• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating a template from a photo

LongBeachCoupe

Hey guys, i have drawn out on paper a design i want to be able to cut.

From what i have read, if i take a photo of the shape, with a ruler for scale, i should be able to scale it in adobe, and then be able to vectorize it.

Im hitting some issues from the get-go, one being that when i scale it, the beginning of the ruler (inch 1) is on point, but as the ruler goes on, it gets farther and farther out of spec. I suspect the reason is that i didnt take a precise picture... Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• gtr1.jpg
    gtr1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:

rdm01

To get it perfect I take my drawings to a local blueprinting store and have
them scan it on a wide format scanner, then scale it and vectorize it. The
lens of a camera and angle you took the picture at can distort the image, and
then your template won't be perfect.

anotherdog

To get it perfect I take my drawings to a local blueprinting store and have
them scan it on a wide format scanner, then scale it and vectorize it. The
lens of a camera and angle you took the picture at can distort the image, and
then your template won't be perfect.

Exactly the problem. There are a few poor fixes you can do to try to compensate for lens distortion, (photgraph a grid and compensate in illustrator or photoshop), but failing a large format scan can you measure points X & y and join the dots in your graphics program?
It sounds like you need accuracy there, but don't need anything other than the outline.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
it is called Barrel distortion. I deal with it all the time. If you take a picture of a large sign or side of a van, the two vertical sides of the van are not parallel so any graphics, letters etc will show this. I often caution that my vector files will never be 100% accurate due to this. Also the letters in the center of the photo are actually larger than the letters on either end of a long graphic since they are closer to the camera's central point

R08

Using a Zoom lense gets rid of a lot of distortion.

For example, if I take a picture of a vehicle I zoom in as far as I can with the zoom lense and back up as far as practical.

Huge difference.

LongBeachCoupe

Thanks for the help guys, i think the easiest option (albeit not the most cost effective) is going to be getting it scanned...
Im just trying to figure out what to google for... "blueprinters"? architect services? lol...

Staples wants something around $7 a sq ft to scan stuff!

S'N'S

Draw a line through the center of one and scan each half and join back together in your program. Should fit a normal scanner then. They're both the same so you only need to do one.
Draw an inch square for you to scale in your program, vetorise first then rescale to the inch square.

jeroen

draw a square or rectangle around your templates and use it as a reference to "undo" the distortion of your lens