• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cs2

WOODBS

i have been working more in cs2, only a few files open and have flexi open also. i just tried to change the image size on a 27"x120" at 300dpi down to 72 dpi , and it was taking forrrevveerrr, then said not responding. finally i gave up and c/a/deleted. i posted a similar issue in the flexi forum and most said it was ram, but i have 4g. in the past it would work fine just recently started crawling like this. any clues. thanks brett

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
First things that come to mind would be either

• You've just run a very memory intensive process and you're low on resources. It may be as simple as the 27" x 120" canvas size at 300 ppi has choked your machine.
  • Large file is in the clipboard.
  • Some other process is running and consuming resources. Check Processes under Windows Task Manager. Check also for any recent changes to your computer such as a new application installed or a Windows update.
  • Close Flexi and other applications when working with a file of that size.
  • Check your memory allocation and scratch disk settings in Photoshop.

Techman

check yoru undo levels,
Undo has a copy of every change you made. And a huge file will quickly use up lots of memory.

WOODBS

thanks , what should my scratch disc settings be at? i have start up now , should it be my external drive?

GARY CULY

Techman...is This Undo Levels A File Someplace? That Needs Deleted Ever So Often? My Flexi Seems Slow Latly Also ...is There Some Files SOMEPLACE That Need Deleted.?.where There Piling Up At?
Thank You Techman

WOODBS

he is talking about cs2, and there are temp files you can delete...anyway, i posted this pic in the wrong place..oops, didn't see how to delete it oh well

Attachments

• haylo country road copy small.jpg
    haylo country road copy small.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 152

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
thanks , what should my scratch disc settings be at? i have start up now , should it be my external drive?

The best kind of scratch disk is either a second internal drive, an external drive or a partition on you primary drive in that order. Whichever way you go, it is best if totally free of any other use. Size and speed are up to you and your budget.

WOODBS

don't know how to find the undo level storage? history pallette i see but, where does it store the chabges? thanks for everything

GK

If Photoshop is shut down improperly or crashes in the middle of an editing session, this can leave some very large temporary files behind on your scratch disk. Photoshop's temp files are usually something like PST####.tmp

Also, do not use a USB or Firewire external drive for your scratch disk. eSata will work ok, but when dealing with large files, you will notice lag time and sometimes system hangs. CS3 even more so. Your open file is going to be placed into that scratch disk, now every little change you make it has to travel through a cable limited to 480Mbps for USB 2.0 and on top of that what ever the seek time on the drive may be to write to the file. Keep in mind most of the external USB & Firewire drives are 5400k RPM an 7200k RPM drives. Compare this to an internal SATA/Ultra SCSI and you will see what i am talking about.

GK

Also, what are your Cache Levels and Memory Usage. Allow too much and your computer will lag. Set it too low...and Photoshop will be useless.