• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Could you live without daily electronic conveniences

WildWestDesigns

Take me back to the 1700's as long as I can bring my cordless drill.

I think you would be in for quite a shock with what all that entails with going back to the 1700s even if it was possible to bring along the cordless drill.

Even if you totally unplugged from those things, doesn't mean that you won't pick up something that is just as consuming of your time and keeps you from said people also.

If I were to totally unplug from aforementioned devices (which would really cut into my earning a living since they are tools that I use), I would just be out with the horses and since not many of my friends and family want to spend that much time with them, I would just be doing that.

Best thing is to do everything in moderation.

rjssigns

Could live without a bunch of stuff. Funny how many billion dollar businesses came about before internet, cellphones, texts and emails we have today.

The truth is that they are not necessities just conveniences that we have become accustomed too. And damned expensive ones at that!

All this "sterile" communication is causing the loss of soft skills. What will some of these techno-geeks do if a client wants a face to face. They will not know how to act, and many perform poorly. I know this because at age 47 I went back to school and observed and asked questions. There are a group of older students and faculty that feel there should be a full semester of soft skills training. This is a proven need based on employer feedback on new graduates. They do not know how to act in a group, on call, or in client meetings. I have talked with HR people and some have said they are more concerned with soft skills than what their degree is.
I'll get off my soapbox now.

OldPaint

YOU KIDS.........do realize their are people here who are old enough to have lived in what you guy would consider barbaric times. i was born 1945. and some here are older, but from my upbringing in the part of the country i grew up in,(washington county, pa) was at the time 40 years behind the times then. you make jokes about walkin to school up hil in 4 ft of snow. I KNOW PEOPLE WHO DID THAT!!! for real. 1950-51 winter in western pa, stopped everything for almost a week. no power, no telephone. but then, we were not so "dependant" on either. we had a COAL STOVE. gravity heat. no electric blower on it. so it didnt matter. WATER, we had a well with electric pump, but within walkin distance of the house was a SPRING, ran year round with the best tasting water you ever drank. when we went grocery shopping then, you did it for 2 weeks. so we didnt have any problem of getting fed. we also had a wood stove we could cook on. didnt get an electric stove till bout 1953. my mother "canned" vegtables in the fall we grew in the big garden all summer. we picked walnuts in the fall and hulled them. so we had nuts all winter. everybody hunted then.......so getting fresh meat was no problem. we had chickens. picked eggs everyday. when we wanted chicken for supper, go get one dad would cut off its head, put it in hot water the feathers would come right off, out in a pot. EAT IT. we had an OUTHOUSE!!! we took a bath once a week. drag in the big tub off the porch into the kitchen, heat water on the wood stove, all 3 of us used the same bath water!!!! didnt get hot water and a shower till 1958. so for me, i pretty well seen it all come in, take over and make everyone totally dependant on someone else to keep them comfortable. i was here in pcola in this house when HURRICANE IVAN hit. we sat thru it. was 2 weeks no electric, we had water, and hot water, cause we had a gas hot water heater!!!! city water. we still have a septic system. we faired a lot better then most. also coming from where i did.........helped.

no freaking way!!

no email..Ouch!!!
no internet.Ouch!!!
no iPad (now touchpad2 beta) for me OUCH!!!

sorry guys we need 2012 tech to give 2012 expectations in the real world...

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

YOU KIDS.........do realize their are people here who are old enough to have lived in what you guy would consider barbaric times.

You do realize that some of us "kids" have had experiences not to far off? Usually due to unforeseen circumstances mind you, and we managed, but I wouldn't willingly go back to doing it that way.

Locals Find!

Have I unplugged yes. Would I willingly do so. No! My #1 reason is I depend on a lot of technology just to stay alive on a daily basis. I have to have a phone line to check my defibrillator and a cell phone to be able to dial 911 on a moments notice if necessary.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Do you mean return to spending all of one's time hunting and gathering or merely ridding oneself of the completely idiotic cell phones with all of their attendant inane gadgets and applications that seem so indispensable to people these days?

If the former, not a chance.

I the latter, I don't have one of the things and wouldn't have one up my butt if there were room for a basketball so the question is moot.

Craig Sjoquist

That would be easy for me to un-plug.

The worst part is losing the friends I've gained being plug in and regrouping to stay in touch.

The next is the work I've gained by using the internet, but I would just re-group and find work other ways like I did before PCs

visual800

I could lose the cell phone for sure. most of the time i dont answer anyway. a good bit of work comes thru emails along with alerts from contractor websites. I need that. and I do need the internet for more than facebook or ebay. it is a tool that enables me to not only find parts but tools, screws and suppliers

skyhigh

A couple months ago, I took a sabbatical from the internet. With the exception of checking my email twice a day at set times (get on, and get off), my only interaction with the computer was with Flexi, Illustrator & Photoshop. I even took some time to learn a little of that Corel suite4 I bough last year.

I got more work done in that time, and it was a positive experience. I wish I wasn't so addicted to this place.

HI.... My name is Sky, and I'm a junkie.

Border

Every couple of years or so, I take a trip up to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) in northern Minnesota at the Canadian Border with family members and some occasional friends. There is no cell phone coverage up there (unless you have a satellite phone). It is a mult-day sabbatical away from being plugged in. It's always very relaxing and calming. -Been doing it since I was a very young child.

These days, it is CRAZY when you get back to the area with cell phone/internet coverage and you power up your device and watch it bleep, flash, alert, vibrate, etc with all the incoming messages, updates & voice mails. Usually some from a few people who did not know you were going away (totally away) and they don't take it so well, ranging from family members to friends & clients. I usually try to remind them of the days when everyone wasn't connected 24/7 and to take a deep breath. It was just an old-fashioned vacation... true vacations are something the vast majority of folks can't even comprehend anymore. sadly.

HulkSmash

YOU KIDS.........do realize their are people here who are old enough to have lived in what you guy would consider barbaric times. i was born 1945. and some here are older, but from my upbringing in the part of the country i grew up in,(washington county, pa) was at the time 40 years behind the times then. you make jokes about walkin to school up hil in 4 ft of snow. I KNOW PEOPLE WHO DID THAT!!! for real. 1950-51 winter in western pa, stopped everything for almost a week. no power, no telephone. but then, we were not so "dependant" on either. we had a COAL STOVE. gravity heat. no electric blower on it. so it didnt matter. WATER, we had a well with electric pump, but within walkin distance of the house was a SPRING, ran year round with the best tasting water you ever drank. when we went grocery shopping then, you did it for 2 weeks. so we didnt have any problem of getting fed. we also had a wood stove we could cook on. didnt get an electric stove till bout 1953. my mother "canned" vegtables in the fall we grew in the big garden all summer. we picked walnuts in the fall and hulled them. so we had nuts all winter. everybody hunted then.......so getting fresh meat was no problem. we had chickens. picked eggs everyday. when we wanted chicken for supper, go get one dad would cut off its head, put it in hot water the feathers would come right off, out in a pot. EAT IT. we had an OUTHOUSE!!! we took a bath once a week. drag in the big tub off the porch into the kitchen, heat water on the wood stove, all 3 of us used the same bath water!!!! didnt get hot water and a shower till 1958. so for me, i pretty well seen it all come in, take over and make everyone totally dependant on someone else to keep them comfortable. i was here in pcola in this house when HURRICANE IVAN hit. we sat thru it. was 2 weeks no electric, we had water, and hot water, cause we had a gas hot water heater!!!! city water. we still have a septic system. we faired a lot better then most. also coming from where i did.........helped.

congrats?

signswi

Oh yeah well I survived Y2K.

anotherdog

You think this is bad? Give it ten years.
How did we ever manage without HD/4D contact lenses, Facefeed.com and the apple iBrain?

When you try to put toothpaste back in a tube all you get is more toothpaste.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think the funnier question is... I don't even know about stuff, I'm already not using, let alone the stuff I'm using and only use it to about 15% if it's limits.

There is so much nonsense and useless stuff out there, that to a total computer illiterate person.... I could care less if they'd turn the electric off or if I turned my stuff off.

Other than being in-touch with someone while taking my morning crap..... what's the point of thinking about the impossible ??

Sure, if we continue using up all of the earth's resources, we might have to re-think our usage of technology, if you can really call it technology and try other avenues, but so far..... we seem to be on course.

Sometime this month, the Goddess is going to get a Smart-phone and I know absolutely nothing about them other than I hope they can work on their own. I got her an IPad for Christmas and she is so hooked on that thing, it's almost a part of her. I like it to play games. Anyway, I'm gonna look up some old threads here about Smart-phones and see what's happenin'.

ova

I grew up just west of OP in Wheeling WV. Just a few years younger then him.

It got so bad here in the poverty state if the cow was short on milk, we had to eat cereal with a fork so we would have milk for the next days cereal. HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Nuagedesigns

Funny that this thread should pop up. I am leaving for a thru hike of the Appalachian trail in exactly 37 days. I will be leaving the shop to my wife and brother in law along with our employees for 5-6 months. I am starting in Georgia and hiking north to Maine. I am taking my I-Phone with me but I will leave it off and only use it to contact her time to time. And I am going to try and post a pic here and there to my wife's Facebook page but other than that no electronics. I debated even taking an i-pod but chose against it. It will just be me and nature for the duration. I will be finishing up my last week of full time work at the shop and then concentrating on the logistics of my trip until l depart on March 14th. My biggest fear is going to be able to just let go and not worry about work. I know it will take a week or so to let go but I'm not sure how to even begin to just be care free and let go of the worries. Any ways I'll let everyone know how it goes in Sept. when I get back.

And Yes I love my wife and am very lucky that she is allowing me to take such a long trip away from home and work. She' going to be mailing my food for my friend and myself throughout our trip.