• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer just fired me!

inthesignbiz

Don't know if I would take my child to
such a mean, unreasonable lady.

She's 23 and probably wouldn't go anyway.

I would have done the same Pat.

When I get these PITAs, they usually
want all of that tomorrow to boot.

mark galoob

im going to have to agree with op...i would have taken the job, taken the money, sold her the business cards she needs and 1000 flyers to boot.

mark galoob

OldPaint

Here's her sign! WARNING CAN CAUSE COLOR BLINDNESS
how much time and effort you got in that signmanic?
not a work of art, just what she wanted...........make the sign take the money, you said you are a sign whore..............so now your gona be an upscale one???
hehehehehehehehe

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
if i wasn't slammed I would do it. I would charge her an aggravation fee though for her being a pill that i know she would be ... but i would clipart the snot out of her sign. ... then run to the bank with her money. ('cause lord knows she might do something to try to not pay you in the end)

larryo

hay whats so hard about that sign any one with 6 month expereince and a full colour printer could do it....... Well maybe anyone with more than 6 month expereince wouldnt want to. Just hope she isnt teaching the children design work

COOKY

Don't get the problem. Yeah it would be an average design but it is what the customer wants. Nothing better than when a customer says I trust you and your work is good so come up with what you think will look good but this is not the case. She has an idea of what se wants so design print and install accordingly and most importanly get paid for what you do for her. Is it nost a more of a waste of time to do nothing, post a laugh on the net with no return? would not have taken you much longer to knock up a quick design and see if it goes any further.......

Pat Whatley

This...
Originally Posted by Pat Whatley
It's got nothing to do with not wanting to do the job. I'm a sign whore...if I can make a profit doing what the customer insists on then I'll do it. This job, however, would be nothing but misery.

If I did take the order I'd have to charge her for the time it took to round up all that clipart and manipulate it into as decent a design as I could. That would easily double the price of the sign which she wouldn't like. But let's just say she did decide to go ahead and pay the price and I started on the sign. There's no way I could make anything that looked good from that pile of junk. Since she'd "paid so much" for the sign she'd be expecting a masterpiece....what she'd be getting would be far from that and it would turn into one continuous headache of her bitching and whining wanting me to "fix this" and "make that bigger" and "is this the only clipart you have of a black and a white child on a sliding board?". Eventually she'd "live with" one of the designs thinking to herself the whole time that the reason it looked like crap was my fault. Every time somebody mentioned her sign she'd be quick to point out that she was unhappy with it and that I did it. She'd leave out the part about making me put all that mess on there.

Sorry, been there enough to know that it's just not worth it.

I've got enough work on teh books, I don't have to deal with her. Should I send her your phone number?

WildWestDesigns

Unfortunately Pat it's supposition on your part at this point.

I would be willing to bet that's how it turns out, but there are some out there that wouldn't that. You just never know when those people will pop out though, so I can understand not taking the chance with them. However, you'll never know for certain since you didn't take the job.

Dan Antonelli

When I was an apprentice at a sign shop learning to swing a brush and sweep the floors, the owner gave me a piece of advice that has served me well over the years. He said to treat every job as if it was SignCraft worthy. I always remembered that and when I got out on my own, that's what I did. I considered it an investment in advertising. 1 year after starting my business I was featured in SignCraft.

We still operate under the same philosophy. Nothing wrong with being a whore I suppose, but doing so sometimes attracts a lot of Johns.

Farmboy

To prove Pats point, the first thing she would ask (going off the mock up from Sky) is why does the white boy look so mad at the black boy, and then you would be off to the races again trying to find a new graphic. I realize that Pat would put together a great sign with what he has to work with, but he prob has a better read on this customer then we do.

skyhigh

But let's just say she did decide to go ahead and pay the price and I started on the sign. There's no way I could make anything that looked good from that pile of junk. Since she'd "paid so much" for the sign she'd be expecting a masterpiece....what she'd be getting would be far from that and it would turn into one continuous headache of her bitching and whining wanting me to "fix this" and "make that bigger" and "is this the only clipart you have of a black and a white child on a sliding board?". Eventually she'd "live with" one of the designs thinking to herself the whole time that the reason it looked like crap was my fault. Every time somebody mentioned her sign she'd be quick to point out that she was unhappy with it and that I did it.

Good call Pat. Sometimes you can see the storm coming long before the rain starts to fall. But,.....I think I would have ignored most of what she had to say, and threw something really classy out there to her, in hopes to swing her in another direction. If that failed, then I'd have to fire myself.

(going off the mock up from Sky)
Oops, there is only one "Sky" on this forum. :ROFLMAO: