• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crane Below Bucket, Why??

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ouch, what happened to the bumper?

Some lady decided she needed the lane I was in... She lied about everything and her insurance denied my claim... but some new information came to light so we're taking another go at it.

I got a new truck being delivered this week anyway... so my attention is on that.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Some lady decided she needed the lane I was in... She lied about everything and her insurance denied my claim... but some new information came to light and we're taking another go at it.
Yeah sure, that's what Arnold said when he drove over that Prius.

Moze

Some lady decided she needed the lane I was in... She lied about everything and her insurance denied my claim... but some new information came to light so we're taking another go at it.

I got a new truck being delivered this week anyway... so my attention is on that.
Oh, that's from the last a couple of months ago.

Dallas drivers suck.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Dallas drivers suck.

I can live up to that statement.

The lady merged into my truck and I layed on the horn. I followed her and she wasn't stopping or slowing down. Then she made a U turn in the middle of the road and almost hit another car, so I kept following and sped up to her and told her to stop and pulled my truck in front so she couldn't leave. She got out and started flipping out all over the place and I stayed in my truck till the police came. 911 even said to roll my window up because all they could hear was her hollering.

When it came time for insurance statements, she said she saw my trailer swinging and it hit her car and then my truck also hit her car in the same place the trailer hit. She told them she was trying to find a safe place to pull off and that she was traumatized by me and was emotionally scarred from driving.

My insurance company got the police report, and it turns out she didn't have a drivers license, and the story she told the police was that she didn't know she hit anything. The police wrote in the report that she hit me.... so now she has some explaining to do.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Ya get a certified operator for it or did you get it de-rated?
Still discussing that. The old Skyhook will probably still get most of the straight crane work and it's only rated for 1500lbs. Most likely we'll look into what we can do to de-rate the Elliott since we rarely need to lift anything heavier that 500lbs. Although we did manage to bend a tube in the Skyhook a while back. It was hard to find a replacement for it.

ExtremeG Alamosa

WE are Very Rural. :) and yeah, I'm a noob.
I'm in Colorado. Do these things need to be re-certified annually??
If you put forks under the basket of a tow behind wouldn't that be out of the scope and you'd be liable anyway.
In my last career, I was a professional rock climbing guide, so I am well aware of liability, scope and how anyone can sue anyone for any reason. All you can do is be as safe as you can with what you have.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Unless you have an awning, curb, or a tree you need to position the lift on top of. I personally hated the idea of a articulated lift, but after running one, man they're mighty convenient for odd reaches...

Ya get a certified operator for it or did you get it de-rated?
They all have their pros and cons but when you need to get up on top of something or in real tight spots, you can't beat the articulated booms.

Notarealsignguy

WE are Very Rural. :) and yeah, I'm a noob.
I'm in Colorado. Do these things need to be re-certified annually??
If you put forks under the basket of a tow behind wouldn't that be out of the scope and you'd be liable anyway.
In my last career, I was a professional rock climbing guide, so I am well aware of liability, scope and how anyone can sue anyone for any reason. All you can do is be as safe as you can with what you have.
Yes, cranes, booms, scissors, bucket trucks all require annual inspections. Not saying that everyone does it but thems the rules.
Some, if not all, of these tow behind booms have lifting provisions on them that regular boom lifts and bucket trucks do not. Being a small guy, that's a great way to go, at least to get your feet wet. The problem with any vehicle is that if you don't use it enough, every time you take it out you end up with some sort of problem. Sitting is the worst thing for them.

ExtremeG Alamosa

I'm a bit concerned about the lifting provisions. There are 3 of us and all of us are about 220-260lbs. so the sign can't weigh more than about 250lbs or the tow behind will be overloaded.

Notarealsignguy

I'm a bit concerned about the lifting provisions. There are 3 of us and all of us are about 220-260lbs. so the sign can't weigh more than about 250lbs or the tow behind will be overloaded.
You said you want something for 1 man to run, now you want to have a party with 3 fat guys 40 feet in the air? You have to make some concessions or you need to buy 2 seperate machines, 1 to lift the material, 1 to lift the fat guys.

Notarealsignguy

I think he was saying any one of them and a sign that can't exceed 250 lbs. I read that as "how can all three of us get elbows to assh*les in a basket" at first too.
Possibly. This all sounds like a disaster in the making to me. I'm still waiting for the AHA moment when he figures out why the basket cant be under the head section, and even if it could be, why it wouldn't work how it is being envisioned.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You said you want something for 1 man to run, now you want to have a party with 3 fat guys 40 feet in the air? You have to make some concessions or you need to buy 2 seperate machines, 1 to lift the material, 1 to lift the fat guys.
Could go with a little bigger single. This one will lift 3 fat guys up to 185 feet.
fat guy lift.jpg

Billct2

We had a used Hi Ranger that came from a utility company. It had a jib. With it one man could install transformers. Might look for something like that