• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coroplast for Sign Face

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Many sign cabinets have frames. The frames hold the plexi / lexan faces in place with blocks / strips glued along the top and bottom. The sign is engineered to have the blocks on the top take the entire weight of the face. The bottom of the face does not rest on the bottom frame, but stays suspended about 1/4" off the bottom. The face hangs like a sheet held by the top. If you slide a sheet in without blocks you will have all of the weight sitting on the bottom frame, and no blocks to keep the face from being blown out of the frame. This is changing the structural engineering of the sign in a way it wasn't designed.

On a 4x8?

Johnny Best

Your going to buy two pieces or thin Coro to slide into the track of the cabinet and put information on them. Climb up and install them. Just as well buy two pieces of lexan or acrylic and do the job right. That thin coro sheets will pop out that sign with the first gust of wind.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
3mm ACM is 0.81lb per sf
3/16" acrylic is 1.07lb per sf
There is no reason ACM can't be used in a cabinet sign.

Quite right. I called my supplier back, this morning. He told me the specs for 1/4".

However, I still would not use it.​

player

On a 4x8?
Yes. If the strips are on and the proper calculations for height and width are used, the sheet hangs nicely. Never any oil can and the sheet will be flat or have a slight outward bulge. Box sign faces look terrible to me when they bow in. Or if they are wavy or oil canned. Especially in hot weather when the sun is beating down on the plastic. The other issue is when the sign face is sitting on the bottom it is the screws that keep the face closed that take the weight. Many signs the screws are stripped or not designed to take the weight of the plexi. If it is hanging from the top the weight is held by the frame and supported evenly all the way along the top.

This may seem redundant if you would rather just slide in the faces and not worry about the sheet not sitting perfectly all the time all year round with every sign. Each to his own I guess.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yes. If the strips are on and the proper calculations for height and width are used, the sheet hangs nicely. Never any oil can and the sheet will be flat or have a slight outward bulge. Box sign faces look terrible to me when they bow in. Or if they are wavy or oil canned. Especially in hot weather when the sun is beating down on the plastic. The other issue is when the sign face is sitting on the bottom it is the screws that keep the face closed that take the weight. Many signs the screws are stripped or not designed to take the weight of the plexi. If it is hanging from the top the weight is held by the frame and supported evenly all the way along the top.

This may seem redundant if you would rather just slide in the faces and not worry about the sheet not sitting perfectly all the time all year round with every sign. Each to his own I guess.

I never came across a 4x8 with a hanging bar in it.. thought that was only for the big boys. To each his own I guess.

player

I never came across a 4x8 with a hanging bar in it.. thought that was only for the big boys. To each his own I guess.
Once you set up for them it's no biggy. Have employees cut the strips out of scrap as a filler job. We glue them together to get the proper thickness. The corners of the sign faces have to be ground away an eighth to 1/4" to make room for the corner brackets. It is good to have your measurements for each frame type written down so there is no mistakes.

edit: It's good to use a small nut and bolt on the blocks with polycarbonate.

Jeremiah

When I overthink something, I always waste time and money . Banner , Done , Paid , wait 3 months and install a good sign. = Happy customer and I have done 3 more jobs today .