Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cut Lines not showing in Versaworks EPS files but will with PDF files

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ml4cs, Oct 31, 2020.

1. ml4cs

ml4cs New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Las Vegas NV
    Using CorelDRAW2020 Versaworks 6.8 (now) started with 6.71 last night but updated hoping that would fix this

So something weird started happening last night, when I create a new EPS file with the cut contour line (as I have done hundreds of times...maybe more) the cut line doesnt show up in versaworks, tried updating, restarting, running in admin, different export setting for eps and none of them work

when I exported the same file as PDF it pulled the cut lines in no problem

This is not isolated to one file, this is happening with every SVG image I have tested it on now.

I am sure there is something simple setting wise I am doing wrong but I cannot figure it out

Tried different color export setting, native, RGB and CMYK convert and not convert, literally tried every combination, ensure the spot color was set correctly CutContour etc

Tags:
  2. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    Why not print the .pdfs if they work?

I'm thinking it's a setting that must have been changed in CorelDRAW for .eps files (it's not creating outlines out of the spot colour strokes or something, is it? Like, did a box get checked that wasn't supposed to wheile saving?)

3. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Are there any transparencies/gradients in the file?

Versaworks has struggled with those for many years, only resolving the issue recently I believe.
    Here is a video on how to construct a file that should work that hopefully should work:

4. MP Custom

MP Custom Member

I have often have random issues with eps and ai files not exporting the contour or just corrupting. 10 out of 10 times just clearing the catche or shutting down then restarting gets it working again.

5. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Not sure if corel has transparency....but you may want to look into that. Same issue arises within Illustrator and Caldera for us once in a while.

6. Lindsey

Lindsey Not A New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Canada
    Sounds like you already reviewed the file export settings, but when exporting as an .eps in Corel, there is a "convert spot colors to cmyk/rgb" check box. Make sure it's un-checked.

7. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    For what it's worth, we've been using only PDF files in Versaworks for many years now. Maybe it's time to switch? EPS is a legacy format, so it only really makes sense to use it if you're on a legacy system that doesn't support PDF.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    We also almost exclusively use PDFs with VersaWorks as well. Just a workflow that we use.

The only frustrations we face is when have to open up one in Illustrator and there's silly masks everywhere.. ..but since we have a working .AI, that isn't generally a problem.

9. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    PDF is a format for finished production files, not working files, and clipping masks are a basic building block of how PDF files are built. Editing a PDF in Illustrator means you're taking a production format and reverse-engineering it back to a working format, which is always going to be a bit messy.

If you don't want the mess of clipping masks, use AI files, as you said. Illustrator can open PDFs, but it is not meant to be a PDF editor. Adobe's PDF editor is an application called Acrobat.

10. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    when you have to flatten the images then it should work. don't know why it works that way that's usually the issue

11. ml4cs

ml4cs New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Las Vegas NV
    Thanks for all the feedback, looks like right now I will stay with exporting as PDF as I have tried so many, basically every, possible way to get the eps to work but it doesn't seem to matter on the production side