Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of new logo design?

Discussion in 'Logo Design' started by SignProPlus-Chip, Aug 27, 2012.

1. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Premium Subscriber

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    Just curious as to a ballpark of what some of you charge?

For example, say an independent contractor, a one man operation...he wants business cards but also wants a logo created.

Places I used to work (but not design for) cobbled clip art together from the internet and charge $30-60 for the work. Not my cup of tea.

In my experience I never charged a dime below $250 for a job like this. That was usually a flat rate for a job where I had creative control and just output a logo.

It goes up from there by the hour if the client gets too involved and starts burning time with revision after revision.

So what's your take?

Tags:
  2. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    granted I am not the designer,

but I seem to remember him saying a VERY SIMPLE logo starts at $180 then goes up.
    this includes the release of ownership

products and product layout are extra

3. olivercado

olivercado New Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Pensacola FL
    B&W for a business card, starts at $100+, $250+ for color...

4. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    you charge less for a B&W logo?

5. john1

john1 Guest

Honestly, Depends on the customer. Typically $199-$249 though. I sometimes outsource the design and sometimes do it in house depending on what it is. Typical small mom and pop operation.

I would love to get what some on here are getting but i'm not there yet. I received a quote from a logo designer once for starting at a few grand...Yeah

6. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    we never charge for the "item", given that a logo is so personal and can go through many revisions. We charge by the hour. Sometimes we hit the ball first swing and the logo can be $150-200, sometimes it can run on and on. It's an incentive for the client to focus early.

7. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    We outsource all our logo design to Phillip, we generally charge our customer 3x his rate.

8. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    We charge for a block/window of time set aside to create a logo or image. We itemize it as a retainer. If we don't use it all up in design time, we allow the remainder to go towards any signs they might need afterwards. If more time is needed we extend it for a second block of time. The more time they use up, the more it costs, but they are buying more than just a emblem or style of letters. It's an all encompassing achievement.

Years ago, I heard of agencies getting thousands of dollars and even 10's of thousands for doing almost crude work.... and many times copied, so I always felt charging this way was more fair for the customer and you.

9. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    This...but it depends how bad I want the job. I normally don't separate out "logo design", because everyone here seems to think everything should be free, so I just include his design in with whatever the item is I'm quoting, and it's all rolled into "production cost".

10. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    For small business & new, simple fonts & maybe something else simple starts at $150 it goes up fast when they want other then that or if large business. I've only have had 3 willing to pay.

But again most of my work is just proper layout for sign advertising, logos & graphics supplied these days.