• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crumbling Vinyl on trailer

timaquatic

I have a client that has a trailer that he had wrapped about 10 years ago, the vinyl and laminate is now cracking and even crumbling, what would be the best way to be able to prep this to be re-wrapped? This seems like a monster task to scrape, sand etc. and because the vinyl has dried out completely peeling it off is out of the question. Could he get the aluminum panels replaced or is sand blasting an option.
Any suggestions?

CheapVehicleWrap

Welcome from NJ!

Nightmare! Personally I'd try working it inside of a heated paintbooth. Wow, and you're already in Florida.. Expect to make money on this one.

Letterbox Mike

You might first start with some of the vinyl removal chemicals like Grog or something similar, they are supposed to "reactivate" the vinyl, or soften it and the adhesive up a bit to make it more like newer vinyl. I used it a long time ago on a job and remember it worked fairly well but I don't know how well it'd work for a giant application like this.

If that doesn't work, and heat and fingernails and lil chizzlers fail, you'll need a Vinyl Zapper. It'll be tedious and messy and you'll go through a few wheels but it'll definitely work and it's a good tool to invest in anyway.

Mosh

Anything on there this long is going to create a risk of paint damage. I think they are
planning re-wrapping anyway.

OldPaint

this pretty well make the old line " you can just take it off when you sell it" dont it? i wouldnt touch it!!!!!!
take to a BODY SHOP, they have "STEAM JENNY'S, the like you never new existed. and IT WILL REQUIRE A NEW REPAINT..........and cure time...........before you lay anything on it.............if you take this one..........ITS GONA COST YOU....in the end.

Mosh

Worried about it have the customer take care of removal, send him to a body shop like said. If I were doing it, I'd explain that the paint may come off and hotsie it off. Putting wrap on bare aluminum should not be a problem.

grafixemporium

Baking soda blasting works well on aluminum. It's not as abrasive as sand, so it doesn't damage or pit the substrate. They can usually take things off in layers. If it's really, really bad and the heat/pressure washing isn't getting it off, I'd get a quote on soda blasting it.

Of course, all guarantees on saving the original finish of the trailer are out the window no matter what you try.

BobM

Baking soda blasting works well on aluminum. It's not as abrasive as sand, so it doesn't damage or pit the substrate. They can usually take things off in layers. If it's really, really bad and the heat/pressure washing isn't getting it off, I'd get a quote on soda blasting it.

Of course, all guarantees on saving the original finish of the trailer are out the window no matter what you try.

I called a customer of mine that specializes in Soda Blasting. He says that Soda Blasting will not work on removal of vinyl. Much like trying to sandblast Power Coated material, the surface is too hard.

Patrick46

Geeze...since it's been on for 10 years now, why do you have to remove the old stuff??

I think I'd be inclined to pressure wash off the loose stuff, and stick the new one right over the top of the old one.

Signguyno1

Have customer take it to a truck stop, they have high pressure hotsy's that will remove substrate, but remember in all hot applications you risk the distortation of metals (warping or oil canning) in many cases re-painting could be required.

Sand blasting will absolutely damage the metal of vehicle from the friction heat created.

Leave it to the customer!

CheapVehicleWrap

Not that it's an option AT ALL, but you'd be VERY surprised how inefficient sand blasting vinyl is even with very aggressive media.