• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

customer wants to buy my files i designed.... how much(ballpark)?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Again, if things are explained thoroughly upfront, then you can decide to keep or give back files, concepts, whatever.... cause it's been a discussed, signed and dated contract.

Pulling this crap afterwards always reminds me of a coward. You're afraid to tell someone how you do business and then try to extort money when you can't get the job for whatever reasons.

Did they not give you all the necessary information, like name of business, tag lines, possible ideas and all you do is put them down on paper or on a computer ?? If that is your line of work..... how hard can it be and isn't that why they came to a professional.... to get their information into some format ?? If they paid you a deposit, you owe them all of it, unless otherwise stated in the beginning.

What do you really want ?? Money on this job or a reputation for being a crook and not getting any work down the line from anyone as it gets out..... you're sneaky.

You can be the best designer on the continent, but if you have a lousy way of conducting business, no one will hire you.

visual800

I also agree, he has paid they are his. I never understood this whole concept of sign people owning art forever. He paid for graphics time so there it is. I would send a high jpeg and a flattened pdf

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
You need an open dialog with design only clients.

I will be the first to admit ... if I do a 10 minute design and/or logo I don't charge them for it ... why should I ... it's basically proofing and is built into any work. if they want that file afterwords ... they then get the 'it's not really yours yet' discussion and I treat it like a file backup fee (about $125) and they get converted files on cd. ... really I consider it a severence package since 9.5 times out of 10 ... they won't be back.

for straight design time ... once that initial proof goes out, the first thing to acompany it is a "this is what you get, and don't get ... when final payment is made" agreement.

You should think about a design only client agreement form so they know what they actually will get at the end of the design time.

Now, that is not to say I wouldn't charge for your time to convert the files for him ... but that is in my agreement as well if they want files after work is done.

garisimo

If you made signs by stencils, and cut those stencils by hand, wouldn't you feel uneasy if a client approached you after one run and said, "Well, you charge too much for making signs by stencil, so I'm going to have Harry across the street make my signs from now on. By the way, can I have the stencil you made so Harry can use it? It's not like you could use it for anyone else." Further, imagine that stencils are not universal; because of competing ink standards, you would have to convert your stencil into a standard stencil format in order for Harry (too cheap to have the professional inks) to print them.

What happens between a client placing an order and delivery of contracted item is my business. Clients don't (generally) contract for graphic files; they want a flyer, or a business card, or a poster. If a client decides they would rather have someone else do their subsequent printing runs, and ask for source files, I am providing them with the means of production (something they did not originally ask for). I inform them that this requires time to process my artwork (in whatever form the exist) into a more universal format (tif, eps, pdf) -- and this time is billable.

Protect your property.

-g-