• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

creative suite subscription is here

Bigdawg

Just Me
For now they still offer non-subscription based. But that pretty well sucks. I'll be keeping my old copy on my old computer.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Yeah, I don't see them giving up on the boxed/download versions anytime soon. Not unless they want the angry mob burning down the headquarters

WildWestDesigns

Based from some of the comments that I've seen on their FB, not many people really are liking the subscription based option either.

I don't like how I see this going if they continue with doing subscription based.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I looked at the FAQ and one was how many computers you can install the sw on and it was vague indicating that you needed to read the license agreement to find out. That could mean only one rather than the current 2 on the retail/boxed version (though supposedly you cannot use both programs at the same time)

royster13

Prices are a little high for me.....So I will continue to buy the box set every 2 or 3 versions....The way I see it is that there are enough tools in even the older versions to do 99% of what I want to do...The more complex the new versions get, the less folks actually need the stuff they are putting in them....

ruckusman

Prices are a little high for me.....So I will continue to buy the box set every 2 or 3 versions....The way I see it is that there are enough tools in even the older versions to do 99% of what I want to do...The more complex the new versions get, the less folks actually need the stuff they are putting in them....

I couldn't agree more

That new complexity is a FEATURE in itself, and it is called FeatureBloat™©®

Like so much software these days that have had rock solid foundations for many versions the only way to entice people to upgrade is more options or subversions/Editions - Limited Edition, Special Edition, Silver Edition, Gold Edition, Platinum Edition, Professional Edition, Production Edition...ad infinitum

The marketing monkeys are at the helm!

It's a lot like cars nowadays with almost unlimited optional extras over the base model - the first car maker to make the steering wheel an optional extra will give the whole game away

Craig Sjoquist

It's ok to be afraid of the future, knows I didn't see it coming when Gerber 4 came out or even sooner on other areas I was seeing, so hope ya don't make the same errors.

signswi

I couldn't agree more

That new complexity is a FEATURE in itself, and it is called FeatureBloat™©®

Like so much software these days that have had rock solid foundations for many versions the only way to entice people to upgrade is more options or subversions/Editions - Limited Edition, Special Edition, Silver Edition, Gold Edition, Platinum Edition, Professional Edition, Production Edition...ad infinitum

The marketing monkeys are at the helm!

It's a lot like cars nowadays with almost unlimited optional extras over the base model - the first car maker to make the steering wheel an optional extra will give the whole game away

Adobe doesn't really do this the different suites all pretty much make sense. Most sign shops can just get Design Standard and be good to go.

The subscription makes sense for a freelancer as a way of spreading out the pain, plus if you go on vacation and aren't earning that month, turn off the subscription. However it's not really any cheaper over time than the upgrade pricing and any freelancer worth their salt should have enough credit to finance (or buy outright) every upgrade without too much pain.

WildWestDesigns

Adobe doesn't really do this the different suites all pretty much make sense. Most sign shops can just get Design Standard and be good to go.

The subscription makes sense for a freelancer as a way of spreading out the pain, plus if you go on vacation and aren't earning that month, turn off the subscription. However it's not really any cheaper over time than the upgrade pricing and any freelancer worth their salt should have enough credit to finance (or buy outright) every upgrade without too much pain.

The only "fear" that I have is that the steer more towards the subscription model and try to phase out the CD/DVD platforms. Considering that there are programs (at least one MM here does only a cloud based application) that are subscription only and only based only, I think that is a "fear" that might be realized quicker then I want it to happen. Which is not at all when it comes to programs like Ai.

Custom_Grafx

I think the same EULA applies for both the DVD and subscription versions, which states you can have a secondary copy on a portable device (laptop), but cannot use it at the same time, and it must be used by the same person who uses the primary copy.

It kind of makes sense with subscription, I don't see why it's so bad - the only real problem is, that they control the pricing, so if next year they want to put it up 20%, there is nothing to stop them - it very clearly says so in the EULA.

WildWestDesigns

I think the same EULA applies for both the DVD and subscription versions, which states you can have a secondary copy on a portable device (laptop), but cannot use it at the same time, and it must be used by the same person who uses the primary copy.

There wouldn't be any reason to have a secondary copy if it is online subscription based. Everything would be through some online interface, or there might be an interface that you might use to access the online version of the adobe product and that would be what you would have a copy of, but so what in the grand scheme of things. It's the actual copy of Ai, ID, Dw, Sb etc that I'm interested in, not the interface. Unless they have it to where you have the actual program, but your computer has to have access to the internet the entire time you try to use any of the programs in order to make sure your subscription is still active. That way wouldn't be as bad, but I still don't like the actual continued payment for this type of program. Just doesn't sit well with me. If they continue to offer both, that's fine, I would have no problem with that.

It kind of makes sense with subscription, I don't see why it's so bad - the only real problem is, that they control the pricing, so if next year they want to put it up 20%, there is nothing to stop them - it very clearly says so in the EULA.

They have that ability now, the only difference between now and a subscription based is that with the "hard copy" you can choose to stay with what you have if they raise the price, but if it's subscription you have no choice. Use it or lose it.

Custom_Grafx

After some reading I was under the impression that it's not an online interface.

Rather, the subscription simply forces an online authentication upon execution of the program to confirm the subscription licence key status.

Which brings us to another potential downside... internet connection down = can't use CS? = sux?

WildWestDesigns

Rather, the subscription simply forces an online authentication upon execution of the program to confirm the subscription licence key status.

That maybe true and that forces people that don't like to have their design computers online. Now I do, but there are a lot of people that don't. I personally don't want to have to worry about not being able to use software that I need to make a living when AT&T needs to work on the line or a storm comes through.

My ultimate "fear" is that it does go to a cloud based application though.

Which brings us to another potential downside... internet connection down = can't use CS? = sux?

Yep.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
After some reading I was under the impression that it's not an online interface.

From the FAQ

"Subscription editions are similar to regular Creative Suite products in that they are installed locally on your computer. The functionality of a subscription edition is no different from that of the regular product. You do not need to be online constantly to use your Creative Suite subscription; however, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you if you need to make an Internet connection for a license status check."

So in the off chance you lose your internet connection on the day your subscription needs renewed, that would be your only concern

Custom_Grafx

From the FAQ

"Subscription editions are similar to regular Creative Suite products in that they are installed locally on your computer. The functionality of a subscription edition is no different from that of the regular product. You do not need to be online constantly to use your Creative Suite subscription; however, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you if you need to make an Internet connection for a license status check."

So in the off chance you lose your internet connection on the day your subscription needs renewed, that would be your only concern

Thanks Eric,
Doesn't sound bad at all I guess. I may consider it in future. Maintenance is easy, as it would be non existent. Just pay the bills, and you're fine (in theory).

I downloaded inkscape today... any of you guys use that at all? Doesn't seem like a bad piece of software for open source... geez they've come a long way...

10sacer

And pretty soon all computers will come equipped with a credit card swiper -like at Kinko's -and you can pay to use Photoshop or any other program by the hour

mark in tx

Having to authenticate once every thirty days sounds reasonable enough, but I don't have my production computers online at all. And they never will be. I'm willing to jump through an extra hoop to download an update on a computer that is connected, then bring it over to the production machine.
That connected computer is the one running the antivirus, anti spyware, etc... I don't need that stuff taking up resources on a production computer.
Just for the record, my production computers have been up for the past 4 years, the only hardware failure was a DVD drive, I haven't had an operating system failure either.