• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer changes mind after approving proof and receiving banner.

signguy 55

Tell 'em you'll knock "x" amount of dollars off the next job you do for them. They will need more signs than just this banner, right?

Be honest, tell 'em you can't print another one for free, especially since they signed off on it, see if they bite.

What have you got to lose, and if they don't use you anymore so what?

grafixemporium

Cost should be a non-issue on a 3x4 banner. It's less than $5. So, the question is do you want to keep a happy customer or do you want to let them go?

weaselboogie

There's no reason to even have a signed proofs if you're going to take it up the keister everytime a customer has an issue. I'd go with the suggestion of offering to reprint at a discount.

Techman

a signed proof is not a license to pass off a bad job to any one.
The proof is to stop errors and omissions. Not to approve an amateur layout.

I would guess another more enlightened person saw that bad kerning and told them about it and all the other less than stellar points. Now they want a break.

Border

especially on a job that small, I would have probably said something like "OMG, I can't believe I let that slip out, I accidentally printed the rough draft!". and got a new one to them right away. It's so cheap, it's not worth the bad word of mouth it will bring to you to make them eat it.

Suz

Pretty crazy of them to want you to do this after having approved it. Especially at 1/4" !!!
I'd tell 'um your give a damn is busted.
No, no really... :banghead: I think I'd do the same thing you are doing. Fret over it, then make them happy in some way.

visual800

take the banner down and take it back the next day and ask them "how does this look" I gurantee you they will say "Much better, thank you"......yep, Ive done it and I will do it again becuase people are stupid!

Bly

Wow I never had a customer pick up crappy kerning.

They are right but if you've been paid and you want to be rid of them this is your chance.

ThinkRight

Make the guy a new sign.
Let him know you are doing him a favor.
In this economy 1 pissed off customer telling several others about the problems and they tell several more.......
/ Disclaimer !!
I have no dog in this fight
I am only a wannabe sign person.
I do know people though and I used to work in restaurants as a manager .

signmeup

I think you should fix it for free. Five bucks worth of banner material is cheaper than a lifetime of bad mouthing you'll get if you don't.

You can still slip a few raw shrimp into their heating ducts. Just don't get caught.

Jackpine

Even with a sign off on the layout I would reprint it and make it up in another work for them. The kerning can be improved and admitting an error makes you a conscientious business person. Put your best work out no matter how simple it may be. The reprint is cheap compared to you reputation.

striper14

i'd have thought any decent signwriter could have painted a quick drop shadow to smooth out any perceived bad kerning..and do it for free..:ROFLMAO:

Fatboy

:goodpost:
I rarely get signed proofs from clients these days.......

I would replace the banner at my cost......

In my 1st 20 years in business I gave my clients a "hard time" over all sorts of things like signed proofs, deposits, spec. artwork, terms, etc. and had a hard time making a good living...In the last 15 years I have been a lot easier to get along with have been making a good living...So I rarely take a "hard ***" approach with my clients these days.....

SARTampaBay

Not always the case, but it seems like the cost in time and energy of deciding what to do here is greater than the cost of fixing it. We'd reprint the banner and move on.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I can't believe whether or not they have paid has ANYTHING to do with a decision like this. It wouldn't make a difference for us.

All I can say is if I proofed a client something like this, and I agreed there was a problem we would reprint it free of charge. The $ value of a 4x3' banner wouldn't even warrant a discussion around here, just something we would take care of.

shoresigns

If it's your design, then fix it. If it's the customer's own design they gave you, then it's 100% not your fault, but you might still discount a reprint to keep them happy.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
I would reprint and move on.
Not having an irate client (big mouth) for such a small fix is worth it.

And if they are a pita overall they get the pita price on the next project.