• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customers who bring in Flash Drives, Whos Responsibility is it?

When a customer brings in a flash drive with their artwork on it, and they forget it with you, or you forget to give it back, whose responsibility is it that they take with them what they brought with them?

There have been several times that a flash drive has been left behind, but I have also misplaced them in the shop several times just because so much goes on here, and so many people come in, if it is left on the desk, someone can walk off with it as well.

Sooooooo my question is, whose responsibility is it if it gets lost or misplaced?

Pro Image

Both of you........If they leave it its on them.....If they leave it and you loose it then its on you........How hard is it to put a flash drive in a draw and keep if for the people when they come back for it.....aint that hard........

jiarby

As soon as you realize it you can stuff it in an envelope and mail it to them for a buck. Putting it in a big envelope with their name on it and taped you the front desk will help remind you and also keep it from getting lost.

hydo1

I always just copy the files off immediately and give it back to them. I can barely keep track of my own flash drives, let alone someone else's.

cptcorn

adad
I never allow a customer to leave a usb drive. Files are immediately copied off of it, and then they leave with it.

Craig Sjoquist

When I've been busy
Right from the get go everything goes in a closed envelope, labeled & tagged with customer number.
samples, flash drives loose whatever problem no more
..it can be lost deep in whatever with that tag on it, knows what it's for and who's

All very good. I have a customers drive that disapeared and it's 32 gb. Rather expensive... Now I have to turn the shop upside down to find it. You better bet your pants off I will start the envelope system or have them take it with them guaranteed. I think I will tape a usb reader to the desk where they put it in and take it out. LOL. That will prvent it from going very far.

Most people don't seem to care about getting cd's and dvd's back. I always ask but usually when someone walk in the door with a dvd/cd they've usually burned a copy for me to use.

Ken

Lost ???

I'm with Hydo1 on this..due dilligence of your personal property lies on the owner of the property. Theft is not a reason to relinquish responsibilty of the owner of the property.
Imagine though...you have the only real image of Mona Lisa....by Leonardo himself...and you leave it at a printing shop for reproduction...
I'm thinking the print shop would be responsible for the loss...
Sorry....I'm a Libra...see both sides...
Cheers!
Ken

Bly

I never allow a customer to leave a usb drive. Files are immediately copied off of it, and then they leave with it.

Same here. I always assume they have other stuff on them the owners will need to access at home or wherever.

G-Artist

I hope EVERYONE is using a virus/malware checker made for pen/thumb drives.

Another question you should be asking is who is responsible for wiping out your computer after inserting a pen/thumb drive into you USB port? You for being STUPID or the customer for being infected?

Should you even allow those drives in your shop? Think about that for a minute.

At less than $1 each a CD or DVD that should be the only way to physically transfer files. I'll assume you have turned off auto-run for those devices. Using a file host and downloading is far better.

This same question was asked many years ago when ZIP drives were the norm.

Then and now the answers are the same, I see.

Bly

I did pick up a virus that's spread by usb drives apparently.
I downloaded a free app called Flash Disinfector which I try and remember to run before I plug one in.
ESET picked up one virus, the drive's owner didn't seem too worried about it.

royster13

Our local Walmart had a 4 pack of 1gb ones the other day for 8.95...So in my mind they are almost disposable....