• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

crtique please

John Butto

Be kind to me on this design. Have been reading all of Dan's books on design and the others that people have suggested. I have been subbing out my artwork to other people but have decided to try and do it myself. Customer, good friend, came into the shop yesterday and needed a sign. So I put my design skills to work. I have thick skin so don't hold back and try to help me better myself so I can be more like you guys.

tsgstl

Wow where do I start?
Go back to paying a designer. I have seen your sketches and I had high hopes. This is a perfect example of how being a artist is not being a designer. Is that a "Q" or a "O"? The background color is not contrasting enough for the white outline. It's ironic that you have a problem with a dog dumping in the yard but obviously have no issue with humans doing it because this is a huge pile of $41t!! Start over!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is that cup on the background full of doggy pooh ??

As for your designing, I'd buy a few more books, take some more classes, ask more questions here and go work in a shop that excels in this work and pick their brain until you know it all and go back out on your own.

Heck, ya gotta start somewhere. :thumb: 'J' for effort​

Dakotagrafx

I am intrigued by the 2" vertical laminating film, and the attention getting aspect of the term "QNGRASS". you may be onto something there. Using a biodegradable backing substrate may be an upsell for the greenies. interesting

John Butto

The font is Roadway, and this is for the environmentalist in mind by using cardboard which is recyclable and it just flips over the top with some clear packing tape. Sorry for the Q but I forgot to cut off the tab which I was going to use for the period. Was wondering if anyone could show me some of their layout ideas like you do for others. JillBeans, Tiki and Joe Diaz where are you with your input. And Gino, might be showing up to get that job you offered and pick your brain.

Custom_Grafx

I'll raise you. Here's one in my neighbourhood in Japan stuck to the pavement I took a couple months ago. At least yours is up on a stand! By the way... there were around 5 of these... each stuck to the pavement right under some dog ****.

It reads "You train your pet to [number 1] and [number 2] at home. Thank you for cleaning it up."

Attachments

• jpdogpoosign.jpg
    jpdogpoosign.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 109

skyhigh

those dogs must have read Johns sign. He didnt crap in the grass. Talented little bugger to precisely place it on that brick.

Blacktop graphic material was born. I would have used chalk.

John Butto

worldwide.

I'll raise you. Here's one in my neighbourhood in Japan stuck to the pavement I took a couple months ago. At least yours is up on a stand! By the way... there were around 5 of these... each stuck to the pavement right under some dog ****.

It reads "You train your pet to [number 1] and [number 2] at home. Thank you for cleaning it up."
I have always admired the Japanese for their simple yet strong and to the point art. Thanks for that photo, it seems that this type of signage and problem has no boundaries.

John Butto

chalk?

those dogs must have read Johns sign. He didnt crap in the grass. Talented little bugger to precisely place it on that brick.

Blacktop graphic material was born. I would have used chalk.
I thought your wife does the installs.

skyhigh

I thought your wife does the installs.

Thus, I would have used chalk..... rather than installing blacktop media.
Me thinks you've been sniffing/huffing too much dog poop.

I can't use a brush worth a darn, but I'm a maniac with chalk. Me and the granddaughter was laying out the hopscotch board just today. Amazing how "chalk" has changed since I was a kid. We now have JUMBO chalk, and Rainbow chalk, pastels........OMG the list goes on and on.

Don't get me started on Crayons.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The font is Roadway, and this is for the environmentalist in mind by using cardboard which is recyclable and it just flips over the top with some clear packing tape. Sorry for the Q but I forgot to cut off the tab which I was going to use for the period. Was wondering if anyone could show me some of their layout ideas like you do for others. JillBeans, Tiki and Joe Diaz where are you with your input. And Gino, might be showing up to get that job you offered and pick your brain.

No wonder you're having these problems...... don't pick me, silly boy. I said a shop which excels in this kinda work. Not us. We can't do that kinda stuff, yet. We're still lettering cave-walls and numbering elephant's a**es for the local India Police Department.
elelies.jpg