• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDraw!

signsrup

:Canada::Canada:Been using corel since CorelDraw4 (1996). My question is as a designer is it even worth mentioning that you know how to use it or not? Is Coreldraw a good program to know or not? Share your thoughts & experiences. Thanks.:wavingflag::wavingflag:

zmatalucci

My question is as a designer is it even worth mentioning that you know how to use it or not?

If it makes you money, who cares what others think!

weaselboogie

Corel rivals illustrator and holds it's own. There's pros and cons to both programs but they are just tools. A good designer could work magic in ms publisher if he had to.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What do you want to do?
It seems you might know Corel really well, what's that going to hurt?

How well do you know Illustrator? If you have 13 years of Corel experience, then that is probably not going to go anywhere. If you plan on moving up the design food chain, then look at the software that is required at certain shops or design firms and learn that. If you plan on interviewing for a job right now, then you might be at a slight disadvantage if they require more than Corel, you just dazzle them with your portfolio and explain that you can learn any software they require.

One thing you do not want to do. Whatever job you interview for or get, learn the software and don't carry on about this software is better than that software... that gets old real quick.

trik

If it is for resume purposes I think listing your experience with something for 13 years would be a positive, unless the job you are applying for recommends Illustrator. However, with 13 years, I think you could learn it pretty quickly. I have used Corel since 1995, but about 5 years ago I started with Illustrator and Photoshop. Actually I bounce back and forth to this day still, actually despending on what I am designing, I do more in Flexi as well...lol

Mark S. Adams

I have always thought that Adobe products were the dominant design software, with Corel's products being number two. However, for me personally, Corel is #1. I do everything that I can do in Corel. I have and use adobe products only when required in order to get some files to a point that they will import into Corel with no loss of information. Use the software you know, and know the software you use. Expand knowledge into other software products as opportunities arise, or as required to accomplish certain tasks.

Mark S. Adams

Rodi

I hope Corel prospers, because its the last bit of competition Illustrator has, and I hope it gains market share.

ChiknNutz

I prefer Corel over Illustrator, but that is just me and is personal preference more than anything. Both are very good and both will do what the other does.

Ponto

I am a Corel fan but also use flexi, photoshop, illustrator... All applications are generally open and I jump around depending on where I need to go with my files. They also have their strenghts and weaknessess... but it is the guy at the keyboard that makes the software shine!

JP

R08

:Canada::Canada:Been using corel since CorelDraw4 (1996). My question is as a designer is it even worth mentioning that you know how to use it or not? Is Coreldraw a good program to know or not? Share your thoughts & experiences. Thanks.:wavingflag::wavingflag:

I like CorelDraw. Tried illustrator (after having used Draw for about 10 years) and couldn't get used to it.

But to answer the question directly. It depends on who you are mentioning it to. I find certain industries are adobe snobs and others; like the sign industry, the attitude is: "whatever gets the job done."

But if your looking for a job in an ad agency...I think you might get laughed at.

Rob

David Wright

I only know Corel Draw but if I was one that wanted to make my self employable , I would learn Illustrator. You can't ignore the dominance it has in the marketplace.

(Why does CorelDraw! have the exclamation point anyways?)

Deaton Design

Both of them have their place in the industry and both have great features. I learned illustrator early on after using freehand for a couple years, but I have corel on my shop computer also to open files and occasionally do layout in it also. I push myself to learn what I can with software. Never know when you might need it.