• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer is pulling a job because I didn't respond to a text, really?

I'm just kind of dumbfounded... someone is willing to get angry enough to pull a job because I didn't respond to a text that I didn't even know I had. No emails, no phone calls, just a text. Seriously what the hell?

I think texting is sometimes convenient but it's not how I generally conduct business. Sometimes I'll text a customer to let them know I sent an email that needs their approval or something similar.

Just wow. I'm probably better off without that sort of customer.

J Hill Designs

that rediculous

i had someone text me a logo and say "how much for this" - I said 'text message' is not a valid artwork filetype

synergy_jim

people are idiots.... we just lost a golf hole sponsor sign set ($360.00 job) because I didn't call they guy every time he sent me an email. Mind you, it was 6 weeks before they needed them. The last time he called in he wanted my to kiss his butt to keep the job......

Lets just say we didn't print them.

Techman

I know your pain.
Personally, I am fed up with the entire text and instant messaging systems. Very few have any text or chat etiquette anymore and do not deserve any respect. I do not use text for any reason any more. I stopped paying for it long ago.

Waiting on a damn text takes way more time that a simple phone call. Some expect it to be a instant messaging system. How may times did someone send me a text while I was in a meeting with someone else . and later demand an answer to why a return text was not sent right away. It is totally disconnected from reality and the person using and abusing it projects and indifferent attitude to the facts.

Cannot count how many times someone would text they would be right over yet show up hours later when someone else was in conference. or worse yet,,never show.

Over time I received a few job cancellations via text and feel it is insulting and crass and low class. On par with what losers do. There seems to a a complete lack of commitment and responsibility to act when a person uses a text.

In fact, my son who is a music coach in high demand has been stood up several times in the last few days via someone's instant message appointment or text appointment. Today is the last time. He too is fed up with it and just announced that every one will reserve his time via a phone call and he will send them a square-up invoice to pay in advance and will be charged even if they do not show.

My paperwork clearly states that electronic media will be filtered and screened and all job changes will be ignored. That once a job is accepted with a deposit in person that no job changes will be accepted in anyway for any reason via a text or email. Every thing has to be in writing and delivered in person. And no refunds on any deposits. This policy has simply stopped all that text and IM abuse crap.

Christian @ 2CT Media

As my daughters favorite song goes: "Let it go, Let it go!"

Its a client you don't want anyway. They will be a colossal time waster and want everything for free.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I flat out refuse to give customers my cell number..... sorry but I am not conducting business via text messages to my personal cell phone and I am not going to get a second cell phone just for that.

Craig Sjoquist

Good approach Techman & agrees with ya & anyone else with this view, How did we ever survive without all that tech. baloney.

We called, spoke in person face to face or mailed a letter is how, that is how you tell if the person is telling the truth.

All this modern stuff has a place indeed, but if ya want it real it needs to be real communication.

mopar691

I flat out refuse to give customers my cell number..... sorry but I am not conducting business via text messages to my personal cell phone and I am not going to get a second cell phone just for that.

Same thing here.

"My cell is not for business. Call the shop number please". I say that when they do call. Some do not call back but mostly they are tire kickers.

CES020

Me too. I can't imagine life where my customers all had my cell phone number.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Tell him you never saw his text and that you need to lower your phone security app down from "Anthony Weiner Level" blocking before you can see anything he sends.....

wayne k
guam usa

gabagoo

The problem with text messaging for me is that if they are not in my phone and text message me it comes up simply with a phone number and I have no idea who it is.

Outside of that ,text messaging is not a business form of communication.
If something is of importance, the phone is the best way to contact anyone.
Emails have been known to get redirected to spam folders or even bounced back due to hosting issues at times.

When it comes to golf tourney signage, I got fed up with the daily emails back and forth of files and questions..."will this work?" I now tell the customer to keep everything in their computer and when they have received all the files, then send them and I go through them all at once. The other way, you spend way more time than your going to get paid.

Mosh

I flat out refuse to give customers my cell number.

I have to get a new number about once a year...someone always leaks my cell number. For fun I put a different name
for the voice mail to throw people off "Hello this is Cliff Jones, I will return your call when it is convenient for me"

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I give my number to the majority of my customers, but that majority is other sign companies. It's pretty invaluable for what I do and none of my customers abuse it. Some need completion photos from the site or I need to ask a question about an install location or something and being able to send a text from the site enables me to complete the job to their liking.

It just depends on the type of work you do and the type of customer you (choose to) have.

bannertime

Regarding text messaging. Since I have some customers that swear they don't have an email address, even though they have a smart phone, I've got a shop cell phone that texts. $5 a month, connect to wifi only, and receives calls and text. Or, I use a Google number that is connected to my phone. I only reserve it for those times that it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Speaking to change. I've lost a few small, long time customers because they couldn't simply call in an order and pick it up later. You know, the ones that say "ah, you know what I like" or "just do it however you think looks best!" EVERY order goes through the same process or it doesn't get done.

I like the new layout, it's a little bright, hoping there is some built in "night mode."

2B

The next time someone wants your cell number to text you an image, have them text you the image to your E-mail address.
instead them entering a phone number, they enter your E-mail address.
this will allow them to send you the image while keeping your cell number private.

Also when you want to send them a proof for review and they don't have an E-mail you do the same thing, E-mail them the proof (the proof must be embedded in the body, cannot be an attachment) to their cell number
example 10digitphonenumber@mms.att.net each cell provider has their own URL domain to use, just get their cell provider and then google the URL domain for E-mail to text for MMS