• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut plotting on printable magnet

KH t's n Signs

Looking for some help. I have a customer looking for 3x2 magnets with clipped corners. I have a HP315 and cutter bundle. I am wondering if my cutter can cut the Diggimaxx after I print on it. If anyone currently does this, what type of knife pressure are you using. Thanks for the help ahead of time.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I take it they're asking for many magnets? Clipped corners"? "Rounded" corners?
Why not outsource it? We do custom magnets in-house but only limited numbers otherwise way cheaper to outsource.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Save yourself the aggravation. Cut magnets by hand. Get a corner rounder if you don't have one.

cmoist

You're not going to get great results using a roll fed cutter. Assuming you'll be printing and cutting 30 mil, it's super heavy. Your pinch rollers will slip and it will require a great deal of babysitting. When I was cutting on a roll fed cutter, I would limit the sheet size to about 30", and would babysit the sheet through the entire cut. Even then, depending on the size of the cut, there may be some slipping. Unfortunately, on that cutter, you cannot add pinch rollers, which go a long way towards increasing accuracy.

As far as pressure, you'll need around 600-650g with a sharp 60 degree blade. On my roll cutter, 350g (the max) would cut about 1/3-1/2 of the way through, requiring folding and trimming when plucking out. I try to cut about 90% through on my flatbed so they are easier to pluck out.

I'd echo the above - either hand finish or farm them out. Unfortunately, corner rounders are also a bit pricey to buy for just one job, so depending on the size of the job, it may be best to farm them out.

bannertime

Corner rounder or cut by hand. We recently stopped buying roll stock of magnets and outsource anything over 12x24. Get precut from Grimco, mount, and round. Done. Custom size? 4over. Done. Magnets are a dying product. I wouldn't put too much time and money into producing them. i.e. don't destroy your cutter for a set of magnets.

KH t's n Signs

I take it they're asking for many magnets? Clipped corners"? "Rounded" corners?
Why not outsource it? We do custom magnets in-house but only limited numbers otherwise way cheaper to outsource.
Yes, My customer is asking for up to 800. I haven't really found a good place online except maybe uprinting. Any suggestions?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Would you mind answering the question of what is a 'clipped corner' ?? Is it a radius or a scalloped (negative radius) corner ??

If it's one or the other, you should be able to put the cost for a corner rounder in there and do them all by hand/machine. You could get a monkey to do that in less than a day.

KH t's n Signs

Radius corner. I tried looking on google just now. Any help on where I can get one? Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. Only reason I think about doing these is the time factor.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
I've tried to print/cut magnet on my VS-540..... total PITA! Not worth it, I even went down to .015 material. Never again. We outsource to Stouse

petepaz

two words...die cut.
we do it in house all the time. make a steel rule die and die cut.
if it was a small qty you could probably do it in your plotter but that will just score and you will have to break them out

KH t's n Signs

Thanks. I just spoke with my customer. They want to do 1,000, I talked them out of clipped corners and just do square. However, I would still like to outsource but I need them by July 1st. Anyone know of anybody that can do it for a reasonable rate? Also, I am new to the forum, been perusing a long time but if I should ask that question elsewhere just let me know.