• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Couple-a-Things / Scavinger Hunt

Suz

Happy Holidays - Merry Christmas - Happy New Year

Hi Guys and Gals,

GROMMETS
I need to know what to get to put grommets through some corrugated sign boards, or possibly through some composite material. Might be aluminum faced, not sure yet as Customer is shopping right now. Yes I do have a grommet machine, but I have it set up for banner material.

My thoughts were: Is there some sort of plastic or metal grommet that you can screw togeter after drilling holes in the hard substrate? What do you know?

PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM - COLOR CHART
I use Pantone Colors when designing logos and layouts for my Customers. Now that I have a wide format printer, I can of course output my print files in house. I need a color chart that I can open in Corel X3, or Illustrator CS2, that can be used to print color swatches on any materials I will be using in my shop. I would use these swatches also for Customers to pick colors from. If I print them out ahead, we can agree on color. I can build one of these myself, but if somebody already has one, it would save some time. Or, if you can point me in the right direction to find one.

13 oz BANNER MATERIAL FOR HP L25500 LATEX PRINTER
Any suggestions on what you have used that works the best? Please list the brand name, weight, product number. I'm getting ready to purchase a new roll of material. The local suppliers I have are Denco, Washington Color and Chemical, Grimco. Oh, we have a Lexjet nearby too.

Thanks a bunch!

J Hill Designs

Ive had success putting grommets into 4mm coro and dibond using my hand grommet punch...I'm not sure why you couldnt use your machine for it...self piercing would work for coro, but predrill for the ACM

corelX3 pantone charts:tools -> visual basic -> play ... macros in: globalmacros -- choose CorelMacros.CreateColorSwatch

dont use the HP latex so I'm of no help there

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Try an electronics supply outlet (the kind of place that sells resistors, transformers, transistors, etc...). They usually have an assortment of project boxes and all the stuff that goes with that like rubber and plastic gromets that fit in drilled holes for power cables, etc.

For bigger gromets, maybe try an electric supply wholesaler...

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Pantone colour chart for printing on 4C printers...

(this was posted here before)

Attachments

• Pantoner-Color-Bridge-Cmyk.pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 143

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Suz you should be fine with any one of their house brand materials, if I havent sent you the heater settings yet for the vinyls let me know as they will help you run anyones material ok. You should though be looking for a 13Oz, I think the Key Banner from Grimco will work fine.

Suz

Thanks everyone!

Wow! Just gotta ask, ha? Thanks for all the help, I keep meaning to ask about all these things, so just made a list. Gonna get to printing, Thanks again!!!!

Bill Modzel

There are "long shank" grommets available for 4mm coro also. I've used them with dibond also but I've always drilled the holes first. I'm amazed that you can push a self piercing grommet through by hand Gene! I'm impressed.

Bly

Pantone colour chart for printing on 4C printers...

(this was posted here before)

This chart has the CMYK versions of Pantone colours, not spot colours.
Your RIP should have a lookup table to get closer matches if spot colours are used.

RobbyMac

we setup a color chart. found a script on oberon I think to create it. But cs2 won't print it because theres a limit on the amount of spot colors you can print at one time. :rolleyes:

If you still need one let me know (corel x3, uses Pantone C)

On banner we've used Key Banner from Grimco. Matte prints great, but we've had intermitten issues with the gloss. I think we need to pin down proper heat/# of passes still.

Desert_Signs

Grommets: If you drill a hole the same size as the shank of the grommet, you can use your regular grommeter to set them. I've sucessfully used self-piercing grommets on di-bond, 3mm PVC, .060 styrene, coro, etc. For .040 aluminum and thicker, I pre-drill, then grommet.

Color chart: I've got one at the office, but I'm already home for the weekend. I have 24x36 PMS charts printed on our most used materials for our latex and flatbed.

L25500 banner: I've had success with Arlon and Jetflex in 13oz frontlit. Not so much with the blockout. I haven't really found a good solution for that, and since it's a lot of work to print double sided on the latex, we mostly use the flatbed for that task.

Suz

Bly, thank you for the information. I will try that what you are suggesting with the RIP.

RobbyMac,
If you could send the color swatches for Corel X3, that would be very helpful, I appreciate it very much! Pantone Coated is fine.

Yes, I think I will try the Key Banner from Grimco. Bigfish had suggested it as well. Yes, looks like we have to play with settings whatever material you have.

Thanks again!
Sue

Suz

jhill, thanks for your suggestion. I tried that a few months ago, after looking it up in "help" and just could not figure out how to do it. Maybe I don't understand the macro thing. Maybe I need a tutorial or something. I tried again, still don't understand it. It works for you?
Thanks so much!

signage

Suz
Go to Tools>Visual Basic>Play
then go to the macro in dialog box and select (all standard projects) then select (CorelMacros CreateColorSwatch)> Run
Next pick which Palette {note in the thumbnail box smaller the number more swatches per page}>OK

It will create a new document with the swatches with several pages

See screen shots below

Attachments

• create swatch.jpg
    create swatch.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 73
  • create swatch1.jpg
    create swatch1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 62
  • create swatch 2.jpg
    create swatch 2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 67
  • create swatch 3.jpg
    create swatch 3.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 73
  • create swatch 4.jpg
    create swatch 4.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 61
  • create swatch 5.jpg
    create swatch 5.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Roto

Suz
Go to Tools>Visual Basic>Play
then go to the macro in dialog box and select (all standard projects) then select (CorelMacros CreateColorSwatch)> Run
Next pick which Palette {note in the thumbnail box smaller the number more swatches per page}>OK

It will create a new document with the swatches with several pages

See screen shots below

Sweet Tutorial... I have learnt so much through the years by more experianced players being kind to Noobs ;)
Roto

Suz

Signage,

Thank you for this tutuorial!!! I'm thinking there is something wrong with my program. I cannot do step 4 - that is where I got stuck before too.

I'm showing what I see in step 3, only because it looks different than yours.

In step 4, I have nothing that pops up for palettes. Is this where I'm losing it?

Help! Maybe I need to reload my software?

Thanks!
Sue

Attachments

• Suz Step 3.jpg
    Suz Step 3.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Suz Step 4.jpg
    Suz Step 4.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 65

S'N'S

Suz, I have the same boxes with the same lists as you and works ok.
Tools > Visual Basic > Play > All Standard Projects > CorelMacros.CreateColourSwatch > Run Default CMYK palette > OK

If you change the Spacing # to a lower # you will have more colours per page.

Colors/ colours:rolleyes: