• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer changes mind after approving proof and receiving banner.

ocean502

I sent a proof to a customer that approved it, and told me, "it's a go!" After hanging the banner up, they thougt the e in deli should be moved over, "a quarter inch or so." After looking at the proof I would have to agree. However, I don't think that is is so noticable that I should have to reprint the whole "pre-approved", banner over! Full color print. These customers literally are a pain in the butt, and I really don't care if they ever walk thru my doors again. But I do want to practice good business. What do you all think? I was maybe thinking to offer a reprint for 50%. That might **** the overcontrolling, ocd wife off enough to sever ties.

Attachments

• marido's deli 2.jpg
    marido's deli 2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 83

Billct2

Actually the kerning sucks on their name too, but its what they approved.
Why bother having it approved if they can change their mind.
You have been paid in full, right?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, you ain't gonna like this, but you asked.

However designed that, should be responsible for reproducing that. That is horrible when you even look at the thumbnail provided here. Depending on a customer to pick up terrible kerning ability is not their problem... or should not be their responsibility. That is totally a full blown screw up on your end.

Hardly any non-printing or non-sign person knows how badly something will look once it's blown up to full size. You're confusing bad layout and design capabilities with customer's approval skills. They are simply Okaying a layout for what it is in front of them..... a replica of a larger finished product. They are not proofing your mistakes and things you should already know and not be doing. How on earth could you even let that leave your shop when you admitted yourself it doesn't look good. Quarter inch.... half inch...... half a foot.... it's still wrong and it was done wrong on your watch.

Outta your pocket, I say.

Besides, what is it ?? A 2' x 3'.... a 4' x 6' ?? How much can that really cost you to make everything right.

It absolutely astounds me how so many people pass the buck. Now you want them to pay for your mistake and hide behind they saw it and approved it. Did you show it to them at full size.... or an 8-1/2" x 11" ??

Flame

Is the kerning bad? Eh, yah. But they approved it, and it's not the end of the world. 98% of the people walking in their shop everyday won't notice it. Maybe cut them a 25% discount on reprinting it. Free? I see no reason for it.

Just cut em a discount, see what they say, collect and in the future just keep an eye on kerning as it's often one of those "slips", almost as bad as not welding your script fonts.

btropical.com

Do they serve shrimp at the joint if possible get some raw head on shrimp and place up in the mens bathroom ceiling tiles 3 shrimp should do

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
At 3x4 I'd redo it and move on.

Or take your knife & cut the "i" out - reposition it over to the right a little with some duct tape to even things up.

wayne k
guam usa

AUTO-FX

Do they serve shrimp at the joint if possible get some raw head on shrimp and place up in the mens bathroom ceiling tiles 3 shrimp should do
I love that you always revert to the shrimp trick.
They dont need to SERVE shrimp for this to happen.

I would reprint the banner if they havent paid yet. If they have, I wouldnt worry about it. You already said they are a pain, so no matter WHAT you do it'll be wrong.

Tim

If it were our company we would reproduce the sign for them at no cost. This type of business is just going to help your company. I will take a satisfied customer over an angry customer any day. Especially when it is something that small to reproduce. It will pay off in the long run.
Don't ever trust auto-kerning on anything!! If you think it looks strange...it does!!
Best of luck!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If you look at the proof as a thumbnail, it's not that bad, click on the pic, then zoom in, it looks like crap.

If the client designed the banner, and they are a pain, that is their problem.

If you designed it: Good customer (redo for free)

A layout like that would never be presented from me like that without some major oversight on my part. If I did send a layout out like that on accident, I would cover it. Nothing should go out of the shop like that. But they did proof it and signed off. If you are worried about your reputation, redo it for free, a 3 x 4 sign is cheaper than a bad reputation, and it's a cheap lesson to always check your kerning.

royster13

I rarely get signed proofs from clients these days.......

I would replace the banner at my cost......

In my 1st 20 years in business I gave my clients a "hard time" over all sorts of things like signed proofs, deposits, spec. artwork, terms, etc. and had a hard time making a good living...In the last 15 years I have been a lot easier to get along with have been making a good living...So I rarely take a "hard ***" approach with my clients these days.....