trial because there is no need to go any further. I am sorry but it is over.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You are 100% wrong. It's $199 to upgrade and you get all the standard features with it forever and its $99/year for the premium membership which gives you every upgrade and premium feature as long as it's active.

The subscription model is $198/year and is just like Adobes model.

player

You are 100% wrong. It's $199 to upgrade and you get all the standard features with it forever and its $99/year for the premium membership which gives you every upgrade and premium feature as long as it's active.

The subscription model is $198/year and is just like Adobes model.

So what do I get extra over the permanent upgrade? What are the premium features that disappear when I stop paying?

Techman

You are 100% wrong. $199.00

No, you are 80% WRONG in your statement that I an 100% wrong,,,

it is $199 to upgrade.. (It used to be $149) Is that right or not?????
And there is a FEE to use premium content,, YES OR NO?

And then. All content regular and premium access is online. Yes or no??

According to the links inside X7 it leads one to believe it is as I posted above.. As I posted they ask people to enroll in two different areas for a FEE. In any event it is very confusing.

The online content has watermarks all over it. It cannot be used unless one has paid to access to the content.

It doesn't matter anyway because I deleted it.

the comparison chart is here.

http://www.corel.com/static/product_content/cdgs/x7/CorelDRAWGraphicsSuiteX7_ComparisonChart_en.pdf

The EULA is partly :

IN INSTANCES WHERE SOFTWARE IS HOSTED BY COREL OR AN AUTHORIZED COREL HOSTING PARTNER AND ACCESSED BY YOU REMOTELY, YOU ARE PERMITTED TO USE THE SOFTWARE ONLY ON A SINGLE COMPUTING DEVICE AT ANY MOMENT IN TIME FOR YOUR (A) PRIVATE, NON-COMMERCIAL PURPOSES AS A PRIVATE USER, AND/OR (B) COMMERCIAL PURPOSES AS A SERVICE PROVIDER IN A COMMERCIAL BUSINESS (“BUSINESS USER”). THIS SOFTWARE IS LICENSED PER HOUSEHOLD OR PER SINGLE ADDRESS (“ADDRESS”). EXCEPT FOR THE COREL PRODUCTS LISTED BELOW, YOU MAY ONLY ACCESS AND USE THE SOFTWARE ON ONE COMPUTING DEVICE AT ANY MOMENT IN TIME

graphicwarning

You don't have to buy a subscription... they aren't forcing you to buy anything in a subscription model that you don't want.

You can still buy the boxed version and a perpetual license if you'd like. YES, you do have to "sign-up" for an account that is a "free subscription". What this gives you is access to all of the standard content that used to come on the DVD's... clip art, fonts etc. You also have to have a Corel account and be signed in to get updates now. There is no extra cost for this.

Now, if you'd prefer to have access to the additional premium content, you can pay monthly for this subscription, or yearly. Premium content gives you more clipart, fonts etc, but also early access to new tools that will be released in the next version. For example, X7 has the QR Code maker now... this was available in the first update to X6 for premium users, nearly 2 years ago.

Now... if you do pay to upgrade, and then decide later you'd like the premium membership, yes... you pay for the upgrade and the membership. But if today for example you signup for a premium membership... either monthly or yearly... you don't have to pay the upgrade price AND the membership, just the membership.

In May of last year I decided to move from X4 to X6, and I did so with a premium membership. I simply purchased the membership at the yearly price, downloaded the trial and signed in. I had all the standard content, plus premium content, extra tools etc. When X7 was released a few weeks ago... I just simply downloaded and installed it. There was nothing more to pay for, no extra costs or upgrades.

There are some really good threads on discussions on the Coreldraw.com website regarding subscriptions, check them out.

But no one is forcing you to pay for premium content that you don't want, and if you don't want it... you don't receive anything less than if you buy a "boxed" version.

graphicwarning

If you stop paying does your X7 stop working?

If you purchased a full box version, or an upgrade, AND later "added" a premium subscription, but stop paying... you only lose the premium content, tools etc. But you still own the full version of the software and can continue to use it as normal.

However, if you purchased the premium subscription only, and you stop paying... the software stops working. It works like the trial, where you can open files and view... but there is no exporting, copy/pasting, saving etc.

They are really giving you three ways to use the software, buy the full version with a perpetual license, buy an upgrade (if you are eligible) for the full version with a perpetual license, or buy it as a monthly subscription service that you can use the software as long as you pay for the subscription.

Techman

For example, X7 has the QR Code maker now

Hate to say it.
QR codes are not the super secret they were once promoted to be. And there are free services all over the web to give this code anyway. So its a non starter as a feature.

CES020

I wonder what's going to happen to people who swore off Adobe for going all subscription when Corel finally goes all subscription based. Maybe with X8?

graphicwarning

Hate to say it.
QR codes are not the super secret they were once promoted to be. And there are free services all over the web to give this code anyway. So its a non starter as a feature.

Agreed... not a super feature, but I was using it for sake of example. Premium membership gives access to new tools immediately rather than waiting for a full version release... QR Codes was the first thing that came to mind, that it's been available for awhile in Corel as a premium feature, but is now standard.

graphicwarning

So now there is no way to buy Adobe and own it?

My understanding is new version going forward are only the subscription model. I believe you can still buy a perpetual license of older versions, but moving forward you can only use it by monthly subscription. I'm not a heavy Adobe user... so I may be mistaken.