• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Critique Please!

Jillbeans

I like it but I think the fonts do not go together at all.
I'd take a fine line and run it out from the circle and make it go between CANVAS and UPHOLSTERY.
I'd make it look like stitching.
I'd eliminate the ampersand and the flourishes, but keep the border the same on all sides.
Use a plainer font for canvas and upholstery. Something cleaner with a more nautical feel. Maybe some flavor of Goudy.
I like the emblem a lot. I wouldn't change a thing, it has a sporty/traditional strong feel.
I'd make the background navy blue to avoid the red and green christmassy feel.
Love....Jill
Edited to add a quick suggestion.
Just a suggestion not a masterpiece.
God I love Bogie.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

I like it but I think the fonts do not go together at all.
I'd take a fine line and run it out from the circle and make it go between CANVAS and UPHOLSTERY.
I'd make it look like stitching.
I'd eliminate the ampersand and the flourishes, but keep the border the same on all sides.
Use a plainer font for canvas and upholstery. Something cleaner with a more nautical feel. Maybe some flavor of Goudy.
I like the emblem a lot. I wouldn't change a thing, it has a sporty/traditional strong feel.
I'd make the background navy blue to avoid the red and green christmassy feel.
Love....Jill
Edited to add a quick suggestion.
Just a suggestion not a masterpiece.
God I love Bogie.

Hmmmmm......Interesting Jill. Gives me a few ideas. I'll play with a couple of those suggestions. Do you think the emblem in Burgundy (not red) with the Dark Green works okay? The Burgundy color in the border is going bye-bye. I don't want to sound obstinate, but the Blue background seems a bit hard on the eyes...at least to me. One thing I need to do is stay kinda 'Old Style' with the design.

Marlene

Hmmmmm......Interesting Jill. Gives me a few ideas. I'll play with a couple of those suggestions. Do you think the emblem in Burgundy (not red) with the Dark Green works okay? The Burgundy color in the border is going bye-bye. I don't want to sound obstinate, but the Blue background seems a bit hard on the eyes...at least to me. One thing I need to do is stay kinda 'Old Style' with the design.

I usually agree with Jill but not on this. your original design with the colors you used works as it feels old style and just plain looks great. I also usually wouldn't like all the different fonts but in your layout, it works. if anything maybe make the tagline a simple font but past that, I wouldn't change much at all. the colors don't look Christmas as they aren't bright red & green, they are nice mutted tones.

Tiki

Font Sage
Maybe reducing UPHOLSTERY and putting it in a ribbon panel below Canvas

Attachments

• 1bbbbbbbbb.jpg
    1bbbbbbbbb.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 100

SignosaurusRex

Tiki, I kinda like that Fine Line button. The ampersand may pose an issue so I'd need to change that to 'and'. Good food for thought!

SignosaurusRex

I usually agree with Jill but not on this. your original design with the colors you used works as it feels old style and just plain looks great. I also usually wouldn't like all the different fonts but in your layout, it works. if anything maybe make the tagline a simple font but past that, I wouldn't change much at all. the colors don't look Christmas as they aren't bright red & green, they are nice mutted tones.

I think I'll run this one 'as is' past the customer along with one or two more layouts based on input. I think I'll set those up with the logo button larger and positioned above the name and some color changes. I'm not in a big fat hurry so I'll sit tight for a bit before I do any more and think about ideas based on input as it happens.

John Butto

lastof2012

Last of the button art of 2012. I would prefer to see old time custom script for FineLine and dark grays with light gray pinstripes for a background.
edit with lunchtime stitching.

Last edited:

skyhigh

Tiki, I kinda like that Fine Line button. The ampersand may pose an issue so I'd need to change that to 'and'. Good food for thought!

Playing around with Tiki's layout for the button......
I thought maybe a glass "button" look, or at least a darker red. I also used Trucker (thick & thin) for the font.

I do like your original layout for the "Canvas & Upholstery" font style.

Attachments

• Brian Rex [Converted].jpg
    Brian Rex [Converted].jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 99

SignosaurusRex

Playing around with Tiki's layout for the button......
I thought maybe a glass "button" look, or at least a darker red. I also used Trucker (thick & thin) for the font.

I do like your original layout for the "Canvas & Upholstery" font style.

I really like that John. Love the glass Button idea and the font choice!
Are you saying that you would like to see a simpler single layer gradient on the Canvas & Upholstery? Gotta love that A&S ACE series.

Last edited:

Jillbeans

Trucker thick & thin might be a better option for canvas & upholstery.
While I also love Ace I feel it's just too fancy for this application.

SignosaurusRex

With modifications.....
Ignore the stitches in top three left logo buttons. The two center buttons have copy changed for stand alone or other applications. The Canvas & Upholstery have Teal Blue outline rather than Burgundy.

Jillbeans

I still think the flourishes throw it off balance.
They are too ornate and old-fashioned (as is the main font) especially when used with a modern-looking button.
Here are two more ideas, one with Wade Dynamic and one with Truckin'.
I think you need a cleaner, slightly retro font.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 106

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I like the originals and some of the additions.

One thing as in sky's, I would soften the shadow, so it's not so pronounced and I would try a different color to replace the maroon stripe.

You've managed to hit just about all the do's & don'ts and make them gel. You've pulled out all the stops and almost go into a kinda surreal feel without losing a thing. Other than that, you nailed it quite nicely. :thumb:

SignosaurusRex

I just can't seem to leave well enough alone......
More applications & locations have been added requiring a different proportion, so I went back and made some changes. The changes will be incorporated into the longer version.

Attachments

• FineLine.jpg
    FineLine.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 112

Steve C.

Wow! I like them all. Jills suggestions as well. I guess it just depends on the
clients taste. Way to go Rex. I'll want to use one of those at signfonts as a
sample layout when complete. :thankyou: :thumb: