• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer backing out at last minute?

icex

We got a call yesterday from a client that she needed a sign redone by Wednesday and 30 shirts. Since I was placing a order for over 300 shirts yesterday I told her that I could come get the sizes and design off of her and have them in so we can start on them asap next week. She agrees, we meet and I get the sizes off of her and order the shirts.

Tonight I get a e-mail to not order the shirts. I emailed her back and said at this point I've got a lot of money tied up in the shirts ($150+) and would prefer to go ahead with the order. She quickly becomes sarcastic asking me why I had already ordered the shirts and that my price was way to high ($12 ea from and back. front digital printed back screen printed). I e-mail her back and explain that its costly to digital print the front design (its a 5-6 color design and we don't have the equipment to screen print with that many colors) and she says to just bring the shirts when their done.

I did not get 50% up front on this client because she has been a family friend for years and we've done alot of business with her work place. I checked with my shirt supplier and their return policy is 30 days, they'll provide a shipping label provided the shirts have not been altered/washed.

Should I proceed with the order, or just send the shirts back and say forget it?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Stop the order.
No matter how good your service is or how well they turn out you will be selling her something she doesn't really want (at least at this time).
If you end up loosing money on the return work it into the next project you do for her (if you plan on keeping her as a customer).
If you don't want to keep her business try to get a restocking fee - if she doesn't pay - move onto the next one.

wayne k
guam usa

visual800

Typical results of RUSH ORDER. She more than likely got cheaper price after commiting to you. Now her anger is directed towards you.

cancel the shirts and never mess with her again. She has no respect for you. Break the bond and dump her a$$ forever. And stop doing rush orders cause this is what happens

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Totally agree.

Don't go any further and get back what you can, but be sure you implement in your NEW company policy about getting an upfront deposit of 50% and it's nonrefundable after work/materials has commenced.

This probaby the number one mistake made by everyone, both new and veterans of the business and believe it or not....... any business.

rjssigns

Best way to weed out payers from tire kickers is to be upfront with pricing. I tell them what the shop rates and minimums are. Sometimes I hear a click then a dial tone. LOL
I never feel bad when they hang up either since I know I've avoided trouble. YMMV

GoodPeopleFlags

First, I would contact the shirt company and ask if they've started printing them yet. If not, tell them what happened and cancel the order. If they've already started printing, ask what they'll charge to cancel it. Then you could try getting it from your customer, split it or pay it yourself. Since you didn't get a deposit, you can't force her to pay anything so try to cut your losses as much as possible. If you can keep her as a customer, you could potentially add in a little here and there on future orders to get some of the money back.

GoodPeopleFlags

Oh! I missed that part. In that case, definitely let her off the hook. That's what you would want someone to do if you were in her shoes. It's the right thing to do.

2B

Oh! I missed that part. In that case, definitely let her off the hook. That's what you would want someone to do if you were in her shoes. It's the right thing to do.

While I agree with the points of canceling the order and bowing out of the deal, and firing her as a customer I do not agree with its the right thing to do.

if she wanted the shirts to fit into a price range she should have shopped around.
Moreover she gave her word and then to bow out after you have devoted time / effort and money to her deadline.
You are only as good as your word

GoodPeopleFlags

Just in case my post was interpreted as firing her as a customer, just wanted to be clear that that's not what I was saying. I don't agree with firing her as a customer, either.

threeputt

This type of thing is the absolute bane of this industry.

Read about it (on here) all too often.

I have no respect for people with "shoulders" this small. (man or woman)

If you order something, put something in motion, by golly don't back out because you've come up with yet another, cheaper vendor. That's just bullsh*t.

Let her walk....and be done with her.

I do agree you probably need to tighten your business agreements up. (put everything in writing, get deposits, discuss non-refundable, etc.)

Techman

These types of customers are almost always in a panic attack. They want something done even if it us wrong. Hurry get it done. But later come to their senses and then cancel the order. They come in at least once a year. And once a year you will have a job canceled.

This profile especially gets a demand for a non refundable deposit no matter what. Absolutely a must. No deposit no start. All decisions final.

After years of getting deposits I folded just once. I had to reposes my panel. The scalp is still hanging in my shop. If I ever again fail to get a deposit it will be when I am dead. Let us learn from our mistakes.

WildWestDesigns

If you order something, put something in motion, by golly don't back out because you've come up with yet another, cheaper vendor. That's just bullsh*t.

Happens all the time in the business world. Contracts are broken all the time. That's why there are usually penalty clauses in there for those that back out that take care of the "damages" for the aggrieved party. In our case, it's usually a non-refundable deposit. Ironically, sometimes it's cheaper to break contracts in the long run (even despite those penalty clauses) and go somewhere else.

Doesn't mean I like it, I'm not saying that all, but it does happen and it happens fairly frequently. Just make sure you are covered.

threeputt

Happens all the time in the business world. Contracts are broken all the time. That's why there are usually penalty clauses in there for those that back out that take care of the "damages" for the aggrieved party. In our case, it's usually a non-refundable deposit. Ironically, sometimes it's cheaper to break contracts in the long run (even despite those penalty clauses) and go somewhere else.

I get that point. I probably should have said, "if you back out, then do so, but accept the consequences". Be they a non-refundable deposit, or whatever.