Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crtique please

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by John Butto, Apr 6, 2013.

1. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Be kind to me on this design. Have been reading all of Dan's books on design and the others that people have suggested. I have been subbing out my artwork to other people but have decided to try and do it myself. Customer, good friend, came into the shop yesterday and needed a sign. So I put my design skills to work. I have thick skin so don't hold back and try to help me better myself so I can be more like you guys.

Tags:
  2. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Much better than ******** on the carpeting.

3. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Wow where do I start?
    Go back to paying a designer. I have seen your sketches and I had high hopes. This is a perfect example of how being a artist is not being a designer. Is that a "Q" or a "O"? The background color is not contrasting enough for the white outline. It's ironic that you have a problem with a dog dumping in the yard but obviously have no issue with humans doing it because this is a huge pile of $41t!! Start over!!

4. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    Did you digital print/lam/contour cut those or cut vinyl?

5. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    You may have found your niche.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Is that cup on the background full of doggy pooh ??

As for your designing, I'd buy a few more books, take some more classes, ask more questions here and go work in a shop that excels in this work and pick their brain until you know it all and go back out on your own.

Heck, ya gotta start somewhere. :thumb: 'J' for effort​

7. sardocs

sardocs Active Member

Jun 17, 2005
    pender harbour bc
    You missed an opportunity to up-sell them to coroplast.

8. Dakotagrafx

Dakotagrafx Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Michigan
    I am intrigued by the 2" vertical laminating film, and the attention getting aspect of the term "QNGRASS". you may be onto something there. Using a biodegradable backing substrate may be an upsell for the greenies. interesting

9. Dan Antonelli

Dan Antonelli Very Active Member

Sep 13, 2003
    NJ
    Dude your kerning is sublime.

10. CP Signs

CP Signs Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Stittsville
    Nice. Been looking for that font. What is it called?

11. John Butto

Jan 9, 2007
    The font is Roadway, and this is for the environmentalist in mind by using cardboard which is recyclable and it just flips over the top with some clear packing tape. Sorry for the Q but I forgot to cut off the tab which I was going to use for the period. Was wondering if anyone could show me some of their layout ideas like you do for others. JillBeans, Tiki and Joe Diaz where are you with your input. And Gino, might be showing up to get that job you offered and pick your brain.

12. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    You need to work on center justification, colors are great

13. sardocs

sardocs Active Member

Jun 17, 2005
    pender harbour bc
    Did you handle the installation yourself or sub it out?

14. Custom_Grafx

Custom_Grafx Very Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
    I'll raise you. Here's one in my neighbourhood in Japan stuck to the pavement I took a couple months ago. At least yours is up on a stand! By the way... there were around 5 of these... each stuck to the pavement right under some dog ****.

It reads "You train your pet to [number 1] and [number 2] at home. Thank you for cleaning it up."

Attached Files:

15. skyhigh

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    those dogs must have read Johns sign. He didnt crap in the grass. Talented little bugger to precisely place it on that brick.

Blacktop graphic material was born. I would have used chalk.

16. John Butto

Jan 9, 2007
    worldwide.

I have always admired the Japanese for their simple yet strong and to the point art. Thanks for that photo, it seems that this type of signage and problem has no boundaries.

17. John Butto

Jan 9, 2007
    chalk?

I thought your wife does the installs.

18. skyhigh

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Thus, I would have used chalk..... rather than installing blacktop media.
    Me thinks you've been sniffing/huffing too much dog poop.

I can't use a brush worth a darn, but I'm a maniac with chalk. Me and the granddaughter was laying out the hopscotch board just today. Amazing how "chalk" has changed since I was a kid. We now have JUMBO chalk, and Rainbow chalk, pastels........OMG the list goes on and on.

Don't get me started on Crayons.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  19. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

No wonder you're having these problems...... don't pick me, silly boy. I said a shop which excels in this kinda work. Not us. We can't do that kinda stuff, yet. We're still lettering cave-walls and numbering elephant's a**es for the local India Police Department.
    elelies.jpg

20. John Butto

Jan 9, 2007
    I could letter the signs that say, "do not let your elephants sh## here" for you.