• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer's Geometry FAIL

jiarby

Custy sends me a 2.4" x1.8" 300dpi JPG and wants me to make them a couple 24x24 banners...

Now I can understand them being stupid about the JPG versus EPS thing, but even a 10yo should understand that a 2.4x1.8" rectangle will not make a 24x24 square

Hello!... SQUARE... RECTANGLE

They are different!

When you try to explain it they act like I am Stephen Hawking explaining the origins of the Universe!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
My favorite will always be the customer insistence that a 4" square or circle is twice as large as a 2" square or circle.

weaselboogie

Custy sends me a 2.4" x1.8" 300dpi JPG and wants me to make them a couple 24x24 banners...

Now I can understand them being stupid about the JPG versus EPS thing, but even a 10yo should understand that a 2.4x1.8" rectangle will not make a 24x24 square

Hello!... SQUARE... RECTANGLE

They are different!

When you try to explain it they act like I am Stephen Hawking explaining the origins of the Universe!

I don't know who the dolt is that came up with it, but I die a bit inside everytime I see it....
STRETCH TO FIT THE ALLOTTED SPACE
I understand WHY some 'designers' do it... Time mainly, laziness, and of course the customer wants the cheapest route possible ( why should I pay you to relay it out? Its already there?)

Pat Whatley

STRETCH TO FIT THE ALLOTTED SPACE

Hi. I'm that guy. A couple of weeks ago I had the "graphic designer" for a local bar call me to see what format I needed his "artwork" in. Fifteen minutes into trying to explain file types and resolution I gave up and just to bring me anything and I'd convert it.

14 signs, all similar, ranging from 2'x2' all the way to 4'x8'....one artwork file set up as 8.5" x11". I tried and tried to explain to him that I needed it in the different sizes but he just wasn't getting it.

After spending more than an hour over the course of 15 phone calls and with a deadline rapidly approaching I said "Screw it" and just stretched everything to fit.

Dude's quote when he picked them up, and I'm not making this up...."Whoa dude, that shit is tight, yo."

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i'm with pat, in the end they wouldn't know a good sign if it slapped them in the face, so stretch away and collect the check....

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Dude's quote when he picked them up, and I'm not making this up...."Whoa dude, that shit is tight, yo."

"Tight"? Being unfamiliar with this particular dialect of urban gibberish, would that be good or bad?

daveb

General Know-it-all
i'm with pat, in the end they wouldn't know a good sign if it slapped them in the face, so stretch away and collect the check....
Absolutely, I always show them and have them sign off on a paper print out exactly what it's gonna looks like. If they're happy, I'm happy.:Big Laugh

Craig Sjoquist

so what's the problem .... image goes per size or modified a bit I do this by hand alot
Always getting copy / logos / pre-finished layouts no where near the size of advertisement
that's why when designing logos etc. it is presented in other formats when a final is approved so you can put it on dark or light or vertical or horizontal or any shape

Letterbox Mike

My favorite will always be the customer insistence that a 4" square or circle is twice as large as a 2" square or circle.

This is the worst. I had a customer become absolutely irate with me because I charged them 4 times as much when they enlarged their 2'x2' sign to a 4'x4' sign. I tried and tried to explain that 2 times 2 is 4 square feet, 4 times 4 is 16 square feet but they could not wrap their head around it and insisted we were trying to rip them off and the sign was only twice as big. It was ugly, they called me every name in the book, screaming and yelling and left and never proceeded with the job. Bummer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is the worst. I had a customer become absolutely irate with me because I charged them 4 times as much when they enlarged their 2'x2' sign to a 4'x4' sign. I tried and tried to explain that 2 times 2 is 4 square feet, 4 times 4 is 16 square feet but they could not wrap their head around it and insisted we were trying to rip them off and the sign was only twice as big. It was ugly, they called me every name in the book, screaming and yelling and left and never proceeded with the job. Bummer.

It is only twice as big.... but in both directions :doh: Good thing these mental midgets are ordering mulch or stone and working in cubics.........

What weighs more..... 14 pounds of feathers or a 14lb. bowling ball ??

signgal

"Tight"? Being unfamiliar with this particular dialect of urban gibberish, would that be good or bad?

Bob: That means, "fine job, my good man."

I usually start with the explanation that the art wasn't meant to be stretched and neither of us will be happy with the result (especially with a logo involved) and that if I use the art as provided in that proportion they will be paying for empty material. That usually shakes 'em up enough to climb on board.

If not, signed proof illustrating the material outline with the graphics in place (stretch or otherwise) is a must. From that point, I couldn't give a damn. Give me my check and let's go have a drink :wine-smi:

gabagoo

the truth is that are are an infinite number of completely stupid people out there and you run into at least 6 per day...maybe more if you consider driving in the equation!!!

:thumb:

weaselboogie

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when she rants to any of her semi-intelligent friends about how you were trying to screw her over and her reaction when they tell her that you were right.

Malkin

yep, that's always fun.

Also love "the letters are facing the wrong way on the other side of the [truck/car/whatever]"

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

Well...it is. In regards to the height and width. Just not the area. Making them understand area is as painstaking as making them understand the difference between vector and bitmap sometimes. UGH