• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDraw!

jiarby

Ahh. The equipment question. Seen here over and over again...

When I was a musician I played in lead trumpet in a big college jazz program. We were on the road doing a 5-6 city tour and playing with a guy named Jon Faddis. In the trumpet world Faddis is quite famous. Besides the concerts we also held clinics/master classes. There would be 40-50 local trumpet players (all high school kids) that would watch us play something, then Faddis would make a comment to illustrate some point.

At the end of this thing there was a Q&A. HS kids are always hung up on equipment. What horn/valve oil/mute/mouthpiece do you use. As if they could learn the magic hardware combination then they could replicate our sound/results.

Then one of these kids made a snippy comment about how Faddis could play double-c's only because he played on a teeny pea shooter mouthpiece... it was like this:

kid: "I play on a large bore concert symphonic model.... not a dinky small mouthpiece like YOU... how am I going to learn to play high??

Faddis: "WTF?" paraphrased "Listen to this"

Then he tears off a monster screaming bebop lick that no one on earth can play (except Arturo Sandoval) with his "dinky mouthpiece"

Faddis: "Is that the kind of lick you are talking about?"

Kid: "Yeah...MY horn/mouthpiece won't let me do that"

Faddis: "Let me see it..."

The kid digs out his horn and mouthpiece and hands it up to Faddis...we all know what is coming don't we.

Faddis plays the exact same bebop lick and a few other things then looks at the horn again on both sides and hands it back to the kid...

Faddis: "Nope... looks like your horn is just fine. Maybe you need to practice more?"

Corel vs. Illustrator? Pick one and learn to use it. The horn doesn't matter.

Fbomb

Wow! Not one Corel sucks post...This is a first! Mods close this thread so it can be the one and only :)

I love Corel, Adobe gets too involved for simple tasks IMO, but is better if full color digital printing is your medium.

Adobe is more popular b/c most college or training courses teach Adobe...

m.hafenbrack

Ahh. The equipment question. Seen here over and over again...

When I was a musician I played in lead trumpet in a big college jazz program. We were on the road doing a 5-6 city tour and playing with a guy named Jon Faddis. In the trumpet world Faddis is quite famous. Besides the concerts we also held clinics/master classes. There would be 40-50 local trumpet players (all high school kids) that would watch us play something, then Faddis would make a comment to illustrate some point.

At the end of this thing there was a Q&A. HS kids are always hung up on equipment. What horn/valve oil/mute/mouthpiece do you use. As if they could learn the magic hardware combination then they could replicate our sound/results.

Then one of these kids made a snippy comment about how Faddis could play double-c's only because he played on a teeny pea shooter mouthpiece... it was like this:

kid: "I play on a large bore concert symphonic model.... not a dinky small mouthpiece like YOU... how am I going to learn to play high??

Faddis: "WTF?" paraphrased "Listen to this"

Then he tears off a monster screaming bebop lick that no one on earth can play (except Arturo Sandoval) with his "dinky mouthpiece"

Faddis: "Is that the kind of lick you are talking about?"

Kid: "Yeah...MY horn/mouthpiece won't let me do that"

Faddis: "Let me see it..."

The kid digs out his horn and mouthpiece and hands it up to Faddis...we all know what is coming don't we.

Faddis plays the exact same bebop lick and a few other things then looks at the horn again on both sides and hands it back to the kid...

Faddis: "Nope... looks like your horn is just fine. Maybe you need to practice more?"

Corel vs. Illustrator? Pick one and learn to use it. The horn doesn't matter.

:goodpost:

Jackpine

I bought Corel ver1, 3, 7. 10 and X3 and never looked back. It has always done what I need it to do. It's a deal for the price.

G

gps-hi

Yes, absolutely mention it, it's not something to be ashamed of. Mastery of a program shows the ability to learn one. I've gotten jobs in Illustrator dominated shops with my Corel heavy background.

Two things to bear in mind, always be honest on a resume and in an interview. And have a strong portfolio of work to show. The portfolio shows what your capable of doing and being upfront about your strengths and weaknesses shows integrity. Tools can be learned, good design sense is much harder to ingrain and integrity is something you either have or don't have.