• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Lettering On Box Truck

OldPaint

SQUARE FOOT pricing:
when you do this, dont just figure the amount of lettering you have. this is good for the client BUT NOT FOR YOU.
reason being, you are charging for the VINYL USED ONLY. what about all that VINYL WASTE YOU WEEDED AWAY? what about all that TRANSFER TAPE, you put in the trash can?
on box trucks, enclosed trailers, big flat windows/walls/boards......USE THE FULL SQ. FT. of the area where the vinyl is being applied. this now will account for the stuff in your trash can.
EXAMPLE: say you got a box truck, the whole sq.ft. of one side is 12 ft long X 7 ft tall.
when your done lettering it, you may use 9 ft X 5 ft. so you see where you are not chraging for wasted material? your vinyl is say 2 ft tall no matter hw tall the letter is. what you dont put on the truck, GOES IN THE TRASH. either the customer pays for it or you lose money by not covering the cost of it.

boxerbay

winning a bid is all in the presentation. if you just give one price without providing detailed material 951 specs and also offer alternatives on other materials 751 or 651 the client will only look at the number you have presented and he is comparing just that number. you have to ask the client if he is looking for a number or a quality job.

Speedsterbeast

Not sure if it was said, but 751 IS cast vinyl.
And odds are if they are coming back to you and telling where you need to be (unless you have an exceptionally good relationship with them) then you are already the lowest bid and they are trying to save some money

TedNes

yeah he said the other place wouldnt send them a official quote...so I said well then thats what the price is...Im not gonna stoop to someones cheaper price when they arent willing to put out the quality that I do for myself..Its not worth loosing and getting into a bad habit for 1 job. Yes its a nice job...BUT my company is more important.

Good for you. You just know that when a customer comes back to you and says you're $100 too high, that he will also be the type of customer to complain about longevity down the road, and will have long forgotten about that $100 he saved when he bought the job.....

FYI, I always put "Quoted using XX High Performance Cast Vinyl" on a quote like that, giving the customer a bit of ammo to ask questions of the other guys quoting the job, are they using high-perf cast, etc.....

J

john1

I'd be at $2400 installed. Cast vinyl btw for 2 15x7' sides plus layout design.

$1700 using calendered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mosh

I would have done it for $1,200. BTW the unemployment rate here is only 3.9%, and Warren Buffet (second richest person) lives here so just saying....

Sign Works

Mud ... Another thing noone is taking into consideration is that the invasion of new sign/wrap experts continuing to flood this industry are more than willing to wrap these box trucks at 5-6 bucks a square foot all day long and boast about how amazingly busy they are, how in the F are you gonna compete with that doing cut vinyl. In the customers mind now you are the bad guy charging too much for a lessor product, so many willing to drive this industry right into the toilet.

What really irks me is the overall decline in percieved value and quality. I still take great pride in my vehicle graphic jobs especially when I see them rolling down the road 10+ years later still looking great, this WAS the customer's expected longevity of the jobs once done within this industry. Now, how long is the warranty on these God awful eyesore wraps? One year? How in the hell do you sell that load of crap to the customer? Saw a plumbing van yesterday done about 6 months ago by the local wrap expert and vinyl was popping up out of all the recesses/grooves. Won't this lack of quality come back bite him in the ***? Quantity over quality? Me Never!

Last edited: