• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion cut or not to cut- vinyl and trailer panels

petepaz

just curious what everyone else does?
laying cut vinyl on trailer and i cut the vinyl that overlaps the panels. i have found in the past from the movement of the panels the vinyl will lift and get dirt underneath causing the letters to fail.
when i cut them you do get a little shrinkage but a lot less issues .
just what i have experienced.
(also i and using cast sign vinyl or cast wrap vinyl/lam )

Attachments

• 20191005_152417.jpg
    20191005_152417.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 276
  • 20191005_152419.jpg
    20191005_152419.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 352

MikePro

+1 cut it. the failure from shifting panels looks a LOT worse than a little edge-curl or "gap" in the graphic.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Yup. Always cut it. Otherwise there's way too many things that could cause failure in the vinyl. I don't cut away any vinyl. Just right down the edge of the metal and then jam a squeegee on there to make sure it's applied well.

msenjur

ofcurse you should do some good cleaning around corner and behind it as far as you get.

I did it the same way, never had any problems. If you use quality vinyl, you can cut it at suchangle, that some material will go around corner. Make sure you use heat blower. I im doing some short term installation, and dont use quality vinyl, i cut it in that way, that no vinyl can get around edge. Acually edge is visible.

Brisi.jpg