• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Customers who want things asap, but won't get you what you need

BillyBoy86

Dealing with 2 different clients this week who got me a little frustrated. both are repeat customers. I delivered some aluminum signs and license plates to one and they asked me when i can get there to put the graphics on their new pickup. i told them as soon as they approve the proposals i sent them. get back to my shop a little later and get a phone call. "hey did you prep the graphics for that truck yet?" i reply no, i don't have approval yet. "ok, hold off on that, me might have to change the size because we'll be doing some modifications" this is no big deal to me, except for whatever reason, they are still implying that i should be there tuesday to finish the job.

the other guy calls me monday, and asks for a quote and preview of graphics that he will install.
no problem, i get them over to him later that day, since he stated he's like to get them asap since the weather is okay this week and he can install them before it gets cold again. Called him yesterday to follow up - "oh yeah everything looks good, but i'm going to hold off for now. i'm a little short on cash"
end rant haha

fresh

Called him yesterday to follow up - "oh yeah everything looks good, but i'm going to hold off for now. i'm a little short on cash"
end rant haha

YES!!! we have 4 installs, ready to go. We called to make appointments this week and all but 1 said "hold off, i'm broke." Like, why did you order something if you didn't have the money to pay for it. And yes, these are all repeat customers that we have a good relationship with.

I mean, I guess on one hand I had to do part of the work just to get them a price, but geez. Once you approve it tell me to hold off on making it!

BillyBoy86

YES!!! we have 4 installs, ready to go. We called to make appointments this week and all but 1 said "hold off, i'm broke." Like, why did you order something if you didn't have the money to pay for it. And yes, these are all repeat customers that we have a good relationship with.

I mean, I guess on one hand I had to do part of the work just to get them a price, but geez. Once you approve it tell me to hold off on making it!
luckily for me, i didn't do any real prep work yet, but i did order some materials that i could've waited on

Sindex Printing

I have had other shop order signs from me and called them when it is done and didn't see them for about 3 weeks. They told me "they didn't have the funds to pay for it". The worst part is they told me they can't get paid for it until they deliver it. They are set up with me on net 30 terms, with an option of paying 50% after 30 and the rest in another 15 days.

CanuckSigns

I have had other shop order signs from me and called them when it is done and didn't see them for about 3 weeks. They told me "they didn't have the funds to pay for it". The worst part is they told me they can't get paid for it until they deliver it. They are set up with me on net 30 terms, with an option of paying 50% after 30 and the rest in another 15 days.

I'm always blown away when I do work for other shops and see just how bad some of their cash flow management is, quite a few shops out there using deposits from tomorrow's job to pay vendors for last month's projects.

Had a guy pick up $150 worth of engraved signs, wanted to pay me in 30 days because he had to wait for his client to pay him, do you really run a business and don't have $150 in the bank?!?

TimToad

I'm always blown away when I do work for other shops and see just how bad some of their cash flow management is, quite a few shops out there using deposits from tomorrow's job to pay vendors for last month's projects.

Had a guy pick up $150 worth of engraved signs, wanted to pay me in 30 days because he had to wait for his client to pay him, do you really run a business and don't have $150 in the bank?!?

It seems like the last six months or so has been especially difficult on collections.

You know with this all time booming economy and record setting growth, you'd think everybody would be flush and spreading the wealth.

I'm sure all the experts will chime in with how they collect in advance on 100% of their jobs and have never had to send out a statement or past due notice in their entire 80 year careers.

visual800

I'm sure all the experts will chime in with how they collect in advance on 100% of their jobs and have never had to send out a statement or past due notice in their entire 80 year careers.

LOLOL you are exactly RIGHT! These same folks gets contractors to pay them 100% upfront!.....whatever!

DerbyCitySignGuy

It's the same no matter if you're dealing with a single banner or project for an entire facility. I can't count the number of times we're sitting on a project that's tens of thousands of dollars, waiting to start production because "marketing has to get involved" or somebody on the board of directors doesn't like the font on a directional sign or something ridiculous. There's still a deadline to meet, they still want you out there installing by the go live date. We've got the go ahead on Friday afternoons for Monday installs before. It's maddening.

TimToad

It's the same no matter if you're dealing with a single banner or project for an entire facility. I can't count the number of times we're sitting on a project that's tens of thousands of dollars, waiting to start production because "marketing has to get involved" or somebody on the board of directors doesn't like the font on a directional sign or something ridiculous. There's still a deadline to meet, they still want you out there installing by the go live date. We've got the go ahead on Friday afternoons for Monday installs before. It's maddening.

I think some of that has to do with a lack of trust and a need to control every aspect of an expenditure.

In many cases in our work with local wineries, we're dealing with wealthy, egocentric, headstrong people whose name is physically their brand. The operations who delegate some authority and trust our experience and expertise to offer them the best looking, most durable options save money and time by easing up on their death grip of control.

I found this article to be a good resource for helping educate our clients as to our value we offer.

https://www.signcraft.com/online-exclusives/2019/01/six-reasons-to-trust-your-sign-designer/

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think it's any worse now, than it has been for the last 80 or so years. Back when we were lettering the stagecoaches, during the gold rush, we decided to gild them, too..... to get with the times. Ya know, they're finding gold, so let's put it on the vehicles. So many of these prospectors kept complaining about the local exchanges of getting everything but American money, we often hadda take in coins from Peru, francs, shillings and even worthless coins. Yep, those were the days my friend(s)...... and with all that extra gold, it was the most booming time of this country's history.... and y'all are complaining about some tough times. Whippersnappers. :sleepin:

DerbyCitySignGuy

I think some of that has to do with a lack of trust and a need to control every aspect of an expenditure.

In many cases in our work with local wineries, we're dealing with wealthy, egocentric, headstrong people whose name is physically their brand. The operations who delegate some authority and trust our experience and expertise to offer them the best looking, most durable options save money and time by easing up on their death grip of control.

I found this article to be a good resource for helping educate our clients as to our value we offer.

https://www.signcraft.com/online-exclusives/2019/01/six-reasons-to-trust-your-sign-designer/

Do you just force them to read the article? Haha!

We have a couple of clients that hold up the works ALL THE TIME and it's very frustrating. They want to change one little aspect of a sign that goes against brand standard and all of the sudden everything grinds to a halt while everybody and their brother gets involved. The worst is when somebody decides to retroactively make changes to a proof. The signs are already on the walls, y'all. I'm sorry the director of whatmacallit doesn't like the color your marketing department chose, but they're up. It sometimes means more money for us, but sheesh.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I don't think it's any worse now, than it has been for the last 80 or so years. Back when we were lettering the stagecoaches, during the gold rush, we decided to gild them, too..... to get with the times. Ya know, they're finding gold, so let's put it on the vehicles. So many of these prospectors kept complaining about the local exchanges of getting everything but American money, we often hadda take in coins from Peru, francs, shillings and even worthless coins. Yep, those were the days my friend(s)...... and with all that extra gold, it was the most booming time of this country's history.... and y'all are complaining about some tough times. Whippersnappers. :sleepin:

Nah, you're right. The problems are the same, just different. Same problems, new ways of complaining about them. ;)

BillyBoy86

There's still a deadline to meet, they still want you out there installing by the go live date. We've got the go ahead on Friday afternoons for Monday installs before. It's maddening.
exactly. i guarantee these guys call me monday and say hey can you be here this afternoon. used to deal with it all the time when they same guy worked for a different company. i'd get a call monday morning..."hey we got a new truck today, can you come letter it this afternoon?" meanwhile they had been planning on purchasing the truck for 3 months, but somehow they didn't know about it til that day

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Yeah, right. You're gonna do this for the guy who comes in with a used truck and wants to spend $400 on getting it lettered. Or maybe the guy who just opened a computer store and has a budget of $800, doesn't know what he wants, but has a whole sh!tload of stuff he wants to show you. Those guidelines are for mostly a select group of people and you need to size them up pret-t-t-ty quickly.

Last edited:

DerbyCitySignGuy

Yeah, right. You're gonna do this for the guy who comes in with a used truck and wants to spend $400 on getting it lettered. Or maybe the guy who just opened a computer store and has a budget of $800, doesn't know what he wants, but has a whole sh!tload of stuff he wants to show you. Those guidelines are for mostly a select grip of people and you need to size them up pret-t-t-ty quickly.

I can't decide if Gino is using urban slang or if he meant to type group.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
exactly. i guarantee these guys call me monday and say hey can you be here this afternoon. used to deal with it all the time when they same guy worked for a different company. i'd get a call monday morning..."hey we got a new truck today, can you come letter it this afternoon?" meanwhile they had been planning on purchasing the truck for 3 months, but somehow they didn't know about it til that day

Such a simple solution to that problem. Yes I can do it today for $950 or at the end of the week for $250... which would you prefer?

TimToad

Yeah, right. You're gonna do this for the guy who comes in with a used truck and wants to spend $400 on getting it lettered. Or maybe the guy who just opened a computer store and has a budget of $800, doesn't know what he wants, but has a whole sh!tload of stuff he wants to show you. Those guidelines are for mostly a select group of people and you need to size them up pret-t-t-ty quickly.

Just like one prioritizes copy on a layout, experienced, journeymen level craftspeople know how to size up and prioritize the amount of time and effort they spend on potential clients without coming off rude and uncaring about serving their needs.

I'm sure your shop does it perfectly every single time without failure and makes maximum profit on every job and collects instantly every job is done, but your refusal to give others with just as much experience credit for using good business practices because of your bias and hostility towards myself and others is an insult to professional courtesy, collegiality and the concept of mutual respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

BillyBoy86

Such a simple solution to that problem. Yes I can do it today for $950 or at the end of the week for $250... which would you prefer?
I've used that tactic before, but this one will likely not get an option. This is a customer who almost tries to "bully" me ...for lack of a better word, so i've begun telling them when i'll be there. if it doesn't work for them, they have to wait. When i first started doing work for them, they actually told me, as long as my pricing was competitive with the guy they were using before, i'd get the work. they said he'd take weeks or even months to get their stuff ready, and they had to drop off these trucks for days at a time. i always show up ready to go in a couple days, and i go to them rather than them coming to me

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've used that tactic before, but this one will likely not get an option. This is a customer who almost tries to "bully" me ...for lack of a better word, so i've begun telling them when i'll be there. if it doesn't work for them, they have to wait. When i first started doing work for them, they actually told me, as long as my pricing was competitive with the guy they were using before, i'd get the work. they said he'd take weeks or even months to get their stuff ready, and they had to drop off these trucks for days at a time. i always show up ready to go in a couple days, and i go to them rather than them coming to me

That's all you can do. You do your best, have great service and competitive pricing. That will get you more business than just about anything else.

I tell everyone.... someone is first and someone is always gonna be last and the rest of y'all are in between somewhere, so get on the list and get the ball rolling. Oh, and by the way...... $$%%$$ is needed to keep you on the list.

BillyBoy86

That's all you can do. You do your best, have great service and competitive pricing. That will get you more business than just about anything else.

That's it! thanks Gino. i'm a small time operation right now. I have been in the business for a little over 10 years, on my own for about half of those, but only full time on my own for the last year or so. Customers have followed me from previous employers, and i'm constantly getting praised on my service.....just gotta make sure i keep it going that way!