• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crop marks

ballparkgraphics

Using Versaworks with my SP540. I am trying to print, laminate, and then cut. I am using Oracal 3165RA and 210 laminate. However, I cannot get the printer to find the crop marks. I have tried to do it manually also, with no luck. I read on the forums not to select center on media, or get media width before cutting...still no luck. I also tried marking on the marks and making the darker, nothing still. Suggestions?? Thanks!

ZsVinylInc

Is this the first time you have tried to do this type of work flow with this machine? I think I might have an idea of what it could be...I need to pull the service manual here in a little bit and confirm something you might need to do / adjust to help with this.

Ken

You have to make sure the reg marks are identifiable, otherwise you are hooped.
Try some small simple stuff..once you have that in line..you'll be good.
Cheers !
Ken

Replicator

1. did the crop marks actually print to where you can see them ?

2. Did you place cut lines around the objects to be cut and are the cut lines assigned a color named CutContour ?

ZsVinylInc

How Long have you had this machine? Was it new when you bought it? Did a Roland Service tech install it? Did you recently have the cutting carriage or any major parts like that replaced recently?

blackicefx

Not getting media width or centering on media advice is a bunch of crap I think since I get media width every time I print, lam, and then contour cut. I've also centered on media just fine. Here is what I do. I print and set my options in VersaWorks to print only. Then rip. After printing, I pull the print, lam and load back into the printer. I make sure the first crop mark is to the left of the print head (when facing the printer's front heater). Then I set the file to cut only. The reader then has no problem finding the crop marks as the first mark is just an inch or less to the left of the printer.

Another note is, when I load media before printing, I pull the media to the first divot (?) line before the front heater on the printer. It's that slight horizontal line just in front of the printing area. Then when I pull the print to lam and reload, I re-align the front edge of the print sheet to that divot line again.
I have never had a problem that way.

Matthew

blackicefx

Excellent point! I have usually 3-4 inch if you line up to that divot line before the print. As far as after, I usually feed 4-5 before doing a sheet cut also.

Matthew

Drip Dry

Are you taking the material out, laminating, and then putting it back in to cut.
If so, are you loading it in the right direction... The rectangular mark should
be in the front right corner.
Are you lining up the mark correctly in relation to the head position? You should line up the black round tube looking thing (in the head area) to the round cropmark. I usually set mine just to the right of it, otherwise it won't find it. It's just an eyeball thing.

Lastly, make sure you you press the basepoint key after setting the position.

BTW... I look through the plastic cover while setting the position. I'm not sure
but I think you loose the position if you open and close the cover after setting the position.

ballparkgraphics

Thanks guys. I know that I leave enough after the print, but I will try and leave enough before also. I have only set a basepoint when trying to detect the crop marks manually.

ballparkgraphics

Thanks jtrube. I know that I'm loading it right, but I will definitely double-check. I have not been setting the basepoint, so I will try that also.

1) Is the sensor looking and cannot find the marks? You may need more light to shine inside (ie: your light source is directly above the printer and dark inside), this is common. The sensor will find two or three marks and not look for the forth mark. Hold a flashlight to the marks as the sensor reads the mark.
2) Your tech may need to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor (voltage adjustment).
3) Is your pinch wheels outside the crop marks? The wheels must be outside the marks (as it was printed).
4) Have you tried another file? Try using one that you have print/cut before, shrink it down to about a 6" size and see if the sensor will find the marks.
5) You will want to leave about a 6" "tail" out the back of you media, this will allow the back paper sensor to be covered as it performs the reading and cutting.
6) Don't forget to adjust the CROP Adjust, if you've never done a crop cut before the cut most likely will be off - this is NOT the Print Cut Adjust setting you normally adjust.

ballparkgraphics

Thanks PC Sign. I will try shining some extra light on the marks. The wheels are outside of the marks and I have had this problem with other files. I'm also leaving enough of a tail. Suggestions on settings for Crop adjust? Does it have to be a different number depending on the size of the print? I haven't ever messed with this setting.

The Crop Adjust is like doing the Print Cut Adjust. You NEED to adjust this if you never have before. This adjusts the contour cut line around the print (same as print cut) but for using the Crop marks. Keep me posted what you find. The Crop Adjust information is in your Users Manual.

Riskok

We almost always print whit crop marks because we do alot of MX Graphics! This is how it should be done

1. Print (We always put the start of the roll over the vacuum and use the line across the machine after the vacuum to set it straight
2. Laminate it
3. This is were it get tricky ;) Put it back in to the machine the same way you hade it when you started printing but only change one thing In VersaWorks.

"Cut Only"

Don’t change any thing else. Don’t get the media white ore size just change it to "Cut Only"

This is key! And we haven’t failed ones yet doing it like that. And the sensors are not bad at all so I would worry about the light if your not working i a pitch black environment :)

Best Regards Patrik the Swede

FYI - For our customers who do a lot of printing, we have them use alcohol on a swab and clean the sensor itself (under the cutter head). Do NOT use the cleaning solvent! True, the sensors are very reliable, but we have had to adjust the voltage on the board to make the sensor more (or less) sensitive to the environment you're printing in...but even this is rare for us to do.