• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Lettering On Box Truck

mudmedia

I recently bidded on a job for some box trucks using 951 oracal 3 color vinyl lettering. The graphic takes up much of the truck...I have never bidded on cut lettering before so I wasnt sure where I should be at... I bidded at extremely low well I thought it was low at $6 a sq ft per color using 951. The box truck sizes are

15 FT Wide - 7 Ft Tall
19 Ft Wide - 8 Ft Tall

I got a email back saying I was about $100 more than another bid they got..I am afraid and almost sure that it is not using 951 or a cast vinyl...So my question to you guys.

Is $6 to much for cut vinyl nowadays? My Wrap stuff is at $12. How do you bid for cut lettering? I did it per color so it wasnt a shocking of a figure as overall square footage.

Is 951 the preferred vinyl for box truck sides? I dont want the stuff peeling or cracking..Is 651 or 751 ok to use in this case to get the bid? Ive never compromised my quality to beat bids but I asked the customer to try to find out what vinyl the other bid was so we can compare apples to apples.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I doubt you were $100 off, but I'd say.... let me see the other quote and see if we're bidding the same quality materials. Cover up the prices, I just wanna see the materials list and specs he's using. Otherwise, if he bid on what I'm using, he will probably be much higher.

This way you get to really see if he's telling the truth and you know if you have to move or not on your prices.

mudmedia

i will ask for material they quoted I am almost sure its not 951...

Gino do you think 951 is to much for box trucks or should i quote based off a different material...Is $6 to high i thought it was really low

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's not my call, but I think 751 is plenty good for your needs. I'm not quite sure the cost of 951. Can't say that I've ever used it.

mudmedia

Watson sure it would save buying material but that means i would be dropping my price to $5 a sq ft installed...I know every state / place is different with over head I just want to make sure i am in the ball park figure with my sq ft rate for 751 vinyl..

OldPaint

15 X 7=105 s.f X $10 s.f = $1050.00
19 X 8=153 s.f. X $10 s.f +$1530.00
for $5 s.f. you got $525.00
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''$715.00
$6 a s.f. is cheap. but INTERMEDIATE vinyl is all you needed. this why you lost bid, you quoted HP VINYL.

threeputt

MudMedia, you may think this is a bit off topic, but when you state the job is a "three color" job, I wondering something.

Is some of the lettering outlined? (to create a "two color", or even a three color letter)

Or do you simply mean that the job consists of three different colors of lettering?

In that case how is it more expensive to do the job in three colors than say, all black?

I've never understood forum members when they decscribe the job by the number of colors. And I'm probably not the only one.

I can see a three color letter being more expensive for sure on a cut vinyl job, (unless you're printing the vinyl which we do...we seldom cut letters)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey three..... that's an easy one. I'll wait to see what the others post for that one :goodpost:

Craig Sjoquist

Geez that was low & agrees with Gino

My window splash is that low and it IS temporary plus others are almost twice as high else where but in this town I'm high.

When bidding single colors cut vinyl price is more like your full color & full color is at least double that.

Signs really should not be sold by sq. ft. which do give your costs, signs are advertising and which HAVE VALUE example is. (Craigs parking ) is it on a 4x8 facing only parking lot no one sees hardly OR is it on a 4x8 facing high traffic in a crowded area.

The next value comes with the design / layout ..example is it 2 words crammed top to bottom / side to side & ya can not read it across the street Or is it a outstanding design / layout & you can read it 2 blocks away.

Another Value would be the same vinyl on a 4x8 VS gold leafed on raised letters etc. on HDU. 2 completely different images there customers will view & suited for.

Three is 3 different values not just square feet at all.

You can sell by using a 3 tier pricing ..good.. better..best and relate it to income level as well.

mudmedia

I told them there was no way I would do their trucks in Calandered vinyl just for my reputation...Pat I would have quoted in the 8-10 range and thats what I wanted to but when they gave me a figure of a estimate of what they got their truck doors lettered for I said we would have to do more than just 3-4 trucks to get the price down they said ok...So thats why I went with 6.

Three...there are no outlines it is just 3 different colors of vinyl used...What it is is refreshing the box trucks and cab trucks that already have a layout done they want to keep the same...Logo 1 color number in a diff color and address in another color...I told them we could eliminate cost by going to just a 2 color and make the address and phone number in the same color they declined that.

Craig..The way I bidded it was since the layout was simple I designed the layout to scale...Took each color and determined square footage PER color...Not sure if this is correct or not I have never quoted a big cut vinyl job all my stuff has been printed where colors are not an issue...

I dont really want to go any lower than 6 thats already lowball in my book as is...So I might just say good luck and have to redo it in a year from the other shop using calandered..

HulkSmash

I told them there was no way I would do their trucks in Calandered vinyl just for my reputation...Pat I would have quoted in the 8-10 range and thats what I wanted to but when they gave me a figure of a estimate of what they got their truck doors lettered for I said we would have to do more than just 3-4 trucks to get the price down they said ok...So thats why I went with 6.

Three...there are no outlines it is just 3 different colors of vinyl used...What it is is refreshing the box trucks and cab trucks that already have a layout done they want to keep the same...Logo 1 color number in a diff color and address in another color...I told them we could eliminate cost by going to just a 2 color and make the address and phone number in the same color they declined that.

Craig..The way I bidded it was since the layout was simple I designed the layout to scale...Took each color and determined square footage PER color...Not sure if this is correct or not I have never quoted a big cut vinyl job all my stuff has been printed where colors are not an issue...

I dont really want to go any lower than 6 thats already lowball in my book as is...So I might just say good luck and have to redo it in a year from the other shop using calandered..

Don't sweat it... Good for you for keeping your integrity, and sticking to cast vinyl for the quality. Some may not agree, but it if worth it to do it the right way the first time... i guess for some that's calendered....

mudmedia

Thanks colorado...It is good to know that 751 will do the job though...It is still cast I believe last I seen...just dont know if 951 is any better to spend the extra money on for flat sides. I refuse to use calendared / 651..Thats all I know..Been there repaired that lol.

J

john1

I understand not wanting to use calendered but i have vehicles out there 4+ years and they look good as new still. I even use Avery *gasp*

I use calendered cut vinyl on anything flat, I use cast on rivets, compound curves, hood graphics and so on

I guess it depends on how business is if you would go down on your price or not. $6 psf is pretty cheap though installed.

mudmedia

I understand not wanting to use calendered but i have vehicles out there 4+ years and they look good as new still. I even use Avery *gasp*

I use calendered cut vinyl on anything flat, I use cast on rivets, compound curves, hood graphics and so on

I guess it depends on how business is if you would go down on your price or not. $6 psf is pretty cheap though installed.

Thats the thing.. I am ALREADY at $6 using good stuff...Even if I go to calendered which I wouldnt want to do to win any bid what do I have to be at $3 lol cast or calendared $6 is still low in my opinion..But then again just like everywhere else..Theres someone always going to give it away.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The difference in a three color cut vinyl job is whether or not any of the three colors overlays any other color ... thus increasing the square footage. It is also possible that your bid was beaten by someone who is actually calculating the material square footage of just the cut vinyl and not of the entire area of the vehicle being lettered including white space.

mudmedia

The difference in a three color cut vinyl job is whether or not any of the three colors overlays any other color ... thus increasing the square footage. It is also possible that your bid was beaten by someone who is actually calculating the material square footage of just the cut vinyl and not of the entire area of the vehicle being lettered including white space.

Fred thanks for insight I think I just got out bidded which is no big deal I rather not consider myself the low ball in town...But square footage I did that I scalled the design up and only calculated what material was going to be used not overall square footage no white space nothing...And there were no 3 colors overlapping each line was a different color Just for input...

Its not a big deal if they dont come to me...I rather keep the good name and have people know that I use good stuff...You can buy a steak at dennys or black angus..Both are steaks..But quality is sure different.

THANKS S101 Posters

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The size of the job, plus your time and other overhead costs.... without seeing the layout.... you're around $1,500 or $1,600. That's sounds too low for that size trailer, regardless flat or not. I imagine you're doing the rear door.

A going rate for that kinda trailer is closer to the $2,000 mark give or take.

I still find it hard to believe that someone beat you by $100. I can see.... $200 or $300 or even $500, but not that close, unless the other guy already knew what he had to beat. I'd sooner think if the customer e-mailed you about what you need to drop is more that he wants you to do the job and beat the other guy's price. Most people, if shopping on price alone, when they find a cheaper price... they just zoom in on that and take the deal without going back & forth trying to still negotiate someone else lower. You evidently have what this guy wants, so either stick to your guns or call his bluff, by seeing the other guy's quote [without the pricing].

I've had people already try to beat me down and I was already the best price. Some people aren't happy unless they can make you change your pricing lower instead of their paying higher. Some just need to win the price war and if you move on it, he wins and awards you the deal.

It's a nice job so do what you can to seal the deal.

mudmedia

yeah he said the other place wouldnt send them a official quote...so I said well then thats what the price is...Im not gonna stoop to someones cheaper price when they arent willing to put out the quality that I do for myself..Its not worth loosing and getting into a bad habit for 1 job. Yes its a nice job...BUT my company is more important.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Great attitude.

Yeah, I'd tell him to put his faith into someone who can't put the quote in writing....... :rolleyes:

See what he gets in the end. He'll be back. Otherwise he's foolish for such an UNbusinesslike transaction. Guess the other guy also said... he has to pay in cash....:Oops: