• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CS5 Purchase

Nuagedesigns

Where is the best place price wise to purchase Adobe CS5 Suite? Anyone know of any places for rebates or coupons? Lowest I found was at newegg for $1299.

I do not have a full version and can not upgrade I need to purchase the full version.

Thanks in advance

Bruce

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
What features in cs5 do you absolutely need? Can you use cs3 or cs4?

I guess what I am trying to say is what feature will make you a better designer or more efficient and can you do without and thus save some money?

Nuagedesigns

I am fluent with CS4 and have been using that for a while now. Just figured that I might as well upgrade to CS5 since its time to Purchase software and pony up the money.

Thanks

iSign

I am fluent with CS4 and have been using that for a while now. Just figured that I might as well upgrade to CS5 since its time to Purchase software and pony up the money.

Thanks

wow.. that's like a politicians answer..

it's time to purchase? Really? that's the only reason?

mrfern

Adobe for Educational price. Most community colleges have Adobe courses and offer EDU discounts of full version for a very attractive price. I got CS4 Web Edition for $500.00. Then dropped the class for a refund and WALA... discount :)

WildWestDesigns

Adobe for Educational price. Most community colleges have Adobe courses and offer EDU discounts of full version for a very attractive price. I got CS4 Web Edition for $500.00. Then dropped the class for a refund and WALA... discount :)

Last time I saw, the education discount applied for only one license at a time. If you run any or all of the programs on two computers(like I do) that might present somewhat of a problem.

Unless they have changed that. I doubt it, but it is possible.

GB2

Old Member
Well, I'll tell you one thing, Adobe has a pro-rated upgrade policy and if you wait too long between upgrades, then you put yourself out of range for upgrades and your only solution is to purchase a whole new version. I've been using AdobeCS and never upgraded to CS 2, 3, 4, or 5 and now I'm not qualified for an upgrade. Adobe is running a small 15% discount that ends today however. You may need a direct link to that upgrade so if you don't find it on their website, contact me and I'll try to send it to you if anyone is interested.

Why would I want to upgrade at this time? Well, as explained above, if you don't keep your upgrades relatively current then it costs you more money in the end. Also, I have some difficulty with accepting customers files that are created with newer version. Also, I have plug-in software that only works with newer versions. Also, there are some newer features of the latest versions of software that you might like to take advantage of. I think it's the unfortunate cost of doing business to keep all your software current.

J Hill Designs

I figured, that the OP bolding and underlining purchase in his statement means he has never purchased an adobe suite...which means 1 of 2 things...

iSign

why don't you just steal it if you have no scruples?
educational copies are for students, you never OWN software anyway, you have licenses, and the license for educational software prohibits you from using it for commercial work. in case you hadn't noticed, we are professionals around here, who are not allowed to use educational software...

I think you will find a good deal of the professionals around here are also not thrilled with cheapskate criminals looking to steal intellectual property, to cut business overhead through theft, allowing them to undercut prices & trash the industry, through poor understanding of the cost of doing business, due to not paying the costs of doing business...

Nuagedesigns

I figured, that the OP bolding and underlining purchase in his statement means he has never purchased an adobe suite...which means 1 of 2 things...

Correct New Year New Business motto every thing the PC way.

Thanks for all your advice I'm still scouring for the cheapest price and yes I need multiple computers to run this.

royster13

I have looked for verbiage in the license that says you can not use an educational copy for commercial work and I can not find it.....So until I learn otherwise I am going to believe that is just an "Urban Myth"...

iSign

I've been using AdobeCS and never upgraded to CS 2, 3, 4, or 5 and now I'm not qualified for an upgrade. Adobe is running a small 15% discount that ends today however. You may need a direct link to that upgrade so if you don't find it on their website, contact me and I'll try to send it to you if anyone is interested.

Why would I want to upgrade at this time? Well, as explained above, if you don't keep your upgrades relatively current then it costs you more money in the end...

I'd be interested in doing the math, but I'd expect that you saved money, even if you don't account for lost productivity learning new ways of doing things you already knew how to do before...

I ended up frustrated with the changes I encountered on the upgrade path from Adobe Illustrator 88 to versions 3, 4, (I skipped 5 and 6) then 7, 8, and 9.. so, I ended up using 9 & only buying version 10, CS1, and CS2 to open files, but didn't even start learning the newer versions until CS3... and with all due respect to the more intense & talented designers.. general sign making often doesn't even scratch the surface of these programs power, and I really wasn't missing a lot by sticking with Illustrator 9 for 5 years, instead of dealing with the constant changes.. but i paid a lot to buy all those upgrades, and I'd bet I spent more then the cost today to buy CS5 outright.

anyway, now I'm the licensed owner of two copies of the CS4 design suite, and I have files I just got yesterday that I can't open because I don't have CS5.. so, thanks for the heads up on today's sale!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Well, I'll tell you one thing, Adobe has a pro-rated upgrade policy and if you wait too long between upgrades, then you put yourself out of range for upgrades and your only solution is to purchase a whole new version. I've been using AdobeCS and never upgraded to CS 2, 3, 4, or 5 and now I'm not qualified for an upgrade. Adobe is running a small 15% discount that ends today however. You may need a direct link to that upgrade so if you don't find it on their website, contact me and I'll try to send it to you if anyone is interested.

Why would I want to upgrade at this time? Well, as explained above, if you don't keep your upgrades relatively current then it costs you more money in the end. Also, I have some difficulty with accepting customers files that are created with newer version. Also, I have plug-in software that only works with newer versions. Also, there are some newer features of the latest versions of software that you might like to take advantage of. I think it's the unfortunate cost of doing business to keep all your software current.

That is true but the first CS was a long time ago so I can understand Adobe's stance on that. I tend to skip and upgrade every other version. I am at cs3 now and still am on the fence about upgrading. There are some tricks to opening up some CS4 and CS5 files. If you have Acrobat distiller then you can open up cs4 or 5 even if you don't own these newer versions

SignBurst PCs

If you can't find a discount anywhere, let me know. I may be able to help.

Most sign businesses don't qualify for an educational license.

Qualified education individuals purchasing for use on their personally owned computers may purchase Adobe Student and Teacher Editions or Adobe education editions

"Qualified individuals include:

University and college students — students enrolled at a higher education institution defined as an accredited public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study

Primary and secondary school students — students enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction

Faculty and staff — teachers and staff employed by an accredited primary or secondary school or public or private university or college.

If you don't qualify and still decide to use the software in a way not allowed under the license, why pay anything? There are plenty of places to steal the software for free.

Please note that last comment as sarcastic as I don't condone or recommend using any software other than the way it is intended and licensed.

GB2

Old Member
You might be right about the math Doug. Well, if you are interested in purchasing direct from Adobe for a 15% discount today, then I think your best course of action would be to contact Adobe immediately and have them send the link directly to you. As I understand, you can only get the discount by using the link to purchase and if I forward it to you I'm not sure that it works still.

WildWestDesigns

I have looked for verbiage in the license that says you can not use an educational copy for commercial work and I can not find it.....So until I learn otherwise I am going to believe that is just an "Urban Myth"...

To me the title of the license might mean something as to who the software is intended to be used by and for what purpose. Also think of this, your allowed one computer to run it at a time with the education license. The regular license allows for 3 at a time. You can also get additional licenses, but for the education one, I think you are only allowed an additional one per calender year of purchase.

It was somewhat an underhanded way of getting your license. If you think Adobe would not have a problem with you doing this, then why didn't you do it in more of a straigh forward way? Especially if you think you aren't violating any parameters of an "Education" license.

SignBurst PCs

Although it is not spelled out exactly that way, the license is pretty clear who may purchase the educational software and how it is to be used.

http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/qualify.html

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/gen_wwcombined_20091001_1604.pdf

WildWestDesigns

That is true but the first CS was a long time ago so I can understand Adobe's stance on that. I tend to skip and upgrade every other version. I am at cs3 now and still am on the fence about upgrading. There are some tricks to opening up some CS4 and CS5 files. If you have Acrobat distiller then you can open up cs4 or 5 even if you don't own these newer versions

Distiller allows for some other neat little tricks as well that most people complain that Illustrator doesn't do(mult. pages) but coral does.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
To me the title of the license might mean something as to who the software is intended to be used by and for what purpose. Also think of this, your allowed one computer to run it at a time with the education license. The regular license allows for 3 at a time. You can also get additional licenses, but for the education one, I think you are only allowed an additional one per calender year of purchase.

It was somewhat an underhanded way of getting your license. If you think Adobe would not have a problem with you doing this, then why didn't you do it in more of a straigh forward way? Especially if you think you aren't violating any parameters of an "Education" license.

No I think you are limited to 2 machines not 3