• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Critique If You'd Like

Im new to this so be a little gentle if at all possible, but feel free to tell me what I need to hear. :thankyou: in advance to everyone, this place is great!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 118

Joe Diaz

I would say give your lettering some room to breath. It is a bit too condensed and is making it harder to read. Also your blue would read much easier if it were a lighter shade of blue because as is there isn't enough contrast between the blue and black. Hope that helps.

fresh

What are you trying to express with the paint splatters? also, listen to weaselboogie, the design is not easy on the eyes.

As far as what I'm trying to express with the paint splatters, I have NO clue...I had created ALOT of potential logos and then asked several people which they liked the most and they all seemed to choose this one, which isn't really relivent to the business, but I was looking for the most attractive and was told this one was it. The others were much more related but everyone else seemed to like this one. So, on to the the text being stretched...I knew there was something that really made it difficult to read so I changed a few things here and there and just couldn't put my finger on what it was. Now that you guys say that, it's blatantly obvious. Thanks for the input so far. I'm trying to edit it now, it may take me some time. Like I said, im new to this. But I'm determined to get it down. Any more input is welcome.

Tiki

Font Sage
Looks bottom heavy & Shrink your copy down some maybe add a blue outline around the black panel

sardocs

Is it necessary to use that particular font for Darkside? Maybe try a font that reflects the nature of the word.

Attachments

• DARKSIDE.jpg
    DARKSIDE.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 100

OldPaint

well it needs a LOT of work. if this is going to be their logo, which right now it aint much.
can you take different direction with it? 2 words, and by changing the font, all in a box, with some splashed paint.............dont impress as a logo. did you ever look at MIKE STEVENS BOOKS? have you ever seen DAN ANTONELLI'S work???? all i can say with this is unacceptable and buy fiddling with it anit makin it better.
1. work in wire frame, then black and white. if it looks like crap in those, no amount of color, or junk is gona help it.
2. dont fall into the idea of......if you cant dazzel em with your brilliance, DONT cover it up with bull-crap!!!!!
3. start over........on this.

Jillbeans

The lettering is too close to the edges of the black panel.
You've squished your text to fit.
Not enough contrast on the blue lettering.
I would totally take another direction, and I'd post a suggestion but it's my bedtime.
Maybe in the morning.
Love....Jill
PS
WTF is an auto solution? I can't tell from the logo so a potential client probably can't either.

Here's a few...I have a long way to go to be great at this but everyone has to start somewhere.

Attachments

• New.png
    New.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 85
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Newer.jpg
    Newer.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 89

iSign

my 60 seconds worth of brainstorming...

for out of this world graphics:
(it's two versions of an idea... not one... and I'm not suggesting the kiddie sunshine.. but put it there to convey the concept to you.. then it could be improved 10,000%)

Attachments

• darkside.jpg
    darkside.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 91

OldPaint

wont work, looks like DORK-SIDE!!!!!!! 2nd one aint as bad, but now you got a GRAPHIC, jumpin out and weak text..... GOOGLE.........MIKE STEVENS, DAN ANTONALLI.......you really are not knowledgeable in what you are attempting. that is not being mean to you, but its the truth. look at some of the things ive said.........please!!! then after you see what great work is, some of it might be of use to you.

wont work, looks like DORK-SIDE!!!!!!! 2nd one aint as bad, but now you got a GRAPHIC, jumpin out and weak text..... GOOGLE.........MIKE STEVENS, DAN ANTONALLI.......you really are not knowledgeable in what you are attempting. that is not being mean to you, but its the truth. look at some of the things ive said.........please!!! then after you see what great work is, some of it might be of use to you.

I've been researching them since you mentioned their names. I am taking in everything I can...And ur right, I am not knowledgable in it, but we all have to start somewhere. I am looking for some online classes that will help me with this. I am still learning the programs and have only been at it for about a week or 2 and only get to practice at night in my "spare time". Hope to be great one day but I have a long ways to go. Untill then ill be pushing forward and hoping that one day I will be able to use what skills I've gained to better my business. Untill then...:rock-n-roll:

OldPaint

back in my youth..........i worked in a NAPA auto parts store in caribou, maine. 69-70 was the year i think. i was egar, somewhat knowledgeable in the parts, as i been doing mechanic work since i was 12-13. i was offered an outside salesman position because of my outgoing personality. i did good at this.............as long i was in the MECHANICAL realm of the trade. body & fender work, i knew enough to be dangerous. knew how to do some paint/bondo/sanding etc. i walked into an body shop, cold call, meaning i never been there before. older gentleman was running the place, he was also the owner. maine people, at least in ARROSTOOK COUNTY dont say much. only what is needed. i went in there telling the guy about all the great products NAPA had for his work and to make his job easier. i went on for 15-20 minutes. i got done, seein he was not gona give me any input.................then he spoke. son, how many years you got doin body & fender work? i fessed up and said NONE, but i work in a parts store and been mixing paint! lame attempt that was. he said nicely, " see that door you came in?" i said yep. he said ......."when you learn something about what your tryin to sell, i dont want to see you back in here. ok?" i said yes, tail between my legs and left. went back to where i worked, got a part evening job with a BODY & FENDER SHOP..........and learned what it was about. i actually got really good at it. ive repainted 15-20 cars in the years after that. i still retail that KNOWLEDGE and use it from time to time on SIGN projects is done involving vehicles. it was WORTH THE TIME SPENT LEARNING............you will not learn over nite!!! it dont happen just cause you got a computer and a program, cutter and can hit print.................YOU HAVE TO PUT IN...........to get out. by the wording of your post you are a PART TIMER. wanting to do this line of work. all well and good. but by doing a dis-service to the perspective client, and giving him less then he pays for, is not a good way to begin in the business. coming here, is good start, as doug little sketch shows WE WONT DESIGN FOR YOU............and then you claim it for your own. keep workin at it, checkin in and when its good.........we will agree on it.

back in my youth..........i worked in a NAPA auto parts store in caribou, maine. 69-70 was the year i think. i was egar, somewhat knowledgeable in the parts, as i been doing mechanic work since i was 12-13. i was offered an outside salesman position because of my outgoing personality. i did good at this.............as long i was in the MECHANICAL realm of the trade. body & fender work, i knew enough to be dangerous. knew how to do some paint/bondo/sanding etc. i walked into an body shop, cold call, meaning i never been there before. older gentleman was running the place, he was also the owner. maine people, at least in ARROSTOOK COUNTY dont say much. only what is needed. i went in there telling the guy about all the great products NAPA had for his work and to make his job easier. i went on for 15-20 minutes. i got done, seein he was not gona give me any input.................then he spoke. son, how many years you got doin body & fender work? i fessed up and said NONE, but i work in a parts store and been mixing paint! lame attempt that was. he said nicely, " see that door you came in?" i said yep. he said ......."when you learn something about what your your tryin to sell, i dont want to see you back in here. ok?" i said yes tail between my legs and left. went back to where i worked, got a part evening job with a BODY & FENDER SHOP..........and learned what it was about. i actually got really good at it. ive repainted 15-20 cars in the years after that. i still retail that KNOWLEDGE and use it from time to time on SIGN projects is do involving vehicles. it was WORTH THE TIME SPENT LEARNING............you will not learn over nite!!! it dont happen just cause you got a computer and a program, and can hit print.................YOU HAVE TO PUT IN...........to get out. by the wording of your post you are a PART TIMER. wanting to do this line of work. all well and good. but by doing a dis-service to the perspective client, and giving him less then he pays for, is not a good way to begin in the business. coming here, is good start, as doug little sketch shows WE WONT DESIGN FOR YOU............and then you claim it for your own. keep workin at it, checkin in and when its good.........we will agree on it.

You have some great input. As far as me being a "part timer" I am working on my own logo. It gives me something to F*** up on for the time being. "Darkside Auto Solutions"...Thats me. I have 2 bussinesses and am looking to be able to offer what my customers want. However...I do not expect to jump in over night by any means. IDC if it takes me 10 years before I am able to offer a quality product. i will not release anything unless the customer comes in with a jpg and says "this is what I want" untill I am confident it is top notch. I just want to be able to be there when that customer walks through the door inf the future and says "I have an idea, can you design something that will meet my needs?"... I used to do tattoos, Completely different world...BUT, I want to do something art related. Working on cars all day and tinting windows and running a business is what pays the bills, but I want to be able to create amazing things and say "I did that". Since im obviously not getting back into doing tattoos anytime soon with 2 businesses already, I figure I will seek what will help me where I am now and help me expand my business in the future. Only time will tell but I intend on putting my mind and time into getting this right one day!