• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer Doesn't Want To Pay Sales Tax

jiarby

I have the customer a quote in an email for a banner, and later when she asked me the total I sent her the Quickbooks Invoice showing the Banner and the Tax.

She says

"ok... let me just pass it by everyone else. I thought the quote you had given me included tax so that was what I told the parents last night. The original budget was <less>. I have already exceeded that so just let me break it to them first."

First of all... I quoted them a banner that was well inside their budget. BUT I also show then what they can get for a pinch more... (like a 3x8 is $xxx and a 4x10 is $xxx). She met with them and then wrote me an email saying "the 4x10 is a go! When can I get it?"

Seriously... the difference is $13.

why all the drama now? I think they got cold feet and are trying to drop the deal (after literally 35 emails back & forth about it).

I hate customers like this... and the worst part is that it is for a sports team booster club at the school where my wife works.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, their probably full of (you know what). When they shop for anything else tax is added on after the fact.

To aviod those supprises my proof/quote templets have:

Total less tax if applicable: $123.45

Techman

Because she is a friggin email bully.
I hate them. Just point out to her that every one knows there is sales tax on every thing. And she is no exception. IF she give any moreflak then good riddance.

TheSnowman

None of us wanna pay sales tax, but it's a part of life...

I love it when customers think we are like, putting that in our pocket or something. Yet, when they go to the store, they don't give it a second thought.

S

scarface

Hey, I had made a post that had a similar situation and i honestly didn't let up on the customer. Yes i lost the customer for future business according to them because they didn't like the way i handled the situation but i got paid what i told him the price was and they paid the sales tax. I simply told them that they are no different than any other in state customer who pays sales tax and my prices are my prices. I need to make money at my business.

It's bad to lose a repeat customer but sometimes you have to brush these cheap customers off if they are bickering about the smallest things such as sales tax which doesn't even go in your pocket lol

Good luck, I know it's tough but it will work out. One way or the other :)

G-Artist

All our quotes include the line "does not include any applicable taxes". That's "built in" to the footer.

We do a lot of wholesale work and very little to an end user/consumer. Yet some ad agencies have to pay us sales tax as they are not exempt and some PTA's/PTO's don't because they either are an exempt org. or arrange to purchase through the school system which is a tax exempt entity.

I have had quotes returned where the requester stated it was incomplete as we failed to add sales tax. Part of their corporate rules I guess.

skyhigh

the worst part is that it is for a sports team booster club at the school where my wife works.

A good many of these organization and non profit groups are tax exempt. Have you checked? Possibly your wife would know.

CL Graphics

is it common practice to not include sales tax on your quote. When I supply a customer with a quote, the total includes tax. If they are tax exempt it is their responsibility to let me know.

Mike Jackson

I always include the line Plus 6% Wyoming Sales tax in the original quote. You can always say you are required by law to charge the tax and they are required by law to pay it. If they still haggle, suggest that you'll be glad to contact the state sales tax department for them and let them hear it straight from the source.

MJ

ProWraps

reading this thread cost me more in time than you will make off that banner. send her to fast signs. let her waste their time.

Des6139

Your wife works there.
Donate it and claim it (cost about 100 )?
They will more than likely come back for more ,Then say thinks are bad recession bla bla I will have to charge this time, then get your cost back
Saves all that messing with the wife working there

jiarby

I guess the whole think was a misunderstanding and my fault.

The initial price inquiry came by email... she asked how much the total was, and I responded with the price of the banner. So, later, when I sent the REAL quote from Quickbooks she was suprised to see the tax. I got miffed because I thought she was jacking me/

So after telling my wife the saga she re-read all the emails and said that the woman asked for a total price and I only gave the banner price.

I reduced the price so the quoted price included tax. I lose $13 bucks, but make $150 that I was about to lose!

I kicked in two bumper stickers of the banner to grease the skids over the misunderstanding. It is amazing how much they love that!

All is well now! We got paid, banner made & delivered. Case Closed.

Blazingsun

We have a Sign Hanging right over the front counter that reads:

We Don't charge Sales Tax!
WE COLLECT IT!

So don't ask!

Haven't had anyone try to weasl out of paying it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I guess the whole think was a misunderstanding and my fault.

The initial price inquiry came by email... she asked how much the total was, and I responded with the price of the banner. So, later, when I sent the REAL quote from Quickbooks she was suprised to see the tax. I got miffed because I thought she was jacking me/

So after telling my wife the saga she re-read all the emails and said that the woman asked for a total price and I only gave the banner price.

I reduced the price so the quoted price included tax. I lose $13 bucks, but make $150 that I was about to lose!

I kicked in two bumper stickers of the banner to grease the skids over the misunderstanding. It is amazing how much they love that!

All is well now! We got paid, banner made & delivered. Case Closed.

What you did here is what we've done in the past many times for an arrogant customer. However, we only do it if its for like one or two items where we might lose no more than about $25. It's seems worth the loss not to listen to someone's pie hole for hours and then end up looking like the meanie. :frustrated:

Although we're very good about stating the price and then saying....PLUS SALE TAX.... out written quotes have it completely separated out for all quotes. So, when firing from the hip is is so important to say it, too.

:rolleyes: I get a kick out of the dimwits that want to buy something for their own use and then show you their tax exemption form and say.... we don't pay tax.

Well, buddy, you do on this if you're the end user. You don't pay tax on things you're re-selling, but things for your own consumption you do.

We don't with so and so.

I'm not so and so. I'm not gonna go to jail because you wanna break the law and not pay tax. You wanna go to jail..... give me your tax exemption number and fill out this certificate and I'll send it in personally and we'll see if you have to pay any tax...... anymore. :noway: