• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Could you live without daily electronic conveniences

ddarlak

Go Bills!
no, why would you want to. anything that makes life easier i'm all for.

i stayed away from smart phones for ever, the last 6 months i've had one, i see the benefits. i save more time with that thing than i could have imagined. wouldn't give it up for nuttin.....

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Funny that this thread should pop up. I am leaving for a thru hike of the Appalachian trail in exactly 37 days. I will be leaving the shop to my wife and brother in law along with our employees for 5-6 months. I am starting in Georgia and hiking north to Maine. I am taking my I-Phone with me but I will leave it off and only use it to contact her time to time. And I am going to try and post a pic here and there to my wife's Facebook page but other than that no electronics. I debated even taking an i-pod but chose against it. It will just be me and nature for the duration. I will be finishing up my last week of full time work at the shop and then concentrating on the logistics of my trip until l depart on March 14th. My biggest fear is going to be able to just let go and not worry about work. I know it will take a week or so to let go but I'm not sure how to even begin to just be care free and let go of the worries. Any ways I'll let everyone know how it goes in Sept. when I get back.

And Yes I love my wife and am very lucky that she is allowing me to take such a long trip away from home and work. She' going to be mailing my food for my friend and myself throughout our trip.

congrats, say goodbye to your old self, you won't recognize him in 6 months.

good luck!

SignManiac

Like ddarklak, why? Since the early days as primates we have continuously evolved and will continue to do so. I can think of anything I've done in the past fifty six years that I would want to go back to. My life is better than ever now and I can only imagine what will be here in just another five years. I have never lived in the past and only live for the future.

However... If push came to shove, I know I can survive without all the bells and whistles but I sure as hell am not giving up toilet paper.

TheSnowman

I don't get why it's called "Amish Project". You go to an amish community that has a flea market, and they all have iPhones, and are on Facebook.

allamericantrade

Before credit cards, computers, cell phones, pda, smart phones, real time navigation, HDTV, Bluray, Motor vehicles?
I could've said yes maybe 10 years ago, I am lost without it today. Lost power on the last hurricane for almost a week and ran out bought a generator and used my smartphone for internet coverage for my computer and netflix for the cable.
That week SUCKED.
LOL

petepaz

when i visit my sis in WV there is no cell phone reception until you get about 7-10 miles from her house. she has no internet and due to some financial troubles she had her satellite turned off so all she had was video games and movies for the kids. i survived but it was tough. sure we could go without it. i was around before all that technology stuff really took over. 21 years ago we didn't have the internet at work, no cell phones, all correspondence was done through the fax or mail. the computer i worked on was a mac SE with duel disc drive, 5 or 6 in screen and no color. We took pictures of the artwork and developed film in a dark room with developer and fixer for our artwork to be burned on to screens for printing. hell when i went to school for this we didn't have any computers. everything was paste ups and ruby lith for color separations. I think the people who started 5-10 years ago would have some issues getting by

Attachments

• Apple_MacSE_System_s2.jpg
    Apple_MacSE_System_s2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 37

signswi

There are probably as many people that would have issues getting by without tech as there are people who have issues now WITH tech. Every dinosaur has his day.