• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crane Below Bucket, Why??

ExtremeG Alamosa

It seems like every bucket truck I've seen with material handling has the crane BELOW the bucket which seems opposite to me. How can you you maneuver the sign when it is below you or attach it to wall / set on a pole??

I'm looking at buying our first truck. It's a ladder with a bucket on the end. w/crane and 3 phase welders for $30K. Thoughts?? Thanks!!!
Untitled.png

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
There are a few easy ways to answer this, first look at a load chart. Then draw a picture of the setup that you envision and figure out how you would make it work.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If you're lifting a big sign then it's usually done with two trucks. Even with a jib, there is no way to maneuver around to work on a large face / cabinet. If the sign is small enough you can have it attached to your bucket. The jibs I've seen on small bucket trucks, look like that have booms that go above the bucket.

What kind of signs do you plan on installing? How tall? How large? I see most sign companies get away with an under CDL sign truck and a small cable company bucket truck

I'd like this little truck for Christmas.. https://www.altec.com/products/aerials/telescopic/ls49/

Last edited:

ProSignTN

My first job in the sign business included servicing out of a 45' Skyhook very similar to this Radocy, by myself. Load tools and parts in the basket, point the basket where I thought I needed it and climb that ladder. In 8 hours time I would climb that ladder dozens and dozens of times. The crawl from the ladder to the bucket and back again took about all the nerve I had in me. I also worked Skyhook 65' & 85', though always two men. The 85 footer with a 25' jib put you up there at 110'. There was bounce! The rotator gear was worn and it would swing 8-10 feet left or right at the slightest nudge of the switch. Just hold on til it stops rockin'. We would try to point it where it needed to go before we extended.

A good friend of mine swears when he started out, the old man would swing him up in a 55 gallon drum, have him weld it to the pole just below the match plate. He'd unhook the load line and wait in the drum while the old man would lift the head section in place and then he would weld. When the head was set, he would again tie the load line to the drum and cut it loose with a grinder and come home. Ah, the good ole days my arsss!

Enough with the nostalgia. Think of this truck as a crane, that will do service in a pinch. It will lift most poles and head sections in it's height range, which I'm guessing is close to 80'. If your in a locale without a good crane service company, you can also set AC units or even trusses for a builder, whose a good client, once in a while, if need be. This truck will also allow you to reach parking lot lights over 35' that the Altec A200 or similar 'Cable Truck' will not get to. Some Hi-Rise structures you be able to reach also. If the cabinet is big enough to climb in and service from the inside then this trucks great for you. Remember, It's still a two man operation though.

This truck is not an efficient rig to do routine lighting service of smaller cabinet signs. Again, it requires two men. Unless you employ a highly gung-ho 25 year old who Crossfits in their spare time and has no fear of heights. As far as wall installs, consider this: a 35' square tube cable truck can be eased up, down, in, out, or rotated as little as 1/2" - 3/4" when you need to be just right there. More matter how talented the operator on his rig is, with it's age he's gonna move yo around in 2"-5" increments, much more fully extended.

Seriously consider what yo want to use it for. If it's lifting and service over 35', then good deal. This would be a super great truck to have as a second, behind something like an Altec AT37 (42') fore everyday service and wall installs. As TexasSignmaker said, it usually takes two trucks for a head section.

Hope my ramblings helped and Aahh for Nostalgia's sake buy this rig so it will stay on the road and in the air!

ExtremeG Alamosa

Thanks for the reply's guys!!

This will be our first rig, so I think I need something that one man can work. If we end up needing cranes I'll have to find one. We are very rural, so most of our jobs are 1-2 stories tall, not much height needed. I was hoping to get into something for $50k or less... Any ideas on where to look? I either need forks under the wire basket, or a jib on the bucket....

Thanks, Levi

Evan Gillette

Look all over the country and contact some of the good manufacturers and tell them what you are looking for and have them keep an eye out. I bought my first truck last fall (old 35' elliot ) and mostly bought it because it was a great deal. Depending on what you are doing and who you are working with you need to look into licenses and inspections before looking into buying anything. You might also want to consider renting a new truck from someone like altec for a month or two (group as many installs together as possible) to see what you like. Last I looked you could get a new rental 42' one-man bucket for around $2500 a month.

You probably will have to decide between a full-on capable sign truck (45-60 ft) with double basket and material handling jib or a small single man truck. Judging by your budget you will end up with an old sign truck which may be a money pit, or a single man truck like the cable companies use. Deals do come up but they are usually gone in a flash and you have to know what you want and be ready to hop in the car (or plane) with a pocket full of cash.

ExtremeG Alamosa

I'm thinking about going to an auction to try to get a single man bucket truck with a jib, then either buy a 2 man basket or have my welder put one together for us...??

Evan Gillette

I'm thinking about going to an auction to try to get a single man bucket truck with a jib, then either buy a 2 man basket or have my welder put one together for us...??
No offense intended, but it sounds like you have a lot of research to do. Unless you are VERY rural and not worried about liability and working for/by yourself, fitting a new or different basket is basically a non option. Out of curiosity I looked into putting a different basket on a 10 year old Altec that was up for auction from a local highway dept and Altec almost laughed at me. Just say it would close to double the price of the truck to have them put it on and recertify. Just a basic inspection for a truck in my area is $500. Be VERY weary of trucks on auction and consider who is selling them (DOT selling because of new equipment vs. tree trimmer bob trying to get top dollar for his woopsie bent boom).

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What a small world... I worked at the sign shop that Rick bought the bucket from in that article. Neat little setup he built. I'm confused about his issues with DOT regulations hauling the manlift.

Scotchbrite

No comment
What a small world... I worked at the sign shop that Rick bought the bucket from in that article. Neat little setup he built. I'm confused about his issues with DOT regulations hauling the manlift.
I don't remember exact numbers, but if pickup and trailer weigh enough you need run DOT numbers. For a little while in CO the state patrol was having a good time busting landscapers with their pickups and trailers - I was told they had been given a specific directive to target them. We had a lot of landscapers coming in to buy DOT numbers. I had another customer that travels to shows. We wrapped his big enclosed trailer and because it was obviously used for commercial, he got busted for not running DOT numbers.

Anymore if we have a customer needing a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup needing lettered, we ask them if they are going to ever tow anything with it. If they are, we recommend putting the DOT numbers on the pickup.

Thanks for the reply's guys!!

This will be our first rig, so I think I need something that one man can work. If we end up needing cranes I'll have to find one. We are very rural, so most of our jobs are 1-2 stories tall, not much height needed. I was hoping to get into something for $50k or less... Any ideas on where to look? I either need forks under the wire basket, or a jib on the bucket....

Thanks, Levi
A few years ago we found an equipment dealer selling a bunch of used bucket trucks that had come from a power company in CA. I'm pretty sure it was under $20K. Companies in CA have to dump trucks earlier than others might because of the emissions rules they have. The truck was in pretty decent condition. The only real problem we've had is the crazy retrofit exhaust emissions contraption it had. We have 3 or 4 former power company trucks over the years.

Evan Gillette

Me as well, getting a DOT number and physical is no big deal and essentially free, a bigger lift and trailer plus a big truck MIGHT put you past 26,000 but I doubt the setup was that big? I have thought about going with an all-terrain scissor lift and trailer, it is so nice to have the work area and stability. The problem is that even a curb or small slope severely limits you and you end up renting a towable anyway...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Me as well, getting a DOT number and physical is no big deal and essentially free, a bigger lift and trailer plus a big truck MIGHT put you past 26,000 but I doubt the setup was that big? I have thought about going with an all-terrain scissor lift and trailer, it is so nice to have the work area and stability. The problem is that even a curb or small slope severely limits you and you end up renting a towable anyway...
Can always get both. Terrain permitting, scissors are the best to work from IMO

Scotchbrite

No comment
Up until a month ago our "fleet" consisted of:
• 65' 1979 Skyhook on a 1999 Chevy C6500 chassis
• 55' 197? Hi-Ranger on a 1999 GMC C6500 chassis
• 2006 Versalift on a F550 chassis.

We just bought a 2017 L60 Elliott. The idea of having a jib in the basket is a whole new experience for us!