• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Correct paint for fiberglass lighted sign face

strypguy

Hello,

I have a customer with a two sided 8'x6' lighted sign. The face is formed fiberglass with an aluminum frame. The paint is faded and cracked. I planned to have it soda blasted. I need to know a correct white paint that is used so the light will show through when lit.

Any help is appreciated including where to buy it.

Thanks,

John

Techman

you plan on spending a couple hundred to get this thing ready to repaint when you can buy a new one for that much already paitned??

Jillbeans

Grip-Flex might work, but it's expensive and a pain to use (at least it was to me) You have to use their reducer and it must be sprayed in about 12 mist coats in overlapping patterns. It's real sticky and stinky.
Unless this is some special sign that you are trying to save, I'd look into purchasing new.
Love....Jill

visual800

take my advice, trash the fiberglass and order a new one. formed pan or whatever you gotta do. This is NOT worth it. Go ahead ask me how I know.

signguy 55

This is not a job to learn on, especially if you don't know what kind of paint to use.

I know you're trying to save the customer money, but you could mess up big time and still have to give the customer new faces afterwards. If customer is stubborn I would walk away.

There are vendors who could do this very reasonably. At worst just buy the blank faces and letter with translucent vinyl. Must less work, customer probably wouldn't know the difference. Most customers care only if everything's spelled right and from some of the signs I've seen they must not care about that anymore.

strypguy

Thanks for the replys. Talked to another large sign company in my area and I got the same advice from them to trash and get new. That's why I asked before I took the job!!

John