Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutter not closing some letters and shapes

Discussion in 'Graphtec' started by jsburk0, Feb 14, 2010.

1. jsburk0

jsburk0 New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I have a graphtec ce5000-60 vinyl cutter and it does a fairly good job with the exception of closing some letters and shapes. I have read a couple posts about getting signgo and using the overcut setting. I currently use Illustrator with the Cutting Master 2 software plugin to cut vinyl. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and have found a solution. Oh, also I use a 45 degree blade. Will better software with possibly an overcut function, using a different degree blade, or is there another setting that I'm not aware of. Would appreciate any help.

2. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Some have had that problem.. not me.. did you try the overcut?

3. Lau Designs

Lau Designs Member

Jan 13, 2010
    You may want to check your offset. That may be a contributing to your problem.

4. Jim Doggett

Jim Doggett Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Definitely sounds like the blade offset is too high. Check the default specification, and be sure the enhanced overcut is enabled.

My $0.02,

Jim

5. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    try oiling the piston..it is probably sticking. The blade is starting to move before it all the way down causing the un-cut spots. The CE THINKS it made the cut, but the blade was stuck.

Attached Files:

6. sinetist

sinetist Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Gabriola BC, Canada
    Don't know if this is what's happening to you but when I first got my Graphtec it was doing that on quite a few letter shapes. I discovered that the way it came was set up for pen plotting (the first number on the display was #2). Since I changed that to a #1 (for blade cutting) everything has been fine since.

7. trakers

trakers Very Active Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Midwest
  8. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    This most likely is your problem but one, it's not a piston and two, don't oil it. Blow it out with air, oil will just make a nasty sticky mess. If you simply have to lubricate this mechanism just use a little, as in a tiny amount, of graphite. A contaminated tool mechanism. especially the up/down part, is the number one cause of incomplete and otherwise flakey cutting. Just blow it out.

It's not the offset setting unless you've recently changed it for no good reason. If so then it might be, but still, probably not. Offset, once set, doesn't change.